ChatGPT Stories

Ankylosaur

42 minutes ago, Ankylosaur said:

It's why all these AIs are like the Industrial Revolution for creatives.

i think its awesome.  look, theres gonna be a shitfit. the instant businesses can, theyll cut staff. it costs 2x in overhead to put them in an office typically, and these days theyll quiet quit if they cant work from home whenever they like.

you see, theres an entire layer of people who's job was to be physically present and low grade intimidate (sorry, motivate).  thats, thankfully, cleared a bit with covid, but this 'ai can do job' thing... well, yes, in many cases.

for coding stuff, especially known problem domain with meta language coverage (think terraform, helm charts, cloudformation, various yaml and bobs for pipelines to consume) - the drive has been to reduce these to 'human readable' for those that couldn't.  now, and soon, that becomes consumption to models with goal seek patterns.

proper coding wise, its the same, we tell ourselves 'itll never be able', but know at the same: it is made of a stuff that encodes meaning to a language with form and rules. it has success criteria that can be derived or defined, it exists on networks with the same and has backing telemetry and protocols it complies with... 

people just want to scream at their compute: 'make bucket! set fire! put it out! attribute heroism to me. profits!' and so they shall.

2 years, im telling you, 2 years until its cutting folk left and right.

survive, said the prophet.

The Industrial Revolution, like others of its type, will also put a lot of people out of jobs. 

I do think this is different. It’s dealing with emulating our intelligence, to the point where it may be indistinguishable from our own someday (perhaps even superior?). We’re ultimately always creating extensions of ourselves, from old style telescopes extending our eyesight, to dish washers that replace our hands. Ultimately, we’re saving time. But to do what? If we can create devices to emulate the fruit of our creativity, what then? Where then is our time spent, when everything we could do is done for us?

I realize this is personal for me, having always been writing and creating (mainly as a hobby). I won’t have to use anything like ChatGPT to do that for me. But others will. They’ll use a machine to provide an outline, and their novel will be written for them. Then, they’ll ironically take credit for doing nearly nothing. 

Yeah, that’s the extreme, pessimistic view. Until, or if, we see such a thing, I’ll live in hope that our collective wisdom proves to be enough.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

14 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Where then is our time spent, when everything we could do is done for us?

in the pursuit of the salvation of humanity, and glory of mankind? or in a drift towards a thrashing purgatory? sloth may reign, with the hedonist, and we'll rot in the brain.

That's always been the big future of work question... What is everyone going to do...

And actually I'm sure they'll be a pendulum swing and a made by humans movements, etc

But by creatives, yes, not just artists/entertainers - engineers, architects, lawyers, all sorts. AI works well within constraints 

1. I am sure it will be able to design a building to code lickety split.
  2. Generative AI is already being used to design parts to meet performance specs in ways a person would never think of
  3. Lawyers basically research and compile info to draw a conclusion or craft documents based on research to protect you. Seems right in its wheelhouse.

Lots of unknowns ahead for all of us...

• Like 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

7 hours ago, cranebump said:

their novel will be written for them. Then, they’ll ironically take credit for doing nearly nothing.

Tell me what the definition of plagiarism is without telling me you're defining plagiarism.   😃

Also, btw: reading on the topic, someone pointed out that by playing around with these things, you're helping the company refine their product.  For free.  You know, just like how it's scraping material from the web to parrot, too!

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• 4 weeks later

A pretty interesting example of AI used for role-play in Skyrim. Super-early example done with a mod but this lets you speak to characters using your voice, which converts it to text, feeds it to ChatGPT that understands Skyrim since all the characters etc are online, and role-plays that character back. 

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

On 5/10/2023 at 2:28 PM, Ankylosaur said:

Kurt Vonnegut wrote about exactly this in Timequake, published in 1997 (25 years ago!).  

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

On 1/30/2023 at 10:40 PM, Jiro Ito said:

Seems like a fast way to generate a lot of generic content, but without any of the creativity, twists, or feelings a real human could come up with. 

This is an old trope that I think we're getting over. ChatGPT has surprised everybody with the quality of it's output.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:28 PM, Ankylosaur said:

That's always been the big future of work question... What is everyone going to do...

And actually I'm sure they'll be a pendulum swing and a made by humans movements, etc

But by creatives, yes, not just artists/entertainers - engineers, architects, lawyers, all sorts. AI works well within constraints 

2. Generative AI is already being used to design parts to meet performance specs in ways a person would never think of
  3. Lawyers basically research and compile info to draw a conclusion or craft documents based on research to protect you. Seems right in its wheelhouse.

