2023 HC Base Contest - Discussion

Romeyn

• Lead Game Master

As an aside, everyone is entitled to an opinion. If this goes well, there will be more contests that will allow for different categories, so no need to try and cram every possible conceivable category into the first contest we've had in almost 3 years. This is to help the new CRs get their feet wet. Let's make it a positive experience for them so they want to continue to do so!

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

• Community Rep

A general word:

Yep. There will be more contests. Differently set up, different categories. How many and how often is up to us, and, of course, participation. However, for every contest, we not only get to put thought into how to set it up, we will have to examine entries carefully, and that's a time commitment, often a huge time commitment, and one we will not skimp on, so there is definitely a limit to the contests we will run.

Not that we won't take suggestions into consideration (especially if you become a judge by winning a contest), but we do already have a pretty good idea of where we're going in the future. You'll just have to wait to find out what's in store, though.

-Dacy

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have thrown my hat into the ring with baby's first theme base because I'm just excited to participate!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Thanks GM Impervium for your quick action here. I feel better knowing Dacy and Easter Bunny will hold a clean contest and invitation unimpeded by any discusssion arising. Reasonable to say they'll have more contestants too.

Monk of Indom

• Thumbs Down 1

The Monkpath is the path of Love and compassion. I invite you to see what's around the next bend. - Monk

2 hours ago, Sun said:

Thanks GM Impervium for your quick action here. I feel better knowing Dacy and Easter Bunny will hold a clean contest and invitation unimpeded by any discusssion arising. Reasonable to say they'll have more contestants too.

Monk of Indom

Man you should just stop posting here. You've been patronizing and rude every post.

Edited by Wravis
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Give me money to draw your characters!

Visit one of the public RP spaces I've made on Everlasting!
Cabin-8752 - Funplex-11364 - Crash-15210 - Law-18824 - Exploreonfoot-20176 - Upside-14574 - Boardwalk-23004 - Gym-25035 - Chicken-25922 - Campus-25500 - Choochoo-28184

• 1 month later

Just want to take the time to say thanks to the Community Reps, judges and all involved in orchestrating this contest.

As a member of PERC on Guardian back on the live servers, we also ran a Base Design contest of which I was a judge.  It taught me a lot not only about the tricks and creativity options out there, but also showed me what it's like to be behind the scenes in running events like this.

Hopefully all participants take into consideration the amount of time and coordination it takes for the panel of judges to pull this off.  It's way bigger than an AP Costume Contest.  Regardless of outcome, your time is appreciated on my end!

PEACE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ty all you base builders showing the potential.  I have gone on a lot of virtual tours and saw many good bases.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• 3 weeks later
On 4/10/2023 at 3:25 PM, starro said:

Ty all you base builders showing the potential.  I have gone on a lot of virtual tours and saw many good bases.  

I agree I also entered the contest with my first base I ever built when I came to HC. I have seen amazing bases I love touring them All of the people who entered should be proud this was a hard contest to Judge and we were just picking the community one on the poll So remember in this case I award all of my felloe a hardy  Well Done! Base Builders of Homecoming!

screenshot_191209-23-46-45.jpg

• Like 1

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page

Community Choice Award Announcement

Darcy Posted this iyesterday

We would like to heartily thank all the participants in the Second Homecoming Base Contest, which was our first as Community Representatives! We also wish to thank all the people who went through the bases; we hope they enjoyed them, and were able to appreciate all of the hard work that went into them.

We, as CRs, had really pictured that, when given the choice between several amazing bases, people would go see them and then pick the one they thought was the best, and vote for it. And sure, tell their friends about the great bases they saw, who'd also go and visit and be amazed, and then go vote.

Well, that wasn't really what it looked like was happening. And we're sad, and trying to make this work in the fairest way possible. We conferred, debated, and discussed this intensely all day. And this is what we finally came up with, as a plan that hopefully does not punish people who had nothing to do with how things have played out, but gives us a bit of a do-over. A fresh start.

So, as to the Community Choice Award, we are aware of concerns about the voting that have been raised. We believe that, whether or not there is actually any problem with the vote that would affect the outcome, there is unfortunately some perception that the outcome has been tainted. Therefore, we would like to offer what we feel and hope will be a satisfactory resolution.

First, we are going to postpone the announcement of the Community Choice winner, because we want to offer the community a chance to confirm their votes. We are offering a chance for people to vote in person. Here is how it will work:

• The 5 bases from the Community Choice voting poll that got the most votes but did not win a category award on Sunday will be selected as the choices for a re-vote.

• CRs and judges will schedule times during which one of them will be at a given base. Dacy will also offer short tours of the bases (without commentary, but will be available for questions).

• There will be a schedule with many opportunities for everyone to visit and vote. The schedule will be posted on the forums and various Discords after the Awards have been announced.

• Visit your favorite base during the time when one of the judges is there.

• You will be given a game global email address that you will send an email to that contains your vote. Please also include the name of your character. Veracor will be in charge of these emails.

• Judges will note the global address of anyone who is visiting, and give them the email address to send their votes to, and CRs will cross check the globals to make sure no one votes more than once.

• Only those votes that match the globals recorded by the judges as being a base visitor, will be counted.

• If, for some reason, you cannot find a time which matches your schedule in which to visit a base and vote, please contact CR Dacy at @Dacy, either in game or on the forums, to arrange a time.

• Votes will be tabulated, and the winner announced on Sunday, May 7, 2023, at 5 PM EST.

In this way, we are not changing any rules, and we are still honoring the voice of the community, but we hope that people will feel more confident in the contest results. We would like to reiterate at this time that this contest is meant to be about the merit of the bases, not any other factor. Please visit and give your honest opinion as a vote for the base that impresses you the most, and disregard anything that is not relevant to that.

Moving forward, any future contests will be significantly different from this one. We've had what you might call a learning experience, and we expect that we will be able to take what we learned this time and improve the experience for all in the future.

It is our deepest desire to see this wonderful community feeling good about the amazing bases we’ve seen and toured, and we are hoping to see support and encouragement for all those who have worked so hard.  Thank you!

Community Representatives
 Dacy      &     Easter Bunny

And the Judging Team

All the bases are on Everlasting

ases up for the re-vote will be the top 5 chosen by the number of votes in the Community Choice poll (that did not win their category). Those bases are:

VAULTLUXE-17647

RAMPAGE-27317

DRYAD-20249

EXPLOREONFOOT-20176

PIRATE-16369

This is a new vote. Please visit and vote. We will be posting a schedule of where and when the bases will be staffed by the judges, soon. Voting will be from Monday through 11:59 PM Saturday, May 6th, with the winner announced on Sunday, May 7.

-Dacy

Thank you for your assistance in this matter

AV

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page

• Community Rep
2 hours ago, SupaFreak said:

When can we expect to see the list of the contest winners (aside from Community Choice)?

Easter Bunny is getting that put together complete with pictures and it should be up sometime later today (Monday).

Dacy

• Thumbs Up 2