What do you consider the worst power combos?

shadowrex

I feel I've answered this question before, but here goes.  I tried to make a empath/electric offender and it kept going every kind of wrong in every situation, solo, team, was moderately successful as a sitter on a farm.  Another was a dark/poison controller, teammates didn't want me to rez them, aoe's had the smallest radius i've seen and as my first troller ireally didn't know what I was doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:08 PM, Snarky said:

Anything with Dark Armor that is not Dark Melee   you NEED that end recovery power

I leveled up a Dark/Ice tanker solo. I love this build. You want a  controller/tanker? This is it!

The end management was delicate at low levels, but by level 32 it was no longer an issue. You can't have all the toggles on, but you can have enough to control the battlefield while bashing heads.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/23/2023 at 2:01 PM, Gulbasaur said:

I will say that kinetics is dire solo. So little of it benefits you apart from a heal, a run speed boost and a small damage buff for much of the early-mid game. 

That's the downside of any buff-heavy support set. Emp, Pain, FF, Fire to a lesser extent... you can't use the best powers on yourself.

On the flip side, TA is useful to you all the time... until you need to heal or you run out of end or that -15% acc just isnt cutting it for keeping you from gettining hit =)

On 2/18/2023 at 5:08 PM, Snarky said:

Anything with Dark Armor that is not Dark Melee   you NEED that end recovery power, The to hit debuffs and heal and all the rest round it out nicely.  But before a full 50 build and poss incarnate end help?  You NEED that end recovery power.

Actually all you need is to slot Theft of Essence chance for endurance in Dark Regen.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I feel I've answered this question before, but here goes.  I tried to make a empath/electric offender and it kept going every kind of wrong in every situation, solo, team, was moderately successful as a sitter on a farm.  Another was a dark/poison controller, teammates didn't want me to rez them, aoe's had the smallest radius i've seen and as my first troller ireally didn't know what I was doing.

Dark/Poison trollers are VERY powerful. I built one on live the day they dropped - from memory Dark was released and Poison ported in the same patch and we were given a DXP weekend - I raced to the 40s that weekend and made it to 50 very soon after. I then got a stock IO build (no procs, nothing expensive mostly just basic crafted IOs) and ventured into RV, and got griefed by a pair of "pro-PVPers" who were shocked that although they beat me eventually had to work really hard to take me down and suffered some significant loss of face in the process. I don't know why you'd have an issue wtih it but I'd be glad to offer what advice I could.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 2/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I don't know why you'd have an issue wtih it but I'd be glad to offer what advice I could.

Thanks, I got my controller sorted out around 45.  Just new to the playstyle I guess, not used to hanging in the back and clicking a power every now and again.  

On 2/21/2023 at 10:09 AM, KC4800 said:

Energy Blast/ Traps Corruptor is a pretty Bad Combo. Not that you can't make it work solo, but teaming is quite hard. Especially with melee teammates. I have one, in my own personal SG called Bad Combinations. I love playing him, but 95% of the time he's solo working his craft. I have had to answer more than once why I don't use KB to  KD in my blasts. But the KB is too important when soloing. When I run force field generator, that puts my ranged defense over 45%; therefore, I need to keep from getting punched in the face. Knock them back into ranged attacks. Throw caltrops, keep them away. It's fun but it's a lonely existance sometimes.

on a full stack team of these it would be fantastic 

Mind Control x Anything Controller. I mean Dark isn't great but it will keep you mostly alive. Everything else just makes it more or less easy to run away. And the danger isn't always to your green bar  but to your heart when you watch any other AT walk up to that mob that takes you 15 minutes to beat and slaps it out of that way like a garbage tier trash mob.

Mind Control need some serious thought in this blaster-centric, control does nothing version of the game. I don't even dislike this version of the game, Mind Control just needs to fit into it somewhere rather than being the power-set devs forgot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Characters I moved to Torchbearer (basically my form of deleted):

