Power Pools for Stalkers

Nezix

I'm playing a Psi Melee / Super Reflexes Stalker.

Assuming I should take all Primary and Secondary powers (let me know if any of these are not worth it later) it looks like I have about 5 slots open. If I take 3 powers from the Epic/Ancillary Pool then that's 2 remaining. At this point I'm questioning even taking a travel power.

I know very little about IO Sets, so I'm wondering if there is a pool/power that would be worth taking just for that.

I'm also considering friend / Foe Teleport as it might be nice to help a group sneak past a mission.

Thanks for your help!

I'm playing a Psi Melee / Super Reflexes Stalker.

Assuming I should take all Primary and Secondary powers (let me know if any of these are not worth it later) it looks like I have about 5 slots open. If I take 3 powers from the Epic/Ancillary Pool then that's 2 remaining. At this point I'm questioning even taking a travel power.

I know very little about IO Sets, so I'm wondering if there is a pool/power that would be worth taking just for that.

I'm also considering friend / Foe Teleport as it might be nice to help a group sneak past a mission.

Thanks for your help!

If you plan to PvP, get Stealth and Invis. If not, yuo could also get the self heal in the Medicine pool. Being that you are a defense based stalker, the self heal will be amazing.

If you do a lot of task forces it's really nice to have recall friend so you can zip to the end of the mission and recall your team. (Sometimes just 1 person with Recall Team...!)

You're right that you need to pick 2 pool powers if you take everything in both primary and secondary you end up with 2 empty levels. You probably need the entire secondary.

In the primary you could skip mental thrust. It's ... not great. I'm playing a Psi/WP stalker and I'm seriously thinking of replacing Mental thrust with Air Superiority because I need some -fly action.( I took the martial ancillary pool and web grenade is not to my liking and I may respec into another pool later depending on how the shuriken powers are.)  Some people skip Boggle, I personally like confusing mobs. It's great for taking some heat off me while soloing and confusing say a Rikti Guardian so I get bubbles or accelerate metabolism from them.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

In the primary you could skip mental thrust. It's ... not great. I'm playing a Psi/WP stalker and I'm seriously thinking of replacing Mental thrust with Air Superiority because I need some -fly action.( I took the martial ancillary pool and web grenade is not to my liking and I may respec into another pool later depending on how the shuriken powers are.)  Some people skip Boggle, I personally like confusing mobs. It's great for taking some heat off me while soloing and confusing say a Rikti Guardian so I get bubbles or accelerate metabolism from them.

Yeah I sort of figured I would see where I land with recharge speed and if it's just not necessary then I could drop it.

In psy, mental strike is definitely skippable. Placate and Boggle are situationally useful, with Boggle having the benefit of taking confuse IO sets for the set bonuses. If you are not planning on using invention sets, then either (or both) powers will give you more control options. For SR, you likely don’t need to take Elude as you can be close to soft capped to positions (melee, ranged and AOE) in regular (non-incarnate) content. I don’t have Pine/Mids at work, but my memory is that with all of SR’s powers slotted for defense, combat jumping, and weave, you’ll be very close. If you only get one special IO - Steadfast Protection’s +3 defense - you’ll be closer still. Also, picking up tough on the way to weave (from the fighting pool) will provide a little more smashing/lethal resistance to pair with your scaling resists from Agile.

It’s really worth learning to build with sets, as well as a fun meta-game, to maximize your character’s performance. Start by downloading Pine’s!

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Be careful about saying you would skip placate, some think that people who don't take placate "don't know how to play the class."

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

You could take Placate, then respec out of it once you've got the ATO proc, as it was shown to be about a 20-30% increase in dps vs. not having it or the ATO.

I'd put Mental Strike in the same category - very nice to have in the early levels, especially if you're maled down to 2-5 for DFB, or 1 for AE boss farms, it's good for throwing in to get focus/insight until your attack chain is tight enough with +rech from sets to skip it, at which point you can respec out of it.

I can't see skipping Boggle, having a very good single target confuse is amazing, and the only reason I see to take Psi over any other set other than aesthetics.  Without considering Boggle, Psi would be a mediocre to bad set since it has serious problems with resistant enemies late game.