DC Chapter One: Gods & Monsters (Gunnverse Reboot)

13 minutes ago, Techwright said:

It's Lucasfilms, so it's also Disney.  Do you think they're going to let that cash cow go to pasture?  I can see a few years off, but I can't see Disney letting go of Indiana Jones permanently. 

There's one possibility that might allow them to have cake and eat it too:  introduce a new Indy actor, but also retain Ford.  Kind of like Leonard Nimoy in 2009's Star Trek reboot.   In the case of Indy, there's the major point in the TV show The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (which I'll call "soft canon" though it was originally intended as canon, I'm told), that the stories of his past are told by a 90-year-old Indy.  Translated to the movies, that might allow Harrison Ford to take on the old storyteller mantel, while introducing his replacement.  Depending on Ford's health and, well, continued existence, they might be able to squeeze out a couple of films with this motif.

There is a theory out there that Indy's goddaughter in this film will be the focus of an Indy-like series of films going forward, though I'm not sure if the 1970s as a setting will hold the mystique and storytelling potential of the Nazi-era 1930s and 40s.  I for one might be interested in early Cold War-era films surrounding Short Round, Indy's kid sidekick in Temple of Doom.  It could bring an Asian lead to the larger Indy-verse and might focus on stories in Asia or the entire Pacific.  I'm merely guessing where S.R. ended up, since he's not mentioned again.  (I'd really like a cameo or some reference to him in this final film.)

I seem to recall they once had a tentative plan to have Shia LaBeouf take the mantle and continue as Indy's son. But obviously that never happened. The less said about that movie the better.

54 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I seem to recall they once had a tentative plan to have Shia LaBeouf take the mantle and continue as Indy's son. But obviously that never happened. The less said about that movie the better.

The movie wasn't a total loss.  Having Marian back was a blast, and having Cate Blanchett as the villain was great.  The mini documentary on surviving an atomic blast with only temporary disorientation by hiding in refrigerators was quite useful as well.  No more Burt the Turtle with "duck and cover", and no need for expensive survival rooms buried in the back yard.