The “Rule of Cool”

StriderIV

On 12/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, InvaderStych said:

aaaaaah-Yup ...

... iirc it's two hits and pointing towards the target with the weapon ...

*Clank* *Clank* *Point*          

... (edit) ... In general /SD gets some interesting animation quirks.  There's an alternate for Brawl that is backhanding someone with the shield. Fun at low levels.

I just finished leveling up and incarnating my shield/axe tanker (she's a D&D fighter portaled into Paragon). The taunt is pointing your weapon at them and shouting, then smacking your shield with the weapon repeatedly until you get interrupted or do something. 

And backhanding people with the shield is why brawl is still on my hotbar, even at 50. I put an acc/dmg in it, and use it to finish off enemies that are clinging to life by a thread. Either slap them with the shield, or if they're down you kick them in the face.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stone Armor tank doing Martial Arts kicks and flips in granite form 😆

Personally, anything Super Strength with Foot Stomp is classic superhero.  Also, back on live I made (and remade on HC) a DB/WP scrapper, because the sets were released together.  Classic and effective.

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

• 2 weeks later

I know I'm necro-ing this thread, but...

My ill/dark/psi controller is incredibly awesome!  She's got perma PA, perma fade, and perma Indomitable Will (so no getting mezzed!).  My memory has a hard time grasping her amazingness, because every time I play her I end up thinking "wow, I knew this character was good, but daaaaaaamn!".

On another note, Lightning Rod always felt really super to me; you teleport in in a huge burst of electricity that zaps in like a lightning bolt, kapow!  Definitely a "FEEL MY POWAH!!!" moment every time.

• Like 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

2 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

I know I'm necro-ing this thread, but...

My ill/dark/psi controller is incredibly awesome!  She's got perma PA, perma fade, and perma Indomitable Will (so no getting mezzed!).  My memory has a hard time grasping her amazingness, because every time I play her I end up thinking "wow, I knew this character was good, but daaaaaaamn!".

On another note, Lightning Rod always felt really super to me; you teleport in in a huge burst of electricity that zaps in like a lightning bolt, kapow!  Definitely a "FEEL MY POWAH!!!" moment every time.

Ill/Dark is one of those combos that can do crazy things in this game!

And I agree with you: hard to beat Lightning Rod for pure superpower “feel” in this game haha. My current too COOL hero is my KM/Ice Armor (pun intended) Stalker.

Oh, I forgot: One of the best parts about ill/dark is that the buffs from /dark are enough to keep the Phantasm alive most of the time, so he's actually *gasp* USEFUL!

• Thumbs Up 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!

Illusion/Dark Controller was a great combination for me in the past in terms of mitigating damage and providing incredible support. Though over time, I felt like the damage was incredibly lackluster and I didn't find the -ToHit elements synergize super well with pets that are well... invincible.

Illusion / Trick Arrow - My coolest Controller

One day, I was inspired by someone that had an Illusion/Trick Arrow Controller and eventually made one for myself. This combination became my favorite among Controllers and the Primary/Secondary synergy is incredible. Debuffing enemies are how you can indirectly "buff" your Phantom Army damage - and Trick Arrow has plenty of options for that! There is also the added perk of decoys gathering enemies into a tight congregation for lining up all your debuffs - especially Oil Slick. Did I forget to mention that your pets will even help you ignite Oil Slick? Toss in a Reactive Interface incarnate! You'll never get tired of seeing your enemies tossed and sauteed on a Controller!

Normally when clicking glowies with enemies present - your Stealth would briefly drop and enemies would immediately engage you. With Flash Arrow, you can create a pseudo-Stealth effect as long as you haven't already generated aggro. With Superior Invisibility and Flash Arrow - you can meander and click glowy objects without disruptions!

You get to use a bow! This pairing suits Fairy concepts well if you look at your Arrows having Magical properties.

This combination inspired me to create more complicated Macros/Binds. Specifically ones that will launch abilities at my currently selected target or placed as a normal ground target location if I do not have a target. Since Trick Arrow has so many ground target selection abilities - this turned a mouse cursor management nightmare chore into rapid-fire flicking.

powexec_name Phantom Army$$powexec_location target Phantom Army

Edited by Nayeh

On 12/7/2022 at 2:53 AM, Psyonico said:

I'll second Martial Combat, especially paired with Dual Pistols.  That combo just looks *so* cool.

and twirling, always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

13 hours ago, Nayeh said:

Illusion/Dark Controller was a great combination for me in the past in terms of mitigating damage and providing incredible support. Though over time, I felt like the damage was incredibly lackluster and I didn't find the -ToHit elements synergize super well with pets that are well... invincible.

