I want a new mouse, looking for suggestions.

MunkiLord

After my Logitech G series died an early death, I picked up a Steel Series Sensei 310.  Have had it for several years now and am really happy with it.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/sensei-310#sensei-310

image.thumb.png.3a120dac07b33bc6224c5ee5baa17bee.png

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

19 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

This is what I've been looking for! I've seen the Tartarus(I think it's just a newer version) and I've been wondering if I could find a use for it, or at the least a way to rationalize buying it, and this may be it.

I bought a Tartarus and while it has an extra row of keys (20 instead of 15) it just doesn't feel as good to me as the older Nostromo... likely because I've used it for 15 years now and the Tartarus is different.  Over the years I've had two Nostromos die on me (they were Belkin Nostromo's at the time) and I bought the Tartarus as a replacement for my last Nostromo.  Unfortunately I have short fingers and it doesn't fit me as well... fortunately my Nostromo still works fine.

The things are capable of extremely complex programming and can have 4 different setups with the touch of a key cycling through them.  I just stick with one setup to keep things simple, and because I can get most everything I want from one setup.  The top two rows I set as 1 - 0 corresponding to the bottom tray, the third row has spacebar and 4 keys I can bind to various other things.  The thumb rocker is bound to forward, back, strafe left, strafe right.  The button above the rocker is target nearest enemy and the button below is follow.

I'd suggest walking into Best Buy or somewhere similar and try the Tartarus, they'll likely have one sitting out, and see how your hand feels reaching for the keys.  It will take a bit for it to feel natural gaming but once it does you'll feel lost using just the keyboard.

Interestingly enough I didn't buy my first Nostromo for gaming.  My business is video production and I bought it for editing video... they're much more capable than the controllers designed for that purpose and much cheaper.  I think the cheapest editing macro controller costs around $800; a gamepad is more capable and costs less than $100.

• Like 2

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 6/10/2019 at 5:06 PM, MunkiLord said:

So over the weekend I bought a cheap $10 mouse for my Chromebook and when I saw it had a few extra buttons I decided to try it on my PC and use some binds, it's a huge improvement being able to fire off most of my powers using just a mouse and a few key combos. I bought the cheapest most portable mouse since this wasn't intended for my PC, and I would like something a little better. Those of you that have a nice mouse with some extra buttons, what do you use? I'm not currently looking to spend $100 on a mouse, but something in the $35-50 range would be nice.

Also, might as well share some of your favorite uses for extra mouse buttons while you're in here.

I have this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01798WKTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is older and the price has tripled.  The newer model is:

https://smile.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-Trinity-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0788MCRGC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I also have the Razer keyboard (bought in 2012 and still going strong).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H1R6JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Between these two items I have 24 programmable keys for CoH. My powers in tray 1 map to the keyboard, powers in tray 2 to the mouse, and powers in tray 3 to 1 through 10.  Quite helpful!

Edit:

I saw the comments from others about the Razers Nagas, but I have not had any issues.  I bought 2 keyboard and 2 mouses (mice?) in 2012 because I had one for home and one for work and both sets are still going strong.

Edited by Lockpick
Added a comment

4 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I looked at the Nostromo last night too, I'm assuming the absurd price is because it isn't being made anymore. Used it's 80 or more, which is pricey but not insane. The only seller on Amazon that has it new is selling it for $400.

Sounds like robbery to me, it used to be ~$60 new.  Try out the Tartarus or I believe Corsair also makes something similar.  Since you're starting fresh you don't have to relearn the layout of the pad.

I always put my travel power (or macro if I'm using Super Jump/Combat Jumping) into slot 6, it's under my little finger.  Space bar is set to button 11, also under the same finger.  Slots 1-5 are my most used attacks, 7-10 are usually AOE or other attacks.  Buffs are usually side buttons on the mouse (Dull Pain, Aim, Buildup and the like) and buttons 12-15 will be other powers I frequently need.  And of course the thumb rocker is my movement control along with mouse look.  It quickly becomes second nature to reach for the right key.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 1/14/2020 at 8:55 PM, Solarverse said:

I prefer the Razor Basilisk. It has the usual DPI adjustment buttons and you can also slow the DPI for finer sniping or whatnot on command with another button. The only other buttons are the two side buttons (too many end up being a pain for me) that I typically program to Shift and Ctrl which is insanely helpful for me as well. If you don't want anything too complicated but insanely eficiant, I suggest the Razor Basilisk.

I've been looking at and sampling Razer products since the Boomslang.

Won't spend money on their products.

ANY OF THEM.

EVER!

They make some nice stuff.  But their QC and their actual build quality BITE ASS.
I've seen far too many of their products die RIDICULOUSLY early deaths as a result of all their design problems and corner cutting.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

10 hours ago, Uun said:

After my Logitech G series died an early death, I picked up a Steel Series Sensei 310.  Have had it for several years now and am really happy with it.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/sensei-310#sensei-310

image.thumb.png.3a120dac07b33bc6224c5ee5baa17bee.png

Yep.  This is the mouse I have.

I just have all the gaudy lighting turned off.
Same with my Arctis5 headset.

7 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I've been looking at and sampling Razer products since the Boomslang.

Won't spend money on their products.

ANY OF THEM.

EVER!

They make some nice stuff.  But their QC and their actual build quality BITE ASS.
I've seen far too many of their products die RIDICULOUSLY early deaths as a result of all their design problems and corner cutting.

I did have one that died early, but just one. I always buy the same type as well. Has this bad QA and quality been recent? They used to make some damn good gaming mice.

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I did have one that died early, but just one. I always buy the same type as well. Has this bad QA and quality been recent? They used to make some damn good gaming mice.