1. Energy/Fire Blaster... no synergy. Just don't roll it. It's not playable. You just KB everything away constantly. 
  2. Fire/Kin Controller... I know this isn't the "worst" combination ever, but I must say... it's just well, dated compared to what it was on Live. Didn't care for it.
  3. Fire/Fire Dominator... This is a surprising one, but I just thought it was overall a bit "meh." Good damage, but mediocre utility overall at least for my taste.
  4. Archery/TA... Oh I know this is another fan-favorite. I despised it. It hit like a wet noodle and the AoE was just... so mediocre compared to what I thought it would be.
  5. All AR/ blasters I've ever made. Enuff said.
  6. SS/ Brutes... Some aren't bad gameplay-wise but honestly just roll anything SS on a Tank especially post-Tanker changes.
  7. Fire/Fire Stalker... Just don't do it. Fiery Aura on a Stalker sucks hard balls. 
  8. Empathy/Energy Defender... I don't know why I bothered with making EB work especially after blaster fiasco, but this definitely wasn't the one to try it again with. Empathy sucked to me. I know that some people love Empathy to death and defend it, I'm not here to advocate for changes to it, just in my opinion Nature is just what Empathy wanted to be but never was. 
  9. Night Widow... It's just a worse version to me of Claws Stalker. Fortunata is way better to me. 
  10. Bane Spider... Oh god no. Just no. I think out of all the VEATs/HEATs this might be the most bottom-tier one I've ever dealt with. The NW version is a lot better and I still prefer Claws Stalker. 
  11. Dark Control/Storm Summoning Controller... Just too chaotic. This is a pylon noob trapper classic. The damage just gets too spread and the actual damage to enemies once the damage is spread is mediocre.

Creatively what are some of the worst possible AT sets I can come up with?

AR/TA Blaster

Mind/Sonic Controller

Sonic/AR Defender

Kinetic Melee/Dark Armor Scrapper

Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker

AR/Dark Armor Sentinel

KM/WP Brute

Savage Melee/Fiery Aura Stalker

Ninjas/TA MM

Ice Control/Savage Dominator

Archery or AR/Sonic Corruptor

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

Creatively what are some of the worst possible AT sets I can come up with?

Ninjas/TA MM

I have a Ninja/TA MM that rips through things after the recent ninja buff.  Have you tried it recently?

Not saying ninjas are OP.  I like to call them cardboard dragons instead of the paper dragons they used to be, but with the updated defense, heals, and critical mechanisms it's been a solid performer for me.

7 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

Archery/TA... Oh I know this is another fan-favorite. I despised it. It hit like a wet noodle and the AoE was just... so mediocre compared to what I thought it would be.

Is this blaster or corruptor?

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Gonna have to go with Bono and Frank Sinatra . . . just bad all around

Also Fire and gasoline . . . volatile

Illusion and Empathy . . . and I have one . . . at level 47 . . . that I play . . . it's like shaving your legs with a cheese grater; you need to shave your legs and you paid for the cheese grater so you have to use it out of principal . . . several times.  After the first flurry of nicks and cuts you say "damn I should probably not use this as it is totally the wrong tool combo" but you totally paid for it and are in denial over its sheer unusability and pain delivery ability so you use it several more times and soon become accustomed to the constant need to wear dark hosiery to hide the many cuts, band-aids and healing wounds on your formerly beautiful legs.  You tell your friends that its actually a close shave; that the cheese grater system really reduces regrowth and what does grow back is finer and far easier to shave.  But its a lie.  You are lying to yourself.  you are a lying liar in the land of denial with scabby hairy legs . . . aka Illusion/Empathy.

• Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

20 hours ago, Zeraphia said:

Blaster, just the damage wasn't there for me.

Samsies. However... I rolled an AR/TA blaster and it's a *lot* of fun. Oil Arrow and Ignite work really well together. Lots of fun AoEs and hits way harder than arrows. 

I want to roll an arrow/arrow corruptor. Thinking that could be a lot of fun.

Also, couldn't agree with you more about Bane Spider. Wanted to love it. Did not. 

On 3/7/2023 at 5:40 PM, luxlorica said:

Mind Control x Anything Controller. I mean Dark isn't great but it will keep you mostly alive. Everything else just makes it more or less easy to run away. And the danger isn't always to your green bar  but to your heart when you watch any other AT walk up to that mob that takes you 15 minutes to beat and slaps it out of that way like a garbage tier trash mob.

Mind Control need some serious thought in this blaster-centric, control does nothing version of the game. I don't even dislike this version of the game, Mind Control just needs to fit into it somewhere rather than being the power-set devs forgot.

