I want a new mouse, looking for suggestions.

MunkiLord

So over the weekend I bought a cheap $10 mouse for my Chromebook and when I saw it had a few extra buttons I decided to try it on my PC and use some binds, it's a huge improvement being able to fire off most of my powers using just a mouse and a few key combos. I bought the cheapest most portable mouse since this wasn't intended for my PC, and I would like something a little better. Those of you that have a nice mouse with some extra buttons, what do you use? I'm not currently looking to spend $100 on a mouse, but something in the $35-50 range would be nice.

Also, might as well share some of your favorite uses for extra mouse buttons while you're in here.

I used to be a fan of the Razer Naga, but honestly the 12-16 side buttons just became too much. And my thumb sometimes rested one one and caused misfires, which was not pleasant.

I switched a couple of years ago to the Razer Naga Hex, only has 7 buttons in a radial config with a thumb rest in between them. While they're designed for MOBAs, I love it for this. I'm using the v2 which I got around 70 or so a few years back, and I know the v1 goes a quite bit cheaper so may be in your price range.

Those look amazing. When I get around to building my new computer, I will be spending more on a mouse and a keyboard. So I'm gonna keep that expensive one on my wishlist and look more into that v1 for the immediate. Thank you.

I have no clue why the price is so high on Amazon. I grabbed the v2 for like 70, as I said. They are more than 100 bucks more than that now. I do see the earlier models refurbished for 35 though.

I always like the Logitech G series mice. But lately the base seems to have gotten narrower and narrower, especially where my thumb rests. feels like I'm constantly trying to pinch my thumb and pinky together. Really annoying that so many have gone this route, really cramps my hand.

Currently using a Corsair M65 RGB, still not exactly what I'm looking for but it fits comfortably which is my #1 priority over buttons.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I have been having problems with the Logitech gaming mice for the last couple years.  A $70 mouse should not last less than a year before acting up.  Perhaps it was just the model I was buying, but I have decided to stop buying logitech mice for a while.  My keyboard, headset, and gaming pad are all logitech as I am a big fan of the company.  My 2 cents.

I am using a Tecknet HYPERTRAK

https://www.amazon.com/TeckNet-HYPERTRAK-Precision-Programmable-Cartridge/dp/B00E64DTDQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=teknet&qid=1560252611&s=gateway&sr=8-1

$27 on amazon.  It has 5 thumb buttons, which are quite ergonomic.  I am very happy with the mouse overall.  The software is much like logitech's, but the gui makes it look very basic.

Not cheap, but I was more worried about function.

I have been using the Performance MX series from Logitech for the better part of a decade now. It's one of the few that contours to my hand and I can use it on ANY surface (wireless).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Ive been using the Razor DeathAdder for years now. It only has two button on the left side; I find a mass of buttons (4+) gets too messy to control.

I use the deathadder as well in its left-hand variant.  It's sized well enough that I don't feel my entire hand either curling around it or unable to easily access all the buttons and the wheel because it's so big.  Two side buttons is sufficient for my gaming needs as well.

You can pay a lot for a good gaming mouse from some of the leading manufacturers and most are well worth it, but there are a few lower priced ones that are surprisingly good. I got this: https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Venus-16400-Precision-Gaming/dp/B00FNKMVUO/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=gaming+mouse&qid=1560391442&s=gateway&sr=8-8

... and it has held up very well and is quite comfortable and configurable.

I use the 12 button Razor Naga with not that common of a misfire; usually my misfires are my fault b/c I alt so much. I'm 6'4' so it is a little small but doesn't bother me. Everyone is a little different. I could see the less button one being better but then you couldn't really place a whole row of powers on your side buttons although you could prob place the meaningful ones.

Oh this is one of my favorite topics to talk (type) about!  So I'm rather picky with the mouse I use - I have small hands and I MUST have a tiltable scroll wheel.

My favorite mouse EVAR is the Logitech G9 (and later G9x), but not wanting to pay about $200 or so from someone who may have one lying around, I now use the Logitech G502.  I've tried MMO mice and such but didn't like so many buttons in one area on the mouse.  It's a little over your $50 mark but I do like it very much.

