The ATs I want to team with and why

DougGraves

On 2/8/2023 at 3:24 PM, Seed22 said:

Yeah I find that interesting as hell! I mean think about it: MM tanks..wish folks did that more back then. Woulda been awesome to see this lil 800 HP dude herding mobs lol! Now it’s lost it’s pazazz 😞

But yeah they’re wayyyyy too goddamn slow. WHY are mercs, trained men mind you, moving like a regular joe schmoe who’se been asked by his wife to go to the store after the game just started?

i’m also not a fan of MMs when building a team. if i’m speeding they’ll be left behind, if it’s hard content then heavy hitters are needed

i’m sure they’re a fun solo AT for people who enjoy the playstyle, i might run one sometime as a chillout character

1 minute ago, MoonSheep said:

i’m also not a fan of MMs when building a team. if i’m speeding they’ll be left behind, if it’s hard content then heavy hitters are needed

i’m sure they’re a fun solo AT for people who enjoy the playstyle, i might run one sometime as a chillout character

one of the most competent players i know loves MMs   and they do not get left behind.  But, talent, keybinds, knowledge = power

Maybe this is my inner geezer speaking, but having played since the Beta back in 2004, I personally I don't really care what AT people are playing as long as their competent enough with their character that they don't need hand holding.

That said if a person is truly a new player I'm all for them playing as well, but if they are on a  lvl 50 toon that's an unslotted AE baby I'm less inclined to team with them, especially on content that requires teamwork.

• Thanks 1

In general all you need is one good tank and one good blaster and everything dies… even on +4x8. 

but in this game debuff is king. Damage is queen. And tanks are just princely. 🙂

An 8 man team of almost any archetype will slaughter anything. Doesn’t matter.  

and although it’s already been said, 2 or 3 tanks is freaking awesome. They all go out and drag 2-3 groups back to the team that promptly slaughters them, and the other tanks just keep the baddies streaming in until the entire map is cleared. Lots of fun!

10 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

but in this game debuff is king. Damage is queen. And tanks are just princely. 🙂

I'd say buffs are more efficient than debuffs in this game just due to the Purple Patch.    Maybe the one exception there is -regen on an AV/GM... but then they went and put Envenomed Daggers up for sale so anyone can do it.

Nice thing about choosing a debuff set though is all the powers are useful both in a team and solo.  Not true of most team buffers.  But the Purple Patch does make me sad.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't care who I play with or what ATs they are unless it's a particular challenge.

This game has a fundamental strength in that it can be the game you want, and quite a different game for somebody else. That's an amazing and highly underrated quality and we forget it too frequently.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A friend asked me if I knew any Motown puns. I told him I know two or three, maybe four, tops!

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Honestly I don't care who I play with or what ATs they are unless it's a particular challenge.

This game has a fundamental strength in that it can be the game you want, and quite a different game for somebody else. That's an amazing and highly underrated quality and we forget it too frequently.

Agreed.  I'll take a good player behind a "bad AT" over a bad player behind a "good AT", any day!

• Thumbs Up 3

Cool thread. So I'm making yet another theme toon...this one will be pure team/support, and being a total pacifist, only for support/buff/healing (possibly debuff too, but no damage). So, I want to try to see if I can get to 50 without doing a single point of direct damage :D. I'd obviouslyt have to take any initial dmg dealing powers, and ignore them. I'm sure many have tried & succeeded, but keep in mind, I'm a chronic solo carebear.

So, what would be the 'easiest' & most effective AT primary/secondary to take up? I don't like the tanker router, as they really should do *some* damage, often via reflect powers. Troller seems a natural pick, Defender look good too, but their secondaries usually do ranged damage. I don't really want to gimp myself, but I will skip any/all direct dmg powers up to ~40.

Empathy, Nature seem obvious choices, maybe Gravity, Mind...? Perhaps a Dominator, or even a Kheldian built the right way...? Cheers guys!

Game over man, game over!