My next Dark Miasma (or Affinity) character

Lyrium

Beam Rifle/Dark Miasma Corruptor and Symphony Control/Darkness Affinity Controller are my two personal favorites.  Beam Rifle adds on to the already strong Dark Miasma debuffs, and combined they pack a punch on top of Beam Rifle's very good single target damage.  You'll be able to solo GMs relatively easily.  Symphony Control... I just love Symphony Control.  It has all of the controls, but it feels like a ranged damage set in play, and the pet acts like a mini-Domination, making your controls stronger.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've done a DM/Rad Defender as well as an Ice/DM Corruptor and its mirror a DM/Ice Defender.  Enjoyed them all.  I'd have created at least one Dark Affinity by now if the computer hadn't gone belly up.  All we're strong but Ice plus Dark Miasma is very tough as both Defender or Corruptor as everything is slowed, recharged debuffed and can't hit when they do get an attack off.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Illusion/Dark Controller if you don't already have one.  I have an ill/dark/psi with (barely) perma-IW who's just AMAZING!  The combo is a bit clicky, but once you get rolling with perma-PA, the good times just keep on coming.  Mine is basically "summon, debuff, attack ...aaaaand everything's dead now. NEXT!"

Edited by Shocktacular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm currently Ironman-ing a Dark/Rad Corrupter.  He's only lvl 12 (and completely solo), but I can see just how powerful he'll be, at 50 and on teams.

• Thanks 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

I’m leveling an electric/dark controller at the moment. The battlefield control is unparalleled IMO, even at low levels thanks to the combination of Static Field + Darkest Night. You can’t always feel how impactful your support really is in this game but I’ve been on several teams/TFs with this guy where I could tell I was carrying. I don’t know if I can go back to Dark Miasma after this, Fade and Soul Absorption are just so good.

The downside is that all that control and support comes at the cost of doing no damage whatsoever. Procs help a little bit but I ended up taking Arcane Bolt to feel less anemic. It’s also fairly starved for slots and power choices while leveling given that 8 of the 9 DA powers are amazing and you want Hasten ASAP to keep Fade rolling.

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later

I have a Dark/Martial blaster that is the most fun I've had with any of my toons.  The debuffs of dark blast along with reaction time and burst of speed allows me to even tank.  Ki push and Moonbeam make me laugh out loud.  No real problems leveling, no endurance issues and between the two powersets you get a nice combination of ranged and melee attacks.

I 50d a Dark Dark Corr long ago.  Tried building and running him as a Blaster.  parked him.  I started a new Dark Dark Corr end of December and have been running all Redside content with him.  Just finishing up Sharkhead.  Now I understand Dark Miasma!  All the powers come in early.  Each has a special rhythm in combat.  Tar Patch before Blackstar is a buildup!  Dark Pit (from Dark Blast) is a powerful minion stun, short but sweet.  Howling Twilight on a Boss or AV?  sweet.  Fearsome Stare is damn effective for quite a while.  Darkest Night is a hoot.  I actually love it when EBs and AVs start running around the map trying to shake it off lol.  Talk about not having to worry about them doing DPS.... and Twilight Grasp is solid gold.  On my Corruptor I will probably not take Petrifying Gaze and definitely not Black Hole.  I find a single ST hold minimally useful.  (My Dark/Temp/Soul Blaster has 3 ST holds....now you're talking) Dark Servant slotted with to hit debuff is in the future.  

Dark Miasma is a solid toolkit for taking apart groups.  The only pain is learning to lay down the fear cone lol.  I use a lot of cones and still get bamboozled by a shifting target once in a while.  Why no aim and fire for cone arcs?  WHHHHHHYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

• Like 1

ALL DARK ALL THE TIME!

All the above is great advice. I have two controllers that were very pleasant surprises:

* Dark/Nature/Leviathan: dropping Shadow Field targeted on myself with Entangling Aura running is bliss. Haunt, the puppy and Water Spout are all fire-and-forget for damage. And the team support is pretty great. (Theme song: “Religious as Hell” by the March Violets)

* Gravity/Dark/Stone: ultimate map control. Tele-stun mobs into zone of madness. Taking Fold Space too, it’s like pulling every opponent into a wood chipper of nightmares. With Fade, the character is walking tank and everyone hits back like a declawed, out of phase kitten. (Theme song: “Black No. 1” Type O Negative)

Addendum: If not mastermind phobic, it’s well worth revisiting Necro/Dark after the recent primary changes. Necro has balls to wall burst now and pets out the ass with a recharge focused build. It’s a seat of the pants crazy combination.  (Theme Song: “Something Must Break” by Joy Division)

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Old school thought
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.