Delay in targeting rezzing Freaks

RikOz

Is there anything that can be done to get rid of the huge delay in being able to target a Freak that is in the process of self-rezzing? Is there even a legit reason for the delay?

It's especially annoying when playing a scrapper with no inherent taunt but with a damage aura, because these rezzing Freaks have a tendency to take off running before they can be targeted.

It also came to my attention, once I started running alignment missions on a Vigilante, that this delay only applies to player characters, not to NPCs. Specifically, the "An Explosion in Peregrine" mission. If you run that one as a Vigilante, you get teamed up with Blast Furnace, and Blast Furnace will target and attack the rezzing Freaks the instant they start to rez, while the player is left standing there waiting for the rez animation to complete.

10 minutes ago, RikOz said:

Is there even a legit reason for the delay?

So they can't be exploited for extra rewards with zero risk.  While they can still be affected by PBAoEs, location AoEs and pets/pseudo-pets, those are unlikely to one-shot them, so they have at least a chance to put up a token struggle before being put back down again.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

6 minutes ago, biostem said:

use a location-based AoE power to hit them.

Actually, any AoE power that has the rezzer in the area of effect will hit them; it's chancier, because it's harder to ensure that the rezzer is in the right spot to be affected. However, it does feel good when it happens -- I remember fighting some Freaks on a Dark Melee Brute, and I happened to have a Freak Chopper rez into the area of my Shadow Maul as I triggered it on his neighbor, dropping him again.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I happened to have a Freak Chopper rez into the area of my Shadow Maul as I triggered it on his neighbor, dropping him again.

That's interesting - Did that mob become a valid target between the activation and the target check of the power, if you couldn't have targeted them beforehand?

It's basically like when Twilight's Grasp rezzes you. If the timing is right, or wrong depending on your point of view, Twilight's Grasp rezzes you because of its timing. Pretty much the same thing with hitting a rezzing Freakshow with Shadow Maul when attacking another Freakshow.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, biostem said:

That's interesting - Did that mob become a valid target between the activation and the target check of the power, if you couldn't have targeted them beforehand?

It must have; the Freak Chopper was on the ground, and I heard the crackle as it began to rez when I threw Shadow Maul, then I watched orange damage numbers trail up from it as it did the 'float into the air spinning' rez animation, then it fell over again.

I get similar oddities in Nemesis and RIkti raids and zombie invasions; when I'm attacking directly, I can sometimes target mobs that haven't spawned in yet, but can't attack them until they complete the spawn-in (and in most cases, fire off an attack before becoming attackable, or despawn without ever becoming attackable), but if I target through a pet, I can attack mobs that aren't yet visible or are still spawning in. I suspect that this is controlled by the fact that the targeting for pets is all done on the server, without the lag of sending packets back and forth to the client -- and similarly, for cones and targeted AoEs, additional targets are picked by the server once the attack fires, again without the need to pass packets to the client. So I could fire my cone attack at a valid target, and have the server decide the mob rezzing next to him is also a valid target, even though on my client he hasn't finished the rezzing animation and the packet saying he's a valid target hasn't arrived.

• Thumbs Up 1