Make the Suggestions Board function like LEGO Ideas

dtjunkie

Some of my favorite LEGO sets have come from fans submitting their ideas through the LEGO Ideas process. At a high level the way it works is an Idea contributor submits their idea for a new LEGO set and the community can vote to support it. Once an idea gets enough community support, the set is then evaluated by LEGO and some eventually get approved for development and released as real sets by LEGO.

So I propose that when a suggestion is submitted here, the community can show support by liking the OP's post. At the end of a certain time period (maybe a month or a quarter) any suggestions that have exceeded a certain like threshold (30 likes? I dunno) get put into a poll that is an official community poll. The top 2 or 3 of the suggestions that come out on top of the poll are then evaluated by the developer team. 

And sometimes LEGO comes back and says, "This set, while cool, just wouldn't work because of these technical reasons". And that would probably happen a lot here. But sometimes you get a really cool new LEGO set.

What if the suggestion gets the threshold likes (say 30 as your example) but also gets 31 dislikes? The benefit of a forum to discuss ideas and feedback is that the suggestions are not so binary as simply requesting a new LEGO kit. Suggestions are by their nature in a MMO dynamic. What one person wants is limited and often ignores what others want or are enjoying. Having discussions on those ideas helps those ideas grow and evolve, addressing concerns the author may not have considered. Your proposal of simply looking at likes within a set time frame ignores and precludes that. (It also does not account for the ability of people to make multiple accounts and then self-like their ideas to reach the threshold.)

59 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

What percentage of the player base would you guess regularly uses the forums?

I'll be generous and say about 20%, but then 80% of statistics are made up on the spot.

• Haha 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

The problem is, liking an idea does not address its feasibility to whether its implementation would fit into the development schedule or resources available.  Further, sometimes something being popular is not in the best interest of the game, so that would have to be considered as well...

• Thumbs Up 2