SENTINELS !!!! SHOW THEM WHO YOU ARE !!!!

Heatstroke

14 hours ago, BazookaTwo said:

Someone commented that Sentinels are good for "cruise control" during a frostfire today. I noticed that honestly, I could skip ahead and nearly solo a mob before the rest of the team got there. 

I took that as a backhanded compliment, because well, I'm contributing a fair bit of damage, I'm not the least worried about any aggro I catch. I'm able to dive headfirst into a mob with no f's given. Is that really cruise control? I think tankers have a lazier feel than Sents, hands down.

Its not so much " cruise control " as its less..

" oh crap im stunned", " oh crap im out of break frees". " oh crap im about to die" 

One of my favorite Sents to roll out on tough things is my Dark/Bio Incarnate Build

Single Target...  got five of those. check..

AoE.. with Judgement I have six of those.. check.. 

Ok.. Two Heals.. an Absorb Power.. and End Recovery power and a T4 barrier... ok this debt badge is gonna take a while to get.. 

Oh yeah every attack has a ToHit Debuff.. 

Edited by Heatstroke
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later

I wouldn't call it cruise control.

Soloing an AV-level Clockwork King on a solo Synapse became a bit of a heart-in-mouth experience... but did it. With the very last scrap of END, no inspirations left.

BTW, Agent Chernekoska ("Black Cat") is Dual Pistols/Ninja/Ninja, and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

I might reroll my Egon-clone Ghostbuster (Beam/Ninja) at some point with a different Secondary.

Any other fun ideas?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later

I was happy before the changes. Now it feels too OP to me.

I compare sentinels to scrappers, not blasters. Where scrappers need to run up and sit on the mob's lap, sentinels can just immediately start blastin'. To compensate, we do less damage. But not having to hug every mob is absolutely priceless to me. Being able to be next to the tank, totally in the fray and not worry while spamming our T9 is great.

With our pretty nice defenses, I find I can tank just fine in almost all x4x8 PI groups, often veering off from the group and soloing some encounters. Additionally, melee hybrid gives a tank like taunt for 2 minutes which is quite nice.

• Like 1

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

On 2/27/2023 at 2:29 PM, DanaDark said:

I was happy before the changes. Now it feels too OP to me.

I compare sentinels to scrappers, not blasters. Where scrappers need to run up and sit on the mob's lap, sentinels can just immediately start blastin'. To compensate, we do less damage. But not having to hug every mob is absolutely priceless to me. Being able to be next to the tank, totally in the fray and not worry while spamming our T9 is great.

With our pretty nice defenses, I find I can tank just fine in almost all x4x8 PI groups, often veering off from the group and soloing some encounters. Additionally, melee hybrid gives a tank like taunt for 2 minutes which is quite nice.

Doesn't feel OP to me.  However, I don't tend to have the -Resist pop up on enemies now, because for normal enemies, I'm not casting Opportunity.  I just keep blasting away. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

I have many sentinels, and literally had to be told sentinels were "broke" to know that they were "broke" before they redid them. Sentinels literally do what they are suppose to in my opinion. 

I think the main problem is paying too much attention to chat. I literally have turned off general of late, as it just clogs feed and has no real value to it. People complain about everything so I wouldn't worry too much about complaints in chat. No one seems to care about AT anymore, as I am never asked. So I wouldn't worry about what people think. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

34 minutes ago, Gobbledygook said:

Fine, I'll roll a Sentinel.

Guess I'm doing Regen to compare to my current Regen Brute project.

Any recommendations for primary?

I'd go with whatever set you want to try out.   I'm enjoying my Rad/Regen.  Fully kitted out, throws out decent damage, and can take quite a bit.   It's nice to just back off, and note full health and stamina after a short pause.   And that's with defenses mostly in the 30s and resists not that high.

I did have a Seismic Blast/Regen but wasn't happy with it as much.   Sonic might be good for the -Res; Dark to make them miss even more?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gobbledygook said:

Fine, I'll roll a Sentinel.

Guess I'm doing Regen to compare to my current Regen Brute project.

Any recommendations for primary?