No.  Their QC/build quality has been problematic since the company started.

4 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

No.  Their QC/build quality has been problematic since the company started.

Interesting, I haven't had any of their stuff die without good reason, but I've only had two mice, one of which I use now (but have only had for 3 months or so) and another I didn't like and ended up in a box of spare parts.  The Nostromo game pads I've had die were both Belkin before Razor bought them out... since then I've bought 3 game pads and all still work, one of which has seen enough use that all the numbers are worn off of the keys.

Spoiler

Logitech G502 Proteus Core Gaming Mouse Review at Tomsguide https://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g502-proteus-core,review-2138.html  wired with 11 programmable buttons $40-50

I have tried to find a decent 'silent' mouse. Most are wireless though and not idea. I like the Logitech M330 Silent Plus but would like it better if it was wired.

Since some mentioned keypads.. if you can find one. The over sized movement keys are pretty awesome.

Image Description

Edited by Troo
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Despite some initial issues with the software, I am quite happy with Roccat LEADR. It is certainly not cheap, but I think it is worth the asking price. It's large, has plenty of buttons that are spread around the mouse (unlike the mini-numpad on some MMO nice that is just begging for misfires) and is very customizable (as far as button configs go).

Before I used WoW Cataclysm mouse and enjoyed it, and leadr is a worthy successor. If you want a mouse with 15 buttons that are spread around rather than grouped together, this is what you want. I don't think there are others with this layout and this many buttons.

Razor Nostromo, AKA Belkin Nostromo.  The layout hasn't changed, but apparently it's hard to come by nowadays.

Razer Nostromo PC Gaming Keypad images

Razor Tartarus 2, nearly the same thing but with an extra row of keys.  Still available new from Amazon for $75.

1591_tartaruspro.png

In a quick search I found lots of other choices but most lack the directional thumb switch.  Probably not a big deal if you're starting from scratch and used to using a keyboard but I'm used to using that thumb rocker for movement forward/back/left/right along with mouse look to rotate direction.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Razor Nostromo, AKA Belkin Nostromo.  The layout hasn't changed, but apparently it's hard to come by nowadays.

Razer Nostromo PC Gaming Keypad images

Razor Tartarus 2, nearly the same thing but with an extra row of keys.  Still available new from Amazon for $75.

1591_tartaruspro.png

In a quick search I found lots of other choices but most lack the directional thumb switch.  Probably not a big deal if you're starting from scratch and used to using a keyboard but I'm used to using that thumb rocker for movement forward/back/left/right along with mouse look to rotate direction.

There's also the Razer Orbweaver.  Almost same thing as the Tartarus, but with mechanical keys.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013P0HW7K

715xMrB1x7L._SL1500_[1].jpg

On 1/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, Hyperstrike said:

There's also the Razer Orbweaver.  Almost same thing as the Tartarus, but with mechanical keys.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013P0HW7K

715xMrB1x7L._SL1500_[1].jpg

That looks even more awesome, I just got a mechanical keyboard and LOVE it. I don't ever want to go back. Plus all the Razer stuff can sync with my Philips Hue lights, which is a nice bonus.

edit: Turns out the Orbweaver isn't compatible with Synapse 3, so the RGB benefit won't help. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but at this point it does matter to me. Perhaps I'll just wait for a bit and see if Razer announces a V2 of this.

Edited by MunkiLord

14 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

That looks even more awesome, I just got a mechanical keyboard and LOVE it. I don't ever want to go back. Plus all the Razer stuff can sync with my Philips Hue lights, which is a nice bonus.

edit: Turns out the Orbweaver isn't compatible with Synapse 3, so the RGB benefit won't help. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but at this point it does matter to me. Perhaps I'll just wait for a bit and see if Razer announces a V2 of this.

The Orbweaver is a bit of a stretch if you don't have long fingers so be aware of that.  For me with the palm rest as short as it goes I can't comfortably reach the top row of buttons... but I do have shorter than average fingers.

Spoiler

On 1/21/2020 at 5:05 PM, MunkiLord said:

I do too, so not sure how well that will work for me. I only used a few of the extra buttons on my Logitech mouse for that very reason. 

It's also what I used to rationalize buying a Mamba Elite mouse a month after buying a Deathadder Elite. The Mamba is just a bit smaller. 

I never liked the 12 button on the side mice, I couldn't keep track of what was what.  I've tried a couple and I have a Razor with interchangeable side panels, one is a standard two thumb buttons, one has 9 arranged in a radial pattern and one has 12 set up in rows.  The 9 thumb buttons was ok with some getting used to but the 12 button was a waste of time, I could never tell without looking what button I was pushing on it.

The Logitech has 4 very distinct thumb buttons that are easy to discern by feel and the buttons on top are simple enough.

• Like 1

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later
  • Game Master
On 1/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, Number Six said:

767504968_71akyGAI2oL._SL1500_1.thumb.jpg.25d64b94eeabdff82948033e0da3d8bd.jpg

😏

I used to like Logitech thumb trackballs, but after getting 4 of the M502's and have the mouse buttons die on me each time, I switched it up.

Very happy with my Elecom EX-G Thumb Trackball. 😁👍

41+e5HHne+L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

On 1/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, Number Six said:

767504968_71akyGAI2oL._SL1500_1.thumb.jpg.25d64b94eeabdff82948033e0da3d8bd.jpg

😏

I used the Trackman Marbles for the longest time, but just couldn't manage open world, 360° gaming with it. Anything else it relieved a great about of stress on the wrist and elbow.

My issue with many of the gaming mice out now-a-days is they've become taller and narrower so I constantly feel like I'm having to pinch them between my thumb and pinky, they just end up cramping my hand. The Marbles were much more comfortable.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.