Blaster vs Corruptor

Snarky

For “easy” content a Blaster is smoother, for me.  I do pretty good with them in +2…+4….  But I could see where Corruptor will probably start to outshine do to length of combat and value of buffs/debuffs leverage.  Is there a general point where the Corruptor starts to outshine the Blaster? Or is it personal preference?

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m currently playing a corruptor,  at 31. I only have one corruptor at 50 and I don’t really like it. I have 3-4 blasters at 50. They are totally different things. Avs/GMs corrs with debuffs are cool. Clearing mobs fast especially on new ITF we’re a blaster can really nuke a hostless in a hurry is better. 

2 hours ago, Thrax said:

I only have one corruptor at 50 and I don’t really like it. I have 3-4 blasters at 50. They are totally different things.

Big shock that two different archetypes would be "totally different things".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I have 4 lvl 50 blasters and 4 lvl 50 corruptors. I play both, depending on my mood and what the team needs. Corruptors are generally safer due to their buffs/debuffs.  Blasters generally have faster kill speed, although a /Kinetics corruptor can really shred. All corruptor teams will decimate almost anything.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

"Buffs/Debuffs" are king in this game. With that said i find corruptors to be more "complete" archetypes and provide that extra edge in teams to defeat any hard content. In classic CoH if you didnt have any buffs/debuffs in your team you were doomed to fail disregarding how much dps you bring. 

I enjoy more playing my corruptors than my blasters. Some corruptor power sets are just too OP with IO`s bonusses + Incarnate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uun said:

I have 4 lvl 50 blasters and 4 lvl 50 corruptors. I play both, depending on my mood and what the team needs. Corruptors are generally safer due to their buffs/debuffs.  Blasters generally have faster kill speed, although a /Kinetics corruptor can really shred. All corruptor teams will decimate almost anything.

I do love me some Corruptors. For me, the question is more so between Corruptors and Defenders. I think a team of 8 Corruptors will beat a team of 8 Defenders.

In a more well rounded team doing HM content, a Defender might surpass a Corruptor. This can also largely depend on powerset though. Cold Domination or  Kin? I’d probably pick a Corruptor every time. For the others, I might lean Defender for their higher values.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, serxiom said:

"Buffs/Debuffs" are king in this game.

As an Ice/Cold Corruptor main since Homecoming launched, I'll argue that what your said above is not an incontrovertible truth. Buffs and debuffs assist greatly in improving the amount of damage dealt and minimizing damage received. In this game, in any given engagement, whether NPC or Player, the goal is to bring the target's health to 0 before they can bring yours to 0. So to me, damage is the true king. 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

5 hours ago, Thrax said:

Perfect way to add absolutely nothing to the post you troll. 

It isn't any more trolling and adding absolutely nothing to the "post" than saying ::

On 12/27/2022 at 12:15 AM, Thrax said:

They are totally different things.

That's obvious. It adds absolutely nothing to the "post".

Your main comment is that you dislike Corruptors and simply because they don't do level of damage that blasters do.

That too is obvious.

EDIT: Oh, and I did add something to the thread with that post ... humor that other people appreciated.

So I'll say something about the comparing Blasters to Corruptors if that is necessary to respond to your defensive knee-jerk reaction to me pointing out the obvious nature of your statement.

Corruptors are more like defenders than they are like blasters.

Obviously, Corruptors have no melee powers to speak of. Instead they have heals which reduces the number of damage dealing powers they have access to.

A better comparison would be Blasters vs Dominators from a damage standpoint, and that is really the main point of Blasters.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 12/27/2022 at 3:41 AM, Snarky said:

But I could see where Corruptor will probably start to outshine do to length of combat and value of buffs/debuffs leverage.

Are you solo? That's a big part of it, in my opinion.

Solo, I'd often rate a defender above a corruptor due to their stronger buffs and debuffs and their Inherent power giving them a bit of a damage boost solo. There's much less in it damage-wise than people acknowledge and a strong debuff set like Poison or Rad on a defender pushes them ahead. Some sets, like Storm, just are better DPS on a defender (solo) due to interactions with inherent powers and numbers that are balanced atypically. That said, there isn't a huge amount in it.

There's also the fact that defenders and corruptors can be force multipliers - many buffs affect the whole team, and debuffs benefit the whole team. If you're on a team of 8 and maintaining a resistance or regen debuff, you're probably outpacing the extra damage you would be doing if you were a blaster in that scenario in terms of extra damage taken or damage not healed. 

Personally, I've never got on with blasters. They do a bit more damage, but never quite enough to justify the lack of additional tricks up your sleeve (apart from a couple of mezzes here and there and some very gentle debuffs).

Corruptors and defenders have a more rounded toolkit and several powersets can close the damage gap and sentinels aren't that behind blasters in terms of damage considering how much easier they are to keep upright.