Generally speaking any primary would do.  To get the most enjoyment concept sould come first.

That said, I personally like to pair blast sets with Regen that have some kind of mitigation.

Someone mention sonic blast and if you don't mind the sounds, that's a solid choice so you can chain the 3 cones (-Res, Kb (with FF proc), then sleep).

I have a dark/Regen that is pretty dang durable as you'd expect, but requires melee to fire the nuke.  It's got a few proc`able powers to help boost it's damage thanks to having -ToHit, Holds, and KB.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard a number of folks say they really enjoy assault rifle with Regen.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, evetsleep said:

To get the most enjoyment concept sould come first.

I think this is what people really forget to do. Don't get me wrong, some people are not a "concept" player and run more to "beat the game". That is a legit way to play, but for me and many others coming up with a concept and making it work is the best way. I don't know how you can beat an online MMORP anyway.....but the concept sometimes is still there, ie, have the best set. Again, legit play, I am NOT knocking that. But go have fun. Pick something, and just enjoy it. There are very few things that don't work at all. 

I have a no pet MM, and granted, very difficult, but how else can you get the whip????? Can't wait to see what she does as an incarnate......I digress......

Edited by Paragon Vanguard

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

I got my latest "project" to 50 recently - a dark blast/super reflexes sentinel.  Between the enduring power's extra recovery and master brawler giving absorb, it's a very solid set.  Couple that with dark blast's self heal and it is surprisingly tanky.  My only criticism of the combination is that the damage feels a little low, compared to other sets I've tried on sentinels.  Still, the utility of this combination cannot be discounted, and with the inclusion of some powers from the fire mastery APP, I have some decent control as well.

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 month later
1 hour ago, ClawsandEffect said:

My Dark/SR Sentinel is, to date, the only character I've ever pulled off a solo MoITF run on. 

People can talk all they want. I kept the receipts. 

Working on a Dark/Bio atm. Dang, Dark animations and skills make it sluggish as heck, but I can't complain about the damage. The selling point to me is the quick AoE with two 1.2 powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Working on a Dark/Bio atm. Dang, Dark animations and skills make it sluggish as heck, but I can't complain about the damage. The selling point to me is the quick AoE with two 1.2 powers.

I went Dark/SR/Dark for Engulfing Darkness. 

Aim-ED-Blackstar-Void Judgment usually doesn't leave much standing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I played a Sentinel (Rad Blast/Regen), and very much enjoyed the survivability out of the box when I soloed. I can usually build this level of survivability up on other blast-y types like Defenders, Corrupters or Dominators, but for them it takes time - maybe by level 40 I feel as tough as a level 20 Sentinel?

I run a lot of PUG TF's, and I have to admit, I get much more excited if anyone with a support powerset joins my team than a Sentinel. But that's like 110% excited vs 80% excited that someone's joined my team, you know?

This is all working exactly as intended. Sentinels, Scrappers and Stalkers are self-contained solo-based archetypes - tough enough to survive and dish out great damage. The support powersets are weaker solo, and better on teams, and it says all that pretty clearly in the character creator.

Anyone who moans about Sentinels publicly is a jerk. I'd certainly never say anything to a Sentinel who joins a team, because I'm still glad to have a team mate, same as a Scrapper or Stalker.

I'm really glad the Homecoming team added Sentinels. They fill a big concept hole that we used to have to work around in all sorts of weird ways. I'm still not sure what my next Sentinel will be, but I'm feeling the itch to make another one...

• Like 4

My current trend is to take the elec or fire APPs, so I can offer a bit of healing to my teammates.  That being said, being self-sufficient also means that is one fewer teammate that needs the attention of said healer/buffer.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:29 AM, BazookaTwo said:

Someone commented that Sentinels are good for "cruise control" during a frostfire today. I noticed that honestly, I could skip ahead and nearly solo a mob before the rest of the team got there.

Really speaks volumes to how pathetic the content is. 

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Chronicler J said:

Really speaks volumes to how pathetic the content is.  of the difficulty level they were running it at.

Fixed it for you. First time's a freebie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6