Cones...what's wrong with them?

BazookaTwo

1 minute ago, Erratic1 said:

Its cheatie in the context that they are methods which are difficult to combine if you are not playing a Bio sentinel.

OK, so "totally legitimate methods of play".  Gotcha.  It's like saying it's "Cheatie" because dual pistol sents can get a permanent range bonus when using cryo ammo, or how ninjitsu sents can get a stealth power w/o having to take concealment.  Different sets offer different things, and that's not cheating. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, biostem said:

OK, so "totally legitimate methods of play".  Gotcha.  It's like saying it's "Cheatie" because dual pistol sents can get a permanent range bonus when using cryo ammo, or how ninjitsu sents can get a stealth power w/o having to take concealment.  Different sets offer different things, and that's not cheating. 

Not sure if pedantry is your thing, English is not a first language, you're trying to annoy, or what game you're playing. Not really in the mood to find out.

THE POINT WAS I do not discount the benefit of range, in particular because I have specifically sought it out for the benefits it brings. 

Say whatever pithy thing you want, I really am past the point of caring at this point.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Not sure if pedantry is your thing, English is not a first language, you're trying to annoy, or what game you're playing. Not really in the mood to find out.

THE POINT WAS I do not discount the benefit of range, in particular because I have specifically sought it out for the benefits it brings. 

Say whatever pithy thing you want, I really am past the point of caring at this point.

You are the one that brought up the notion of doing things that were "cheatie".  My point is that you should not discount legitimate aspects of the game, such as different effects/bonuses that various powersets and set bonuses have to offer.  Here's a suggestion going forward - avoid the hyperbole, since inflection or intent does not carry over well in a text-based medium, and don't infer bad intentions where there is none.

Imma just chime in to say I don't for a split second comprehend how slotting a ranged (cone) attack for Range could "cheaty" when the preferred alternative is to slot the power for Enhancement set bonuses, which BTW one of the ranged AoE sets offers a global 5% range boost for using 2 pieces from the set, and other slottable enhancement sets also include pieces that boost Range.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, tidge said:

Imma just chime in to say I don't for a split second comprehend how slotting a ranged (cone) attack for Range could "cheaty" when the preferred alternative is to slot the power for Enhancement set bonuses, which BTW one of the ranged AoE sets offers a global 5% range boost for using 2 pieces from the set, and other slottable enhancement sets also include pieces that boost Range.

Pretty much only one ranged ST set from PvP.  Did i miss something somewhere?   

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Bombardment 2 pc. I've got 5 pieces of the set (for the global recharge) with Res Debuff in the final slot for Fireball. But Fireball being a radial effect as opposed to a cone, all the range is getting you is how far away you can stand from your target and cast it. It will have a 15' radius regardless. 

I shied away from Fire Breath on my Sentinel but I think that came from long ago, early days levelling with him and the consideration of the horribly short ranges Sentinels get. It certainly came before I decided to go range crazy on him. If Mid's is to be trusted, I could push to 68' range on Fire Breath. That's nearly  2.9x the area, though limited by target cap of course. The real problem is the allocation of slots. Something will have to go, but I think I have an Epic power I can drop.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

Bombardment 2 pc. I've got 5 pieces of the set (for the global recharge) with Res Debuff in the final slot for Fireball. But Fireball being a radial effect as opposed to a cone, all the range is getting you is how far away you can stand from your target and cast it. It will have a 15' radius regardless. 

I shied away from Fire Breath on my Sentinel but I think that came from long ago, early days levelling with him and the consideration of the horribly short ranges Sentinels get. It certainly came before I decided to go range crazy on him. If Mid's is to be trusted, I could push to 68' range on Fire Breath. That's nearly  2.9x the area, though limited by target cap of course. The real problem is the allocation of slots. Something will have to go, but I think I have an Epic power I can drop.

Yes thank you.  I knew of this though was unclear in my response as 

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

We are discussing Cones, not ST. For strictly Damage sets, 2 pieces of Bombardment offer a range boost. Positron's Blast includes a Range piece, as does Artillery. There are D-Syncs for Accuracy/Range, and Hami-O's for Damage/Range.

Cones with other effects offer even more options.

40 minutes ago, tidge said:

We are discussing Cones, not ST. For strictly Damage sets, 2 pieces of Bombardment offer a range boost. Positron's Blast includes a Range piece, as does Artillery. There are D-Syncs for Accuracy/Range, and Hami-O's for Damage/Range.

Cones with other effects offer even more options.

Yes but there is a pvp range set that boosts range of all a characters powers and we are discussing how to lengthen and therefore empower cones

23 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Yes but there is a pvp range set that boosts range of all a characters powers and we are discussing how to lengthen and therefore empower cones

You've been looking in your spam folder again haven't you Snarky? Those "enlargement" emails aren't relevant here. 🤣

• Haha 2

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!

44 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I don't think that PVP effect applies outside of PVP zones unless there's a bug I'm not aware of.

HOWEVER... The Superior Blaster's Wrath 3-piece set bonus gives 10% range boost to all attacks, not just the attack it's in.  You could, use this twice if you split it into 2 powers and get 20% added to all your attacks.  I usually op for 5 or 6 slotting since those 5th and 6th bonuses are pretty good.  If I ever make an Assault Rifle Blaster (not likely) I would consider getting the 20 percent boost.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

34 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I don't think that PVP effect applies outside of PVP zones unless there's a bug I'm not aware of.

HOWEVER... The Superior Blaster's Wrath 3-piece set bonus gives 10% range boost to all attacks, not just the attack it's in.  You could, use this twice if you split it into 2 powers and get 20% added to all your attacks.  I usually op for 5 or 6 slotting since those 5th and 6th bonuses are pretty good.  If I ever make an Assault Rifle Blaster (not likely) I would consider getting the 20 percent boost.

I did a triple split on them for the 30%. Compared to splitting the set in half it cost +7.2% max endurance (something I could live without as Bio).

Yeah, that 10% global recharge at 5pc bonus would have been nice to have.

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

Damn Shred Monkey?  Even you?

I am sick.  This is entertaining in a borderline trolling way.  Keeps the coffin hopping.

Here goes.  to (try) and dispel the confusion.

I have found THREE sets that give Range bonuses across all powers on a character.  

1) Bombardment; at the 2 piece slotted gives a +5% range bonus

2) Experienced Marksman; (PvP set) at the 2 piece slotted gives a 5% range bonus (this is the PvE bonus, NOT the PvP bonus)

3) Warp; 4 pieces gives a 7.5% range bonus

There are other PvP sets that only give Range bonuses for PvP.  Not covered. There are quite a few ATOs that give range bonuses as well.  I will not be covering that here.  Because the sheer amount of "Did you mean this instead?" will make me want to stake myself....

1 hour ago, Andreah said:

It would be cool, imo, if you could enhance the width of a cone.

You can…. By increasing the range your farthest part of the cone has a wider footprint.  I assume you mean the degree arc of the cone though?   Will never happen

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

You can…. By increasing the range your farthest part of the cone has a wider footprint.  I assume you mean the degree arc of the cone though?   Will never happen

You can if you "enhance" your AT by re-rolling as a Tanker.  50% wider cones!*

*Results may vary.  Other side-effects include increased desire to herd, inability to die, and uncontrollable laughter in the face of danger.  Ask your doctor about Tankers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I generally like ranged cones. I enjoy the positioning aspect of them.

Melee cones are a completely different animal. Most are too short to be effect unless you are using fold space to compact the mobs.

I avoid any cone that doesn't have a range of 9, regardless of width, most melee cones have a range of 7.