Really liking Pain Domination

Diantane

Over the last couple years I've really wanted a defender that I enjoyed playing for more than just a few days. I've looked and tried different builds. A few went to 50, but lost interest for different reasons. It's like, I liked it a little, but not a lot (you must have felt this way before too). I've looked at Pain several times before and saw that it had the same basic powers as an EMP and then looked the other way. I finally decided to try it on a Thugs MM. Hated it so much! The pets died seconds after putting them out there. I decided to abandon that character and to specialize pain on a defender.

What a difference! I mated pain with radiation blasts, but didn't train any attacks until Proton Valley (followed by Cosmic Burst and Atomic Blast). When I make a defender I like to specialize in being that AT. Currently 37 and running teams everyday doing arcs (love the storylines and hate grinding. Plus the merits are nice too). When I play I usually stand near the melee characters (right in the middle of the creatures). When I first enter I cast a fully slotted (acc, 2x def debuff, 2x recharge (SO's) Anguishing Cry and then a slotted (acc, 3 x damage) Atomic Blast. Love seeing several creatures drop to their knees and falling on their faces. So I do attack creatures sometimes, but the health of the team always has priority.

Now that WoP is slotted (2x resist dam, 2x tohit debuff, 2x rech - also have hasten (3x rech), I cast it as soon as it's up. Sometimes I group up the players, but not when they are fighting. I just cast if on the melee players since they are taking the most damage. Because I am doing this, I don't have to heal so much and help with the attacks while keeping an eye on the team health.

This defender will definitely be going beyond 50. I really, really like playing him and spend several hours a day doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pain Domination does totally rule it took me a long time to find my way to it. The AoE healing aura it has grants so much staying power to any character you play it with. I've only got it on a controller but it's one of my most fun to play. Makes my gremlins very strong. Everyone loves the buffs.

That "soothing aura" power is pretty cool. It was at 42 per tick when I first got it and now at 39 it puts out 87. I also have the nullify pain on auto and it's sending out 229 per aoe heal ever 5 seconds (remember it was only 13 at level 1 and 9 as a secondary on a mm at level 1). These combination of heals keeps the team healthy most of the time. I only have to send out an individual heal when the creatures get a crit on someone. So I am sending out attacks between these.

EMP's don't get that aura so Pain Domination makes for a stronger healer.

Edited by Diantane
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Diantane said:

That "soothing aura" power is pretty cool. It was at 42 per tick when I first got it and now at 39 it puts out 87. I also have the nullify pain on auto and it's sending out 229 per aoe heal ever 5 seconds (remember it was only 13 at level 1 and 9 as a secondary on a mm at level 1). These combination of heals keeps the team healthy most of the time. I only have to send out an individual heal when the creatures get a crit on someone. So I am sending out attacks between these.

Get enough Pain Defenders together, target one allied player, and they might be able to defeat that ally with their buffs 😆 

• Haha 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 12/24/2022 at 7:43 AM, Diantane said:

Yup, it is.

My favorite thing about it is that it has a chance to proc Panacea's Heal and End on every teammate it effects*, so I six-slotted it with Panacea on my Pain Def.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
*Not an increased chance to proc on you; Panacea will actually heal and recover endurance on your teammates as well.
  • Like 2

I have a 50 earth/pain controller, and can vouch for the effectiveness of pain domination.  I really like that you get an AoE +tohit, +dmg, +res in world of main, and it benefits you as well.  I'm not a fan of hasten, so rely on 3x recharge + 5x LotG to make it permanent, (or very close to it).  Anguishing cry is also a great -def -res power, and the PBAoE heal and ranged heal-other are great fall-back powers.  I've even stacked several enforced morales on a granite tanker once to increase their mobility a little, lol!

Edited by biostem