Lots of unknowns ahead for all of us...

I think humans will make work for humans.

It looks like the future of work is manual labour. Robotic advancement isn't keeping pace with AI. Hopefully AI will accelerate robotic advancement!

... and then there's protest. Free people protest. It's a thing. 

Governments are already cracking down on protest, we're heading towards police-states all over the western world. 

Massive wealth redistribution is required because of the inevitable natural economic effect of money making money - monopolies become inevitable, we get Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four situation (funny how that keeps cropping up, isn't it?) ... and when people are all unemployed the situation becomes "Business vs Humans".

As if it isn't already.

• Like 1

Here's one for you: Specify that the arc has to contain a betrayal, but the betrayal must have a good reason.

This opens a whole bunch of characterisation for baddies - they become more understandable and tragic.

Baddies who do evil for the sake of it are boring.

Baddies who do evil because they have a horrible choice - they're interesting - those are the ones that might be redeemable.

I guess they don't fit too well into the Hero-Antihero-Rogue-Villain system, but ... they're a thing.

I guess you could do that for an outline. But a machine has no emotional understanding of betrayal, so I’m not sure how convincing its story could be.

I guess for people who have zero writing ability, this will be a Godsend. Meanwhile, the people who do can keep creating content for them to steal/emulate.:-/

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:13 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Tell me what the definition of plagiarism is without telling me you're defining plagiarism.   😃

Also, btw: reading on the topic, someone pointed out that by playing around with these things, you're helping the company refine their product.  For free.  You know, just like how it's scraping material from the web to parrot, too!

I’m already to the point where I’m questioning whether new forum posters are real, especially when they ask questions that could be answered with a 2-minute trip to the help section (or, you know, a Google search).

On 6/17/2023 at 1:07 PM, cranebump said:

I guess you could do that for an outline. But a machine has no emotional understanding of betrayal, 

Well that's something to analyse when you look at the result, isn't it?

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

Well that's something to analyse when you look at the result, isn't it?

Not really. What you are going to get is some sort of emulation of emotion. But it will not be real. as for whether it can produce a passable facsimile, that is another question. Which is, perhaps the question you’re referring to here. Because I don’t think you’re trying to say that machines have feelings or understand them.

Edited by cranebump

On 6/16/2023 at 2:23 AM, Herotu said:

This is an old trope that I think we're getting over. ChatGPT has surprised everybody with the quality of it's output.

I am not surprised.  It's poor quality. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

15 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

I am not surprised.  It's poor quality. 

I have to agree. These models do a good job of grinding out unimaginative, derivate works. And I believe the same with AI art models. 

I've done some work in related deep learning fields, and I have more of an insight into how these work than many others, and it doesn't impress me that they can carry on thoughtful conversations so much as I come to realize how non-thoughtful most actual human conversation is.

It's perhaps the same with art. A good artist isn't always the one who has the greatest technical mastery of the depiction of images or objects with fidelity to a vision, but rather, putting an emotional spark into them. 

Perhaps the AI tools will get there too, but imo they haven't so far.

now that would be scary!

Doh...double post

Edited by cranebump

4 hours ago, Andreah said:

it doesn't impress me that they can carry on thoughtful conversations so much as I come to realize how non-thoughtful most actual human conversation is.

Ain’t that the truth. Why just the other day I was chatting with a friend about why Banner-Hulk has to be less powerful than Big-Dumb Hulk when…wait, was I talking?

In one of my supergroups where we're basically attending a school for powered students, the general opinion of the student body so far is that it's weird ChatGPT is getting so much press when someone like Citadel is *right there*, and probably better able to write stuff like this. The robotic student in particular thinks the technology is interesting but, as yet, inferior.

• Haha 1

Build your own MUD!

But did I actually "build" it? 

The future="I provided the framework for (X)!"

True - it's all about good prompt writing. But it was fun to paste in that prompt an try it out.

There were a few typos in the prompt that needed correcting, and as a game its like a random dungeon generator, but it was pretty amazing it worked at all.

Oh and I tried it a couple of times and even the "UI" changed for things like "Check Inventory"

And every time I pasted it in, its first response was "I can't do a MUD" paste it again and it begins.

ChatGPT must lack a little confidence. 😉 But given a nudge it plays along...

Edited by Ankylosaur