Help with Schadenfreude in Dr. Kahn Task Force ?

MrZork

We were trying the Dr. Kahn TF (ME: a Mind Control / Empathy controller and my partner a Dark Dark tank) and got to Schadenfreude after the part inside City Haul. We basicallly had no effect on him. His health barely went below full the whole time. We eventually left the part of the map he was on, destroyed a portal, wiped the rest of the minions, then came back to fight Schadenfreude again. No dice. Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated. And, yes, several rezzes were used and we called the P2W prestige summons (ghosts of Statesman, Back All Brawler, Positron) all to no avail.

BTW, we aren't experienced CoH players. Our heroes just hit level 50, but we haven't figured out what to do with incarnate shards that have started to drop, etc. Maybe our problem is we need to upgrade enhancements or do some incarnate things to match up to this content?

OP mentions Schadenfreude, not invincible Reichsman, which is who Snarky is describing.  Snarks may be giving you misinformation to protect one of his vampire brethren.

Schad is tough.  Defeatable by a duo but not someone I'd suggest to someone new to the game with (ostensibly) an SO type build.  I don't really mean for that to sound elitist but my point boils down to, Schad is tough, too tough for many duos unless they're built for someone like him.

The good news is, at least you found out early.  If Schad was tough for your duo, Reichs (final boss of tf) would have been absolutely impossible.

As for advice, if you're new just join someone forming a team for that TF, or even start one yourself, recruit other players and let folks know you're new.

Edited by Hedgefund2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, MrZork said:

We were trying the Dr. Kahn TF (ME: a Mind Control / Empathy controller and my partner a Dark Dark tank) and got to Schadenfreude after the part inside City Haul. We basicallly had no effect on him. His health barely went below full the whole time. We eventually left the part of the map he was on, destroyed a portal, wiped the rest of the minions, then came back to fight Schadenfreude again. No dice. Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated. And, yes, several rezzes were used and we called the P2W prestige summons (ghosts of Statesman, Back All Brawler, Positron) all to no avail.

BTW, we aren't experienced CoH players. Our heroes just hit level 50, but we haven't figured out what to do with incarnate shards that have started to drop, etc. Maybe our problem is we need to upgrade enhancements or do some incarnate things to match up to this content?

Well, with those two characters you have very little damage output.  My usual solution for that is that every one of my characters will have a Shivan Shard temp power from Bloody Bay and, once they're high enough to join Vanguard (level 35), the Vanguard HVAS temp power.  Two players could have done it if one or both had strong debuffs.  Having said that, I would not even attempt that TF with just two people since the AV at the end (Reichsman) is STUPIDLY TOUGH.  Every team I have ever been on absolutely curb-stomped Schadenfreude but some had a real slog when we got to Reichsman.

If you haven't figured out what to do with incarnate shards, that means you're only level 50.  Once you create powers using those shards, you can become level 50+1.  You don't get any extra powers but you fight as if one level higher, which makes a big difference on tough enemies.

Also, it sounds like you're using SO enhancements or possibly generic IO's.  You need to look into set IO's, ATO's and purple IO's.  Are these needed for normal content?  No.  But duoing the Kahn TF is *NOT* normal content.  That requires a high-end build.

Personally, I have never done the Kahn TF with less than 8 people on the team.  I would never attempt to duo it.  And I duoed the Imperious TF with my scrapper and a tank to get the Master badge (no deaths).

• Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

A level 50 AV has about 28,000 hp, and regenerates 5% of that every 12 seconds.  A really solid damage dealer out damage that, but not by a lot, so it's going to be a long fight.  BUT your problem is probably that Schadenfreude has one of the vampiric style heals (I'll call it Life Drain, but it might have a different name).  This is a good thing because if he just did a self heal there's nothing you could do about it except do more damage.  Heals give live based on a % of the max HP of the entity being healed, so an AV is gonna get a huge chunk of HP from a heal.  Life Drain, however, has to hit a target to heal the caster, so if you have your tank pop enough purple inspirations to get over 45% defense (which will put the AV at it's minimum tohit chance) he's going to miss his life drain most of the time and then all you'll have to do is out damage the regen.

Also, welcome to the endgame.  There is A LOT more information on this subject available, and the power of your toons can grow immensely if you take the time to learn and apply this information.  The forums are absolutely the place to learn this information, so you're in the right place.  I'm excited for you.  Good luck.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

[Oddly, I thought I posted most of the reply below last Sunday. Now I don't see it, so here goes again...]

Thanks for all those replies. There is a lot in there and it looks like understanding more about what's going on at level 50 and beyond needs to be a priority. So far, this is the first combat content we've hit as a duo that we haven't been able to figure out, at least eventually.

BTW, the two toons in question are level 50 with no incarnates socketed yet. But, they have almost entirely attuned enhancement set IOs and I have started converting some to their Superior versions. I don't know where the notion about us using only SOs came from, but that's not the case.

That vampiric regen is no joke. At least if that's what I think it is, Schad uses it every minute or two and, while the tank can deal with it, if my controller is too near, it almost one-shots him. That also tends to wipe any summons we call (Back Alley Brawler for melee and Posi for ranged).

The controller keeps the tank buffed with Fortitude and has Maneuvers and Tactics active. Looks like Assault might be a useful respec addition. I use Corrosive Vial as often as it recharges, hoping to take some of the bite out of the enemies' regen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2023 at 3:23 PM, Shred Monkey said:

A level 50 AV has about 28,000 hp, and regenerates 5% of that every 12 seconds.  A really solid damage dealer out damage that, but not by a lot, so it's going to be a long fight.  BUT your problem is probably that Schadenfreude has one of the vampiric style heals (I'll call it Life Drain, but it might have a different name).  This is a good thing because if he just did a self heal there's nothing you could do about it except do more damage.  Heals give live based on a % of the max HP of the entity being healed, so an AV is gonna get a huge chunk of HP from a heal.  Life Drain, however, has to hit a target to heal the caster, so if you have your tank pop enough purple inspirations to get over 45% defense (which will put the AV at it's minimum tohit chance) he's going to miss his life drain most of the time and then all you'll have to do is out damage the regen.

Also, welcome to the endgame.  There is A LOT more information on this subject available, and the power of your toons can grow immensely if you take the time to learn and apply this information.  The forums are absolutely the place to learn this information, so you're in the right place.  I'm excited for you.  Good luck.

I could be wrong, but I recall Schadenfreude having both Siphon Life and Reconstruction.

He will heal for a good chunk every 60 seconds, but he only activates it when he's below a certain threshold (50%? 25%?).

5 hours ago, nihilii said:

I could be wrong, but I recall Schadenfreude having both Siphon Life and Reconstruction.

He will heal for a good chunk every 60 seconds, but he only activates it when he's below a certain threshold (50%? 25%?).

You're right.  I just went and fought him.  I couldn't find it in the battle log, but he healed at around 25% back up to around 50%, maybe a little under, so that sounds like reconstruction.

He also has life drain and spams it pretty frequently.  [15:46] Schadenfreude MISSES! Life Drain power had a 7.50% chance to hit, but rolled a 41.57.

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow