A New Use Case for Supergroup Prestige

Andreah

5 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Prestige? That can go die in a fire

The new definition of prestige would, IMO, actually be useful, since it's a calculated measure of recent SG multicharacter activity, not some earned, farmed, or purchased score.

I gotta agree with @Greycat on this, @Andreah. Even with how you have prestige set up in the OP, only the larger SGs will be showing up on the list. So smaller SGs that are as fun (or maybe even more fun?) would get buried for lack of ability to compete in gaining prestige.

Tags for not recruiting for private and solo SGs would keep them off the list.

Tags for RP would focus the list on RP SGs for RP'ers.

Tags for PvP would focus the list on PvP for PvP'ers.

So on and so forth. This would all be much more relevant and useful data than a prestige number that can be pumped up much more easily by a larger group than a smaller group.

And as has already been posted in this thread, with a last log on tag in the list, abandoned SGs can be filtered out. There can even be a tag for SG group run frequency for those groups that only get together once or twice a week. With a comment attached showing their schedule.

24 minutes ago, Michiyo said:

I'm only going to reply to the section I was tagged in.  This: https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Category:Group Also exists, though the entire site is under utilized as I think folks think it's only for RP players.  Anyone can make an account, make a group, and add the category to get it listed on the site.

Not sure about adding the direct links to the base passcode lists on the SG page, but I'll think about it.

I think it would be really neat if the in-game supergroup listings could have a single, clickable HC-forums or FBSA websitelink. They would have to be carefully limited to ONLY legit pages in those two domains ofc.

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I gotta agree with @Greycat on this, @Andreah. Even with how you have prestige set up in the OP, only the larger SGs will be showing up on the list. So smaller SGs that are as fun (or maybe even more fun?) would get buried for lack of ability to compete in gaining prestige.

Tags for not recruiting for private and solo SGs would keep them off the list.

Tags for RP would focus the list on RP SGs for RP'ers.

Tags for PvP would focus the list on PvP for PvP'ers.

So on and so forth. This would all be much more relevant and useful data than a prestige number that can be pumped up much more easily by a larger group than a smaller group.

And as has already been posted in this thread, with a last log on tag in the list, abandoned SGs can be filtered out. There can even be a tag for SG group run frequency for those groups that only get together once or twice a week. With a comment attached showing their schedule.

We would still need a way to filter out groups that are dead -- lots of tags, lots of members, none of them play anymore.

Just now, Andreah said:

We would still need a way to filter out groups that are dead -- lots of tags, lots of members, none of them play anymore.

... very last paragraph in what you quoted, "with a last log on tag in the list..."

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

For a lot of those groups however, there's one player left who logs in every few days to see if anyone else has logged in recently. The group is still dead, there's just a gravekeeper dusting off the gravestones. Why don't we count how many different accounts have logged into that Supergroup in the last thirty days, and put that number in the Prestige field?

Instead, why not add a tag to show how many accounts have logged on in the past 30 days? So for example:

SG <Name>. PvP (active tag) Last Logon: Today. Accounts logged on past month: 2.

No need for the recruiting tag to be visible since it would just be a flag that makes the SG visible or invisible on the list. The UI can (and probably should) be way more expansive than that, but it does give more useful data than just a prestige number.

3 hours ago, Michiyo said:

I'm only going to reply to the section I was tagged in.  This: https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Category:Group Also exists, though the entire site is under utilized as I think folks think it's only for RP players.  Anyone can make an account, make a group, and add the category to get it listed on the site.

Not sure about adding the direct links to the base passcode lists on the SG page, but I'll think about it.

So would it be okay to put a link to the "Group" page on the main Supergroup page?

Yeah, this is confusing. It isn't listed by shard and there are:

https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Category:Supergroup

w/subcatagories and Pages in category "Supergroup"

-and-

https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Category:Group

w/subcatagories and Pages in category "Group"

<--- all of these have alphabetical listings of supergroups and they don't overlap. That is to say if  supergroup is listed on one of these four it isn't listed on the three others as far as I can tell.

The ones listed have different levels of information. Some as far down to information on individual characters.

The passcodes for bases are being listed by people on the Base by Server lists.

Edited by UltraAlt
Researched the "https://fbsa.homecoming.wiki/wiki/Category:Group" page

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Community Rep

What if we asked for a sg listing in game like the team search feature? Leaders would write descriptions like players do for search messages. Maybe they could give the group different colors as in, RP, Villain, Hero, PVE, PVP, mixed,  and then flag it if looking for members, not looking for members, and if someone is active in that sg right then, the color is bright, if no one is active, the color is greyer. Now, I have NO idea how pragmatic or possible any of that is, but it'd be nice. Also should list the global of the leader, or they can voluntarily list that in the search comment. Perhaps they could make it so that the most active or most recently active are towards the top of the search. That would be using an interface the players already understand and use. People who didn't want to be included could hide their sg. Maybe they could even tie in the mechanism that deactivates a leader who hasn't logged in in x number of days, and if that flag has been triggered, the sg doesn't appear in the search (because it's assumed inactive).

-Dacy

31 minutes ago, Dacy said:

What if we asked for a sg listing in game like the team search feature? Leaders would write descriptions like players do for search messages. Maybe they could give the group different colors as in, RP, Villain, Hero, PVE, PVP, mixed,  and then flag it if looking for members, not looking for members, and if someone is active in that sg right then, the color is bright, if no one is active, the color is greyer. Now, I have NO idea how pragmatic or possible any of that is, but it'd be nice. Also should list the global of the leader, or they can voluntarily list that in the search comment. Perhaps they could make it so that the most active or most recently active are towards the top of the search. That would be using an interface the players already understand and use. People who didn't want to be included could hide their sg. Maybe they could even tie in the mechanism that deactivates a leader who hasn't logged in in x number of days, and if that flag has been triggered, the sg doesn't appear in the search (because it's assumed inactive).

What if...

Supergroups are only listed on the supergroup search if the supergroup was flagged for recruiting (it wouldn't block recruiting as per normal) and had a member online that had the ability to recruit (as this can be turned off by a supergroup leader)?

If a supergroup leader goes inactive the game, by default, gives the leadership position to the next character that logs in that is part of that supergroup.

... unless they changed it. 

I ended up getting more than one supergroup passed to me that way before the Sunset.

I really don't think it makes much sense to recruit players to a supergroup if you don't plan on gaming with them.

However, unlike /altinvite, I don't think the /sginvite will work if your target is not on-line, but I can't remember.

If you can /sginvite someone that isn't online, then it would be helpful to list the sgleader's @globalname (only in the suggested Team-search-like Supergroup window) so that they can be contacted offline by someone that would like an invite to the supergroup. 

Of course, if this became too much of a hassle, they could toggle the "not recruiting" flag so that their supergroup wouldn't be listed.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Community Rep

Sounds good to me. Passes the dev concern I know I'd hear about privacy, while allowing information to be more accessible. I'll put in a request, but again, no idea if this is feasible or not, so no promises.

-Dacy

• Community Rep

However, a thought: some SGs may not be recruiting, but people want to find who is the leader or where is the base, so, SGs can list on the SG find list even if not recruiting, and base code info can also be included. This way, if someone is curious about a SG or wants to know where the party is, there's a handy in-game reference for the code.

-Dacy