What makes a good tanker secondary?

Nihil

So generally play ranged DPS but looking to switch it up and try a meat shield on for size. Trying to decide on power sets and while I see lots of discussions on the defensive sets never see much about the pros and cons of the melee sets when relating to tanking. So I ask you what do you look for in a good tank secondary set? Fast attacks, AoEs, utility powers, and/or useful rider effects (-def, -res, knockdown, etc.)

Almost all the tanker secondaries have some kind of defensive aspect (like the amazing +def in MA, the self-heal in DM, the toolbox of powers in Staff).  Generally, tankers choose a secondary whose benefits complements their primary (which is why you'll see for example, a lot more SD/BS, thanks to the positional parry, than Inv/BS, which wants paired typed defenses; but DM on either because both benefit significantly from a quick heal).

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Another consideration is how demanding or undemanding they are.  Take Dual Blades, for example.  The combo system means that you'll want all the attacks.  You're a tanker; you'll want Taunt.  This favors primaries that contain a lot of postponable or skippable powers, like Fire, Dark Armor, and (dare I say it) Invuln.  My main fire tanker was Fire/DB.  There's actually a lot of mitigation if you get all the combos and make them land, so make accuracy a high priority.  On Invuln I tend to put off the passives, give them no slots, and use them as receptacles for the several uniques in the resistance sets that give universal defense or +HP.  I take Energies well before Physical Damage, and tend to take Elements last.  And I never bother with Unstoppable. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Hmm good thoughts I was thinking about going rad/spines but I know spines has crap for ST so was thinking of buying up the fighting tree hoping the damage boost that gives to boxing and kick will make them worthy of rounding out my ST attack chain for holding the attention of bosses and AVs.

You will want Fighting eventually for Tough or Weave, which benefit every tanker type. But bother with Air Superiority before either Boxing or Kick.  You'll find it much more useful.  You'll even want to give it slots if you can spare them.  A good place to add another Kinetic Combat. 

And, it just feels good.  Adds a lot of mitigation, and has one of the most satisfying sets of animations in the game. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291