My Mind/Poison, which is fun and effective. I've played it on any number of Penny Yin TFs (before and after i27p5) where he's been doing more damage than any other single player on the TF(*1). This is the page 5 version:

Spoiler

Primary Power Set: Mind Control

Secondary Power Set: Poison

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Force of Will

Power Pool: Concealment

Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

------------

Level 1:                 Levitate              

(A) Gladiator's Javelin - Accuracy/Damage/End/Rech: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Javelin - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

Level 1:                 Envenom            

(A) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage: Level 30

(*) Shield Breaker - Defense Debuff: Level 30

(*) Shield Breaker - Accuracy/Defense Debuff: Level 30

(*) Shield Breaker - Defense Debuff/Endurance/Recharge: Level 30

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50

Level 2:                 Dominate           

(A) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure (Accuracy/Damage) Level 53

(*) HamiO:Peroxisome Exposure (Damage/Mezz) Level 53

(*) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

(*) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 30

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative): Level 50

Level 14:              Weaken Resolve            

(A) HamiO:Lysosome Exposure (Accuracy / -Defense / -ToHit) Level  53

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50

Level 6:                 Confuse              

(A) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Contagious Confusion: Level 50

Level 8:                 Mass Hypnosis

(A) Fortunata Hypnosis - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Sleep/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Sleep/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Accuracy/Sleep/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Chance for Placate: Level 50

(*) Call of the Sandman - Chance of Heal Self: Level 50

Level 10:              Boxing 

(A) Gladiator's Strike - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50+5

Level 12:              Mighty Leap      

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points): Level 50

Level 14:              Wall of Force    

(A) HamiO:Centriole Exposure (Damage/Range)Level  53

(*) D-Sync: Guidance (Accuracy/Range) Level 53

(*) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy): Level 50

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage(Fire): Level 50

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 20

Level 16:              Elixir of Life       

(A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All): Level 50

Level 18:              Total Domination           

(A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Mezz/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage: Level 50

Level 20:              Tough  

(A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP: Level 50

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 22:              Terrify 

(*) Bombardment (Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge): Level 50

(*) Glimpse of the Abyss - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

Level 24:              Paralytic Poison              

(A) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 30

(*) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 30

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 50

(*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

Level 26:              Mass Confusion              

(A) Cacophany - Chance of Damage(Energy): Level 30

(*) Malaise's Illusions - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - RechargeTime/Energy Font: Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance: Level 50

Level 28:              Weave

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed: Level 50

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage: Level 50

(*) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All): Level 50

(*) Shield Wall - Defense: Level 50+5

(*) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 30:              Poison Trap       

(A) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Hold/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Endurance/Hold: Level 50+5

Level 32:              Alkaloid              

(A) Preventive Medicine - %Absorb: Level 50

Level 35:              Power Blast       

(A) Apocalypse - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic): Level 50

Level 38:              Temp Invulnerability    

(A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%: Level 30

Level 41:              Energy Torrent 

(*) D-Sync: Guidance (Accuracy/Range) Level 53

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 20

Level 44:              Unleash Potential          

Level 47:              Stealth

Level 49:              Maneuvers        

Level 1: Brawl    

(A) Empty

Level 1: Containment    

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide     

(A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint   

(A) Unbounded Leap - +Stealth: Level 50

Level 2: Rest      

(A) Interrupt Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 1: Athletic Run      

Level 2: Swift    

(A) Run Speed IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Health 

(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Miracle - +Recovery: Level 40

Level 2: Hurdle 

(A) Jumping IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Stamina              

(A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End: Level 50

(*)Performance Shifter - Endurance Modification: Level 50

------------

(*1) EDIT: Those TF PUGs were (from memory) generally made up of lower-level characters (not exemplaring down), exemplars with characters who took higher-DPS or AoE powers late in the build, or single-target ATs. It isn't like this guy is a one-man mass-murder squad, it's just that between the confuses, debuffs and AoE he competes.

Edited by tidge
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/7/2023 at 10:40 PM, luxlorica said:

On the other hand a Mind/Storm troller is great as a poltergeist

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Kheldians, both of them.  I've played both to 50 and the shapeshifting thing just isn't worth what you get out of it.  If I want to play a Tanker, I'll play a Tanker.  If I want to play a Blaster, I'll do that.  If I want to play the hybrid human form, Sentinels do that better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:55 AM, Psi-Blast said:

Kheldians, both of them.  I've played both to 50 and the shapeshifting thing just isn't worth what you get out of it.  If I want to play a Tanker, I'll play a Tanker.  If I want to play a Blaster, I'll do that.  If I want to play the hybrid human form, Sentinels do that better.

What if you want to play a character that can do all three when needed?

• 2 weeks later
On 3/20/2023 at 11:25 AM, Marshal_General said:

What if you want to play a character that can do all three when needed?

On live when you had limited slots, that was a very viable reason for playing a Kheldian - I remember when I first started I got 10 slots per server (and realistically only 2 servers to play on since my schoolboy German and French just didn't pass muster) - and we got 2 extra slots when adding CoV to our account.

Now, we just bring what we want because we can