Reverberant Pet

AlienMafia

Reverberant Symphony Pet  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How useful is the Reverberant Symphony pet in TF content or higher.

• Not useful at all and repeced out of it
    • Not very useful but kinda just meh
    • Useful
    • Decently useful and adds a bit to production of team
    • Very useful and usually makes or breaks teams while fully slotted

I hate most pets in most games.  1) you are a slave to their theme.  They define who you are.  2) You have moderate to no control over them. You have to figure what the game wants you to do to get them to sort of do what you want them to do. They define what you do.  3) You are generally moving in a way that allows your pets to work, or have to sit in one place. They define the pace.

Pets suck.  

You said it, O Master of Snark!
I am forced to buy some kind of teleport on my Ill/* controllers, because the Phantom Army stand around looking... well, very nice, actually, because I modeled them on myself... but they don't attack anything unless I TP behind the baddies. Once they charge in, I can TP back and they'll stay engaged, but I'm forever saying "BRB" to PUGS so they know I'm not running out on them.

But my Symphony pets are just ignorable. They sometimes help, but no need to be a slave to them. Is that an improvement?

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

You said it, O Master of Snark!
I am forced to buy some kind of teleport on my Ill/* controllers, because the Phantom Army stand around looking... well, very nice, actually, because I modeled them on myself... but they don't attack anything unless I TP behind the baddies. Once they charge in, I can TP back and they'll stay engaged, but I'm forever saying "BRB" to PUGS so they know I'm not running out on them.

But my Symphony pets are just ignorable. They sometimes help, but no need to be a slave to them. Is that an improvement?

Yes.  In that way.  But the pets still define you, at least partly.   It irks me.   Take Lore pets.  Fire and forget.  Except…..   If you are a closet RPer like me.  No, I do not go around ((talking)) to people.  I just AM.  Usually a Snarky old Vampire.  Sometimes a Snarky robot.   But when my all powerful Vampire self drops the Lore pets I am saying “I am an Incarnate COH Well worshipping dweeb. Hi everyone”.  Grrrrr. If I could make them gargoyles and bats we could talk.  But they are inevitably these giant jagged things that have nothing to do with my theme.  I would run a MM.  if I could have all zombies.   I have a story for that.  I do not have a story for zombies death knights dark servants black hounds and liches.  Lichie?  Lichs?   Oh bother. Sometimes I want to run a Dark Controller or Corruptor.   The pet stops me 98% time.  I have a few.  But then the damn pet….telling me I am part of its story.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

I hate most pets in most games.  1) you are a slave to their theme.  They define who you are.  2) You have moderate to no control over them. You have to figure what the game wants you to do to get them to sort of do what you want them to do. They define what you do.  3) You are generally moving in a way that allows your pets to work, or have to sit in one place. They define the pace.

Pets suck.  

I'm more or less the exact opposite. I love pet classes. Always have. Probably why masterminds are my favorite AT.

But I don't think a pet "defines who you are". Certainly for MMs they're the vast majority of your damage, and your defense (bodyguard mode), but you have control over them.

With troller/dom pets (other than illusion, since PA is one of the key features of the set), I treat them as just bonus stuff going on. On my grav trollers, singy is basically just a floating "get the eff off me" zone that hovers around me. I don't pay much attention to it, other than to occasionally snicker as I see helpless enemies floating around, or go flying away. I don't go out of my way to bring it into combat, since enemies always end up charging me, and thus singy just starts slapping stuff around on its own. Essentially I treat the pets as a "bodyguard" of sorts, who just hangs around me and engages anything that gets close enough to be a threat. I rarely use lore pets except against big bosses/GMs/AVs, so when they come out they're already going to be engaging something. 

The only time I really work to position my pets is with PA, since they definitely seem to have a very short tether. But I tend to always build for perma-PA, so once the fight is over and I'm moving on to the next one, it's about time to summon another set anyway.

And I always try to pick lore pets that go with my theme. If I can't find one that does? Ehh, I don't bother to use them. Am I "nerfing" myself by not getting them? Sure, probably. But to me it's "form over function".

As far as the symphony pet goes, I haven't tried that set yet, as I just came back to the game a couple months ago after other stuff kept me busy for a couple years. I'm curious to try it out, as I have a "D&D Bard" concept that I think it would work for. Thinking symphony/kinetic troller. Though everything I've heard says  that symphony is kind of an iffy set in general, and the pet is even moreso.

Edited by WumpusRat
  • Like 2

My singer Blue Aria and her pet Rock-A-Pella are fun.  I like the fact that it fires powers parallels to what I am shooting and once we are in the groove it really adds up.  Considering the amount of cones in the Symphonic (or Symphony) Control set, the fact that tis throwing ST shots is noting but help.  I've been able to work mobs above my paygrade as well as solo rather fast compared to other trollers I've run (Ill, Grav, Mind).  With procs slotted its even better.  Now keep in mind this is a Controller not a Dominator.

Furthermore the fact that this pet is not like the others in any way makes it more fun and in my opinion should NOT have their mechanic changed.  Reverberant is literally supposed to mean an echo, a bouncing of sound so it copying my shots is spot on.

Is it perfect?  No.  Its slow as sap and gets caught a lot on overhangs (bottom of the entry tunnel overhand in Snaptooth's cave is the latest issue) as well as doors and probably chewing gum but it flies so when my Aria soars so does Rock-A-Pella and does tend to station keep with me so its not chasing around enemies.

Edited by High_Beam
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I’m leveling a symphonic dominator but yet do not have the pet. Opinion forming soon*.

As for pets (MMs excluded) generally, I see them more as DOTs with a very efficient cast IF they can survive long enough. As for RP, I think of them as a chaotic manifestation of overflowing power. This is usually for controllers. With level 50 incarnate dominators, usually end up leaving out the pet, or slotting it with 4 pieces of  a recharge pet intensive set but never using it. 

*”soon” meaning when I stop doing other things and focus. And when the surge ends at work. And after the holidays. And probably something else.

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I cast a "decently useful" vote.  First and foremost, it's not a pet that annoys me (looking at you Phantasm and Fly Trap).  It stays well behind and doesn't wander off to fetch unwelcome new aggro.  Like said a couple of posts ago, it's good for stacking effects which on my troller is helpful.  It can be counter to what I'm hoping for when I want to keep a particular mob confused (a rikti guardian for example) and it holds it but I can live with that.  Since the question is about team content that's sort of irrelevant anyway.

10 hours ago, High_Beam said:

Is it perfect?  No.  Its slow as sap and gets caught a lot on overhangs (bottom of the entry tunnel overhand in Snaptooth's cave is the latest issue) as well as doors and probably chewing gum but it flies so when my Aria soars so does Rock-A-Pella and does tend to station keep with me so its not chasing around enemies.

I've noticed that a lot about the singularity lately too. It's so insanely slow, and gets stuck on all sorts of things. I wonder if the pathfinding AI is just borked for them (they likely use the same one). Maybe I'll toss up a suggestion on the forum to improve the flight speed of singy and reverb. Because it's annoying how easily singy falls behind, even when I'm not moving quickly.