Staff Melee

Zalari

A somewhat underrated (maybe underpowered?) set, a weapon set at that. It's flashy and fun, has a couple niches that makes it unique. One thing it doesn't share among all other weapon sets, is the ability to set no redraw. What that means is; without the drawing animation, the set can perform its attacks more smoothly after using a non-set attack, and with the first attack used in combat. Example being Scrappers and their access to snipe attacks from epic pools. If you're using Staff and perform an epic snipe, you have to go through the entire re-drawing animation before another attack activates, and it both hampers the flow of combat and the overall performance of the set. As far as I am aware, Staff is the only weapon set without access to the "no redraw" customization that skips the drawing animation and allows attacks to flow freely. Many updates have come and gone, and it's somewhat appalling that Staff hasn't been given this touch of love yet, and it's much needed. Also scythe skin when?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zalari said:

If you're using Staff and perform an epic snipe, you have to go through the entire re-drawing animation before another attack activates, and it both hampers the flow of combat and the overall performance of the set.

Redraw has no impact on performance.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

No, but aesthetically, the staff disappears from your hands you do something else, and then the staff re-appears. It's not appealing. They should use the propel code. The staff drops from your hands, falls to the ground, and then you draw a new one.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

Pretty sure that's not true.

There was a time when redraw had no impact on performance, but that was patched away and now you do in fact pay a penalty of animation time to draw a weapon (except katana and Titan Weapons, due to a yet-later patch that Homecoming made).

EDIT:  I just figured I'd double-check and took my staff stalker out to punt some Hellions in Atlas Park.  It's a non-scientific test, but it seemed pretty clear: when my staff was not drawn, it was much longer before my damage arrived than if my staff was already out.

Edited by aethereal
  • Thumbs Up 1

To clarify, redraw does not effect overall performance, as the draw is accounted for by allowing you to act before the animation is over. This is easy to test. Engage a target with your staff out ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) and attempt to queue an attack while already executing one. You'll observe that the next attack won't activate until the previous animation is completely finished. However, if you do allow the drawing animation to occur during the activation of the power and queue your next attack, the attack animation will be canceled partway and the next attack will activate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!