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I have tried to play Blasters over the years and never liked them.  They are boring to me usually.  Do a rotation and move on.  If the rotation isn't enough DPS you lose.  Corruptors and Defenders, to me, are a more fun playstyle.  If your def isn't good enough... you have tricks.  If your DPS isn't good enough... you have tricks.  If it is, rotate and move on.

Blasters do more damage, no doubt about it.  But that's mostly all they do.  Yes, they are now survivable... but meh... just doesn't cut it for me.  I like interesting applications of powers and the ability to shift the battle for a team.  It seems to me to be easier to do this with a support set.

With that all said, it sometimes is discouraging to be on a team where there are some really good blasters because you are just not needed 🙂

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

one of my survival tactics when surround by multiple mobs is that I have Sudden Acceleration KB>KD slotted in Caltrops.

Are you thinking of the Ragnarok chance for knockdown? Caltrops doesn't accept knockback sets.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 12/28/2022 at 5:45 PM, Gulbasaur said:

Solo, I'd often rate a defender above a corruptor due to their stronger buffs and debuffs and their Inherent power giving them a bit of a damage boost solo.

Identically slotted, corrs and solo fenders are intended to do equal damage.

Fender ranged damage scale: 0.65

Corr ranged damage scale: 0.75

Vigilance solo is +30% damage.

Fender enhanced damage: 100% base + 95% enhancements + 30% vigilance = 225%

Corr enhanced damage: 100% base + 95% enhancements = 195%

Fender final damage: 0.65 * 2.25 = 1.4625

Corr final damage: 0.75 * 1.95 = 1.4625

Odd coincidence. Almost as though someone designed it to be that way. (The fender has stronger buff/debuffs, but the corr has scourge.)

In practice, for those sets where I have the same combination of powersets on corr and def, the corr has always outdamaged the def solo. I chalk this up to 1. certain corr sets still being bugged and using the fender scale pseudopet for debuffs, 2. killspeed being bottlenecked by the highest-HP target, and scourge shines against high HP targets.

The real difference between corrs and fenders is that fender dps is more proc-dependent. For optimal fender builds, agility alpha is often a dps loss. They need to use their superior base stats to meet rech build goals without relying on 5x and 6x set bonuses and agility.

Edited by Zect
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 11:41 AM, Snarky said:

Is there a general point where the Corruptor starts to outshine the Blaster? Or is it personal preference?

I've speedrun 4* HM ITF on a team of 8 corruptors. Try that with blasters.

Don't get me wrong: blasters are still an extremely good AT. They have come a long, long way from the days when fire/MM/mace was the only viable endgame blaster. Arguably, they are probably overpowered now due to how nicely they mesh with the oppressive high-dps meta. They have an unbelievable amount of build flexibility compared to every other AT, and while they generally only do 1 thing well, it just happens to be the most valuable thing in the current meta, i.e. damage.

It's just that in CoX the most powerful thing anyone can have is a support powerset.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zect said:

In practice, for those sets where I have the same combination of powersets on corr and def, the corr has always outdamaged the def solo. I chalk this up to 1. certain corr sets still being bugged and using the fender scale pseudopet for debuffs, 2. killspeed being bottlenecked by the highest-HP target, and scourge shines against high HP targets.

Yep, Cold Domination being the biggest offender.  I've seen a couple of people ask for Cold Domination's values on Defenders to be increased since they're the same across ATs due to pseudo pets, which is just LOL.  Cold Domination is overpowered on Controllers and Corruptors, and quite overpowered on Masterminds.

4 hours ago, Zect said:

The real difference between corrs and fenders is that fender dps is more proc-dependent.

I don't disagree, but the (usually) stronger buffs and debuffs on a defender can make them more resilient and -res debuffs can tilt the amount of damage in a defender's favour. 

The pseudo-pet thing and the fact that the numbers are a bit inconsistent make it more complex. It's certainly true that there isn't that much in it, though. Good breakdown! 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

9 hours ago, Astralock said:

Yep, Cold Domination being the biggest offender.  I've seen a couple of people ask for Cold Domination's values on Defenders to be increased since they're the same across ATs due to pseudo pets, which is just LOL.  Cold Domination is overpowered on Controllers and Corruptors, and quite overpowered on Masterminds.

Only true with respect to Sleet, which summons the same pseudo-pet across all ATs. Every other power in Cold is more powerful on a defender. Both Sleet and Freezing Rain need to get the fix Dark Miasma got a year or two ago.

1 minute ago, Uun said:

Only true with respect to Sleet, which summons the same pseudo-pet across all ATs. Every other power in Cold is more powerful on a defender. Both Sleet and Freezing Rain need to get the fix Dark Miasma got a year or two ago.

Not just Sleet, parts of Heat Loss as well IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Psiphon said:

IMO Go for a fire/time/dark corruptor. It’s the Swiss Army knife of COH, can do everything.

Fire/Time/Soul so you Power Boost Farsight. Definitely one of my favorites.

• Thumbs Up 1