All my buttons not Mouse4 and Mouse5 are bound to keys - including the MWHEEL tilt left and right.  I combine this with holding down the shift and ALT + those buttons to get quite a bit of ability binds on my mouse (18 in total).  Remembering all of this requires a little bit of a system.  Travel powers are usually on mouse 4 and 5 and key modifiers.  Attacks are usually the two buttons on the top plus key modifiers.  Status effects (and interrupts) are usually MWHEEL left and right plus key modifiers.

It may seem like a lot but I've been doing this system for so long it's habit now.

• 7 months later

After trying a few different mice, I have decided to go with the Razer Mamba Elite. I love this thing.

Edit: Also tried the Logitech G602 and Razer Deathadder Elite, both fine mouse. Deathadder has been on sale for 25-30 dollars for a while now. It is absolutely worth twice that, so go get it.

Edited by MunkiLord

It's probably the cheap-ass in me but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $50 on a mouse when I could get a free Dell mouse from the work stockpile box of mice and put $50 in my kid's 529 College Fund. 

Edit: Glad you found what you were looking for though!

Edited by tafilr
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 3:57 AM, Healix said:

I'll second this, I have the same mouse and it's a great option.  I also use a Razor Nostromo gamepad with 15 programmable keys under my fingers, a rocker pad under the thumb for movement and another two buttons for the thumb.  With all that I have Tray 1 mapped to the first 10 keys, the last 5 are spacebar for jump and 4 more for binds, usually any other powers I need easily at hand.  On the mouse I map the thumb buttons for a heal, aim, buildup and anything else I need to be able to access instantly.

With the gamepad and mouse I only need to go to clicking a power for toggles and other things I don't usually need in combat.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

1 hour ago, tafilr said:

It's probably the cheap-ass in me but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $50 on a mouse when I could get a free Dell mouse from the work stockpile box of mice and put $50 in my kid's 529 College Fund. 

I was the same way for the longest time but my god do those extra buttons make things nice, especially when combined with the powexeclocation command. Being able to press two buttons and rapid-fire, say, Sleet and Rain of Fire directly onto a group of enemies is awesome.

EDIT: Also, I have the Logitech G600. Less than $30 most places and has a bunch of extra buttons and some pretty awesome software.

Edited by macskull
  • Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Honestly, I was perfectly happy with a Microsoft Optical Mouse.
Unfortunately you just can't get them without waiting for weeks for a Chinese knockoff.

And I really dislike the "buttons everywhere" mice.

LOVED my ruberized Razer Sensei RAW.

But issues with the system (that ironically had nothing to do with the mouse) saw me replace it with a Rival 310.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

2 hours ago, tafilr said:

Totally understand that. The other two I mentioned, the G602 and DeathAdder Elite, are both less than thirty bucks. The only reason I moved on from the DeathAdder is because the Mamba is slightly smaller and has a few more lights on it. But being slightly smaller was the bigger selling point for me.

Also picked up my first mechanical keyboard on Black Friday, the Blackwidow Elite, and I love this thing so much. Bought the one with the loud clicky keys and I can't get enough. One of these days I'll get around to creating some macros with the Razer software and I think that could be extremely useful in games.

Plus all the lights!

I prefer the Razor Basilisk. It has the usual DPI adjustment buttons and you can also slow the DPI for finer sniping or whatnot on command with another button. The only other buttons are the two side buttons (too many end up being a pain for me) that I typically program to Shift and Ctrl which is insanely helpful for me as well. If you don't want anything too complicated but insanely eficiant, I suggest the Razor Basilisk.

F-8.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I'll second this, I have the same mouse and it's a great option.  I also use a Razor Nostromo gamepad with 15 programmable keys under my fingers, a rocker pad under the thumb for movement and another two buttons for the thumb.  With all that I have Tray 1 mapped to the first 10 keys, the last 5 are spacebar for jump and 4 more for binds, usually any other powers I need easily at hand.  On the mouse I map the thumb buttons for a heal, aim, buildup and anything else I need to be able to access instantly.

With the gamepad and mouse I only need to go to clicking a power for toggles and other things I don't usually need in combat.

This is what I've been looking for! I've seen the Tartarus(I think it's just a newer version) and I've been wondering if I could find a use for it, or at the least a way to rationalize buying it, and this may be it.