The “Rule of Cool”

StriderIV

Hi heroes,

I thought this was a pretty fun topic to get started, inspired by @InvaderStych and his “rule of cool.” 😎 

Concept trumps all in this game. So what concept powerset combo do you have that is just plain COOL to you?

For me, it has to be my Psi Melee/Shield Scrapper, Aegis Blade. Energy shield and swords that can also throw people around with telekinesis? Count me in.

After that, it might be my Water/Cold Corruptor. Catch for him is, I color the water all dark and role play it as “shadow manipulation.” Because what goes better than dark and cold, am I right?

Lastly, my Thermal/Ice Defender. Mostly because the opposing powersets is very thematic and they actually just work very well together.

I’d love to hear some of your powerset combos/archetypes that you play/have see that you just think are beyond cool.

• Like 3

I have a DP/Nin Blaster that's a space pirate.

Anyhow, one if my favorite (but not crazy effective) things to do is jump into a mob, Hail of Bullets into Lotus Drops. 

The animation flow is seemless. After a the gun-kata display she leaps up, draws her sword and spins around to land in a crouch. 

Very cool.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Anyhow, one if my favorite (but not crazy effective) things to do is jump into a mob, Hail of Bullets into Lotus Drops. 

The animation flow is seemless. After a the gun-kata display she leaps up, draws her sword and spins around to land in a crouch. 

Very cool.

How is the flow with the different weapon animations? Don’t find it choppy at all?

17 minutes ago, biostem said:

I have a water/bio sentinel whose powers are themed around blood control, and it looks really cool while playing...

I like that theme, and have thought of it myself. Like a “Bloodmancer” with Water paired with either Regen or Bio.

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

I like that theme, and have thought of it myself. Like a “Bloodmancer” with Water paired with either Regen or Bio.

What's cool about bio armor on sentinels is that the T9 becomes a ranged cone, so it feels even more like you are draining/drawing in enemies' life force/blood/what have you...

• Thumbs Up 1

I've really had a lot of fun with my Sav/Shield stalker who's been tricked out to have three "attack teleport" powers*, which I think I use for something like two-thirds of my attack chain.  I think it's really cool to target some guy up on that catwalk over there and - hey presto! - I'm hitting him without all that "trying to jump/fly up there and worrying about overshooting, did I land right," work.  I don't have a main, I have a few main-ish toons - and he's one of them. 

OTOH, he does for the most part wear a goofy costume based on the cartoon character Pink Panther, so maybe it's a wash. 

*Savage Leap, Shield Charge, Spring Attack

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, StriderIV said:

How is the flow with the different weapon animations? Don’t find it choppy at all?

In the case I mentioned not even remotely it's totally fluid.

Otherwise just need to be concious about how you're playing, but generally no. Kat and DP play nice with each other when no redraw is on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree that Dual Pistols/Martial Combat is probably the most kewl looking group of animations. Rather cinematic, although there are a couple of DP animations that are little too dramatic for long-session 'button mashing'.

Street Justice, and to a slightly lesser extent the glowing pom-poms and punch-punch of Energy Melee have always done a good job representing comic-fist-actions, YMMV.

The (new) Battle Axe combined with Shield Defense does a kewl job in grouping up enemies... add the Teleport pool for even more options.

As far as power pools: The first three powers in Presence are not particularly useful (certain mot in combination) but I think all five powers have kewl animations if you lean into the concept and effects of those powers. In contrast, I grok what Sorcery and Force of Will are going for, but I find them a little to over-the-top... Sorcery for the extra artwork and Force of Will because I cannot reconcile the Hulk-like Foot Stomp of Takeoff in the same pool with the Professor X-like animation of Weaken Resolve.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Psyonico said:

I'll second Martial Combat, especially paired with Dual Pistols.  That combo just looks *so* cool.

And its fun to play too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

6 hours ago, tidge said:

I agree that Dual Pistols/Martial Combat is probably the most kewl looking group of animations. Rather cinematic, although there are a couple of DP animations that are little too dramatic for long-session 'button mashing'.

Street Justice, and to a slightly lesser extent the glowing pom-poms and punch-punch of Energy Melee have always done a good job representing comic-fist-actions, YMMV.

The (new) Battle Axe combined with Shield Defense does a kewl job in grouping up enemies... add the Teleport pool for even more options.

As far as power pools: The first three powers in Presence are not particularly useful (certain mot in combination) but I think all five powers have kewl animations if you lean into the concept and effects of those powers. In contrast, I grok what Sorcery and Force of Will are going for, but I find them a little to over-the-top... Sorcery for the extra artwork and Force of Will because I cannot reconcile the Hulk-like Foot Stomp of Takeoff in the same pool with the Professor X-like animation of Weaken Resolve.

Great suggestions @tidge. I have a Stj/Bio Scrapper I've been playing that is Power Ranger themed haha. I really enjoy the CRUNCH of StJ.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

There are some little details that are very cool as well.

Taunt animations from a weapon + shield combo are excellent.

Stalker Electrical Melee: The wind-up on AS sounds like a rattlesnake. Too cool. 😄

So I have never seen the Taunt animations for a weapon/shield combo! I'd probably only run it on a Tanker haha. Do they hit the shield with the weapon or something?

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 2:54 AM, StriderIV said:

For me, it has to be my Psi Melee/Shield Scrapper, Aegis Blade. Energy shield and swords that can also throw people around with telekinesis? Count me in.

Same sentiment (albeit different name!). Even took Boogle. Why? Because it’s a *cool* way to make new, short-term friends!

• Like 2

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Do they hit the shield with the weapon or something?

aaaaaah-Yup ...

... iirc it's two hits and pointing towards the target with the weapon ...

*Clank* *Clank* *Point*          

... (edit) ... In general /SD gets some interesting animation quirks.  There's an alternate for Brawl that is backhanding someone with the shield. Fun at low levels.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

16 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Very cool.

Even better if you have Winters Chance for Knockdown in Hail of bullets.

Fulc Shift > Hail of bullets with them all falling over at the start is glorious and why DP/Kin is probably my favourite character to play. 

I've also a weird fondness for my Ice/Traps/Stone junkbot with sorcery & fold space. Everything recoloured an off yellow to look like pollution and smog. Very not meta but weirdly entertaining (I've a fondness for point-blank-squishies going back to a Fire/Rad controller on live).

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

There's an alternate for Brawl that is backhanding someone with the shield. Fun at low levels.

I love this one and the kick animation that plays as well when a shield is equipped.

Except it's a bit of a letdown that such a quick animation for kick exists but the Fighting pool kick uses the same animation only way slower. And will unequip your weapon. What's up with that?!