Villain Archetype Names ...

Herotu

1 hour ago, Grouchybeast said:

Surely a Stalker is just someone who enjoys picking flowers?

"Happy Place" by Cranius

As I prowl around, killing the Alliance

I don't believe that I was really called into such violence

It's truly dirty business, requiring skill and grace

Truth be told, I'd rather be in my Happy Place

Chorus:

In my happy place

In my happy place

My lips may both have fallen off

But a smile is on my face

You may not think an undead rogue

Could live with such disgrace

But when I'm picking flowers

I'm in my happy place

It's a place that's filled with harmony, where I could stay for hours

I find myself at peace when I'm gathering up flowers

While other rogues are busy slitting throats and stabbing backs

I prefer to spend my time filling up my packs

Chorus

If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's being interrupted

When that occurs, my mental state becomes a bit corrupted

So if you find yourself inclined to meddle with my flowers

Well I might find myself compelled to camp your corpse for hours

Chorus:

In my happy place

In my happy place

You just made a big mistake

Messing with my space

So let me introduce you

To my dagger and my mace

Cuz when you're picking flowers

You're in my happy place

• Like 2

Corruption can have positive connotations when used in an ironic way, especially when you look at the kinds of people in society who go on about morality, purity, righteousness and so on. I would eagerly step up to be a corrupter of society's sexual mores; but a blaster or scrapper who is blasting hospitals or scrapping schools in a poorly justified invasion of my neighboring country, not so much.

Ultimately, none of these names have ever been very accurate - or the corrupter would've been called the Best. Accept no substitutes. Nor are they very true to comic-book terminology - or the tanker would've been called the Brick (both in terms of powers and average intelligence).

Corruptor is the only one that could use a tweak, but to be honest I'm not sure what I'd want to replace it with.

Primay: Ranged Damage.

Secondary: Support.

It's basically an opposite-day Defender, so... Aggressor?  Instigator?  Those are more value-neutral than Corruptor, at least.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:49 PM, Snarky said:

And so he says to me, you want to be a bad guy? and I say Yeah Baby! I want to be bad! I says Churchill space ponies I'm making gravy without the lumps! Ah ha ha ha ha haaaaa!!!!!

And he says to me, he says to me, you got Style, baby! but if you're gonna to be a real villain you gotta get a gimmick…and so I go I says Yeah Baby! A gimmick, that's it! High Explosives! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Yeah! Keep playing with fire, superpants, you don't know how much fire you're playing with! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

So he says to me, you gotta do something smart, baby, something big! He says you want to be a supervillain, right, and I go yeah baby, yeah yeah! What do I gotta do? He says you got bombs, blow up the Comet Club, it's packed with superheroes…you'll go down in supervillain history and I go Yeah baby 'cause I'm the Evil Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight!!! Ah ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

And so he says to me, you got legs, baby, you're everywhere…you're all over the place! Yeah!

I don't like the cut of your jib.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:39 PM, Herotu said:

Should some of these villain ATs have different names? It's just an itch I have ...

I like cookies. Well, most cookies. I do not care for those that have dead grapes in them. But I digress. 

If I like a chocolate chip cookie, and then the universe, in it's prolific wisdom begins to pay certain people to put out the message that the chocolate chip cookie name is offensive to all other cookies and should be called a chocolate pieces cookies instead, it's still going to taste the same, whatever it's called. 

- OR - 
You heroes that play corruptors and other traditionally villain ATs, you think you're being heroic. But you're not looking at the big picture. You're evil, you're just too ignorant to realize it. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Ukase said:
You heroes that play corruptors and other traditionally villain ATs, you think you're being heroic. But you're not looking at the big picture. You're evil, you're just too ignorant to realize it. 

More cowbell!   I need more cowbell!!!

Stalking of prey, stalking a target. Ninja. Ranger. Spy.

We can twist these labels to mean just about anything.

Corruptors could twist evil to good, couldn't they? OR there is no black and white merely shades between concentrated near the middle,

On 1/6/2023 at 2:39 PM, Herotu said:

Corrupter

Corrupters twist the forces of the universe to do their bidding. As a corruptor, you might strike your foes down with blasts of fire, entomb them in ice, infect them with radiation, or curse them with pure darkness. As your foes are weakened, your scourge ability kicks in, increasing your damage to an enemy as their hit points drop. You can even impart a portion of your twisted power to your allies to protect them from harm, heal them, or increase the damage they deal. This wide array of abilities comes at a price. Your defenses aren't strong, and you can quickly attract the ire of your enemies if you aren't careful.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:39 PM, Herotu said:

Stalker

Skill can divert clumsy raw power, and precisely applied force can solve many problems. As a Stalker, this is the core of your specialty. You do your best work when attacking from ambush, and can even hide in plain sight to escape foes. Deadly attacks and good defenses make you a dangerous combatant and assassin, but you can be overwhelmed if you're not careful.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

21 hours ago, TalynDerre said:

Primay: Ranged Damage.

Secondary: Support.

It's basically an opposite-day Defender, so... Aggressor?  Instigator?  Those are more value-neutral than Corruptor, at least.

Scourge?

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

No touchy/ruiny of redside.

Keep your blueside to yourselves :P.

But honestly, redside ATs are the ONLY cool sounding ATs in CoH. Please don't make them generic and bland on the nose crap like most of blueside

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

'Tis but a name that is thine enemy.

Though art thyself, though not a character.

What's a character?  It is not hand nor foot

nor arm nor face.  Oh, be some other name

belonging to an archetype!

What's in a name?  That which we call a villain

by any other word would smell as stinky.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Slight correction: stalking is originally a hunting term, it means stealthily following the prey until a good time to attack. It's a value-neutral term. The archetype clearly refers to this use of stalking.

Corruptor is a bit odd as a choice, they don't really manipulate the fabric of the world around them any more than other classes do.

But I don't think it matters either way. I'm happy to keep living with the original design decisions made by the creators of the game we are able to keep playing, evne if the language is inaccurate. It's like still saying christmas when actually referring to "consumerist gifting spree in the name of Coca Cola".

Edited by Dugunthi