Illusion / Trick Arrow - My coolest Controller

*describes the awesomeness in detail*

... You realize I'm going to have to make another alt now, right?  Thanks...

😛

Also, will the Bombardment: Chance for Fire Damage proc ignite the oil slick if you slot it in oil slick arrow?  Do you know?

Edited by Shocktacular

5 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

... You realize I'm going to have to make another alt now, right?  Thanks...

😛

Also, will the Bombardment: Chance for Fire Damage proc ignite the oil slick if you slot it in oil slick arrow?  Do you know?

I did not slot Oil Slick Arrow with any Procs. Nor do I know the behavior of slotting Oil Slick Arrow itself with Procs. I opted to frankenslot 3 Damage/Recharge IO types to maximize uptime.

Tools for igniting flames:

Acid Arrow, heavily Proc-slotted, can consistently activate it alone.

Phantasm

Phantom Decoys

Enemy attacks

Teammates

Reactive Interface Interface

Assault Hybrid Incarnate

Macro: Magic Origin attack (alternatively Taser Dart?) powexec_name Apprentice Charm$$target_custom_next Oil Slick

I rarely have to opt for using the Macro with all of the above mentioned items. Use the Swap Ammo FIRE image icon for maximum coolness factor.

Sometimes I'll even do something goofy like use my Croatoa Sorcery Temporary Power attack to light it.

7 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

Do you know?

I am not overly familiar with Oil Slick, but my gut feeling is no.

In a straight-forward attack (blasts, melee, etc) proc rolls are simultaneous with the attack. If you check combat logs with time stamps on you will note that all damage is applied at the same time.

There are some exceptions to this sort of thing. Easiest examples are the powers Savage Leap and Mass Levitate.  Each of these have a delay before damage is applied.  (Leap is two powers, the second has an activation time of 0, but it is the one that applies damage).  Placing a -Res piece in these will roll for the proc chance before damage is applied so those two powers are affected by their own -Res piece.

Oil slick is a pseudo-pet, so if it written such that the pet rolls for the proc then no it won't light itself as it won't make the roll until the p-pet "attacks."

If the power that summons the p-pet rolls the damage proc, then it might.  Gut feeling is that it doesn't though. Since there is no actual attack roll until the Slick is ignited, most likely procs in the power are rolled on ignition and damage applied to targets.

And here comes someone who's tried it in game to correct me in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... 🤣

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 1/2/2023 at 5:03 AM, Gulbasaur said:

and twirling, always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom

My good man have you heard the gospel of SPIN and thine savior which is a Staff/Regen Brute with WHIRLWIND?

Nothing is cooler than that! Whirlwind saves 🙏👼🛐

• Like 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Costumed to look like the Egyptian God of the Sun, Vengeance of Ra is my Radiation/Fire Blaster with Rad powers colored yellow/white to look like sunlight. The most iconic thing about him is when I use Neutron Bomb. He holds his hands directly over his head, summoning the Sun(yellow energy ball), which he then hurls at his opponents in an arc. In Egyptian wall paintings, Ra is often depicted with the Sun on his head, so it seemed fitting, and in play it looks pretty cool.

Edited by Mopery
Apophis stole a letter...
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

What, me worry?

I created a Necro/Pain Domination MM, loosely inspired by the "undead father" concept behind Nurgle.

Her name is Mater Dolorosa, and the idea is of a mother whose love extends beyond the grave and who endures great pain in eternal devotion to her children. The costume is a mix of Imperial Dynasty, lace, a high-collar mantle and other elements supported by a tall, slender and extremely buxom physique to create an imposingly regal and hyperfeminine and fertile look, with the undead side of things being driven home with the super pale skin and the supernatural face. I made her good-aligned, since love and devotion is always a "good" emotion, even if it extends beyond death.

Edited by Dugunthi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later

I've haven't found a way that leverages it into a strong build, but mixing dual pistols with dark powers to make a "necro gunner" is on my to do list.   

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow