Why so long for game evolvement?

josewales

2 hours ago, Paradox Fate said:

This is more about someone from the top making a post in Announcement in this very forum to reassure us that something is being done in the back after all these months. And if that is the case, perhaps offer a tiny glimpse behind the curtain

I can agree with this.  I miss @Jimmy.  He was pretty good at doing just that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Development work never ceases. Even in December when devs are supposed to take a break, many are still working on things. It's not just limited to "when is work for next page happening?". Work on the next page was also being worked on the last page and the pages before it. Development is a parallel process, and once something is ready for testing it will go to closed beta to find major bugs and get a sanity check on the work done so far. Once it's deemed a potential Live candidate, it gets packaged for the next page and goes to open beta to fine tune and confirm whether or not it should go Live.

So what's being worked on now?

New powersets

Revamps

New stories/content

New enhancements

New art

Quality of life changes

Experimental changes

And more...

What will come next page? We shall see. But it's safe to say on any given day, the list I mentioned above will be true. If you need reassurance, hopefully now you have it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

5 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

But Bopper, what if I need a hug AND reassurance?

Let me know, I give those out for free.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

As long as it's not a hug around the neck...

I think something like what Bopper posted above is a good summary.   We're never going to get the complete idea until open beta anyway since there will always be some changes that get rolled back due to a multitude of reasons, and some roll backs during Open.

And the hurdle to get to Closed Beta is tiny, barely an inconvenience, super easy.  I think I had more stuff to fill out on for an early release of <redacted>

And having been in the industry, you don't start with an open beta, you do start with a smaller group and then ramp up.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I can agree with this.  I miss @Jimmy.  He was pretty good at doing just that.

And that's something probably nearly everyone would ask.

Just to see that the top still cares, a "Hey, things been a bit crazy but we still have stuff going, even when it's slower." statement for everyone to see.

If they do not have anything to show and instead ask for patience, then it's fine too. We happily will be patient.

Just ... don't get quiet. That's the worst you can do.

Edited by Paradox Fate

• City Council
16 hours ago, biostem said:

Was it ever stated why the "Official" forums aren't where that stuff is located?  Does Discord offer other tools or features necessary to the work they're doing?

The officially released stuff is posted on the official forums.

If you want sneak previews of what's being worked on, well, you've gotta go looking for it. It's not something we're going to commit to spending time on maintaining a PR presence for, especially since it's often in flux and changing from day to day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Paradox Fate said:

Just ... don't get quiet and linger in selected groups only have access to.

There's nothing selective about it.  No-one's being excluded.  Access isn't restricted to specific people.  There are no secret handshakes.  Beta participants and insiders don't have special hats.  Nothing is being kept quiet unless a special code phrase is spoken.  No rituals, no incantations, no wild naked dances (unfortunately).  The players involved are involved because they asked to be.  If you want to be involved, too, then do it.  You're the one preventing you from information on what's being worked on and/or tested, not the HC team, not the GMs, not the beta testers.  You.

• Thanks 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

24 minutes ago, Number Six said:

The officially released stuff is posted on the official forums.

If you want sneak previews of what's being worked on, well, you've gotta go looking for it. It's not something we're going to commit to spending time on maintaining a PR presence for, especially since it's often in flux and changing from day to day.

Why not jus have everything in 1 place, though, whether that's Discord instead of these forums, so be it?  If the devs are working on something, then, since they're the ones running the show, it's "official".  Are you saying that there's no "PR Presence" on Discord?  Is it just an unmoderated free-for-all over there?  The cynic in me sees this kind of thing and thinks "there's some degree of obfuscation going on"...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Faultline you don't have to justify or explain a damned thing, much less apologize. The fact you and the others even keep the game running? Good on ya.

Even if you update nothing, still... Bravo! Take care of you and yours, we're immensely appreciative of your effort.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's pretty simple folks. If you want to know and be involved in what's going on in Closed Beta, join the testing Discord. If you're fine waiting until Open Beta, feel free to stick to the forums only. It's your choice but you don't get to complain about Closed Beta information not being readily available on the forums if you aren't willing to go easily find it on the Discord. The link's already been posted in this thread; it's right there if you care enough to know what's going on in the continued development of HC.

• Thumbs Up 2

• City Council
2 hours ago, biostem said:

Why not jus have everything in 1 place, though, whether that's Discord instead of these forums, so be it?  If the devs are working on something, then, since they're the ones running the show, it's "official".  Are you saying that there's no "PR Presence" on Discord?  Is it just an unmoderated free-for-all over there?  The cynic in me sees this kind of thing and thinks "there's some degree of obfuscation going on"...

Developers are not running the show. The HC Admin team sets the direction, and while developers in general have pretty free reign to work on what they want to, we sometimes need to steer things one way or the other and have ultimate veto power. Some things that go to alpha testing may not ever see the light of day if they don't work out or don't mesh well with the overall design.

Developers do, however, use Discord internally to coordinate within the team in real time. Since they're using it anyway, it's extremely easy for them to pop over to the testers discord and ask for feedback in specific areas, or even chat about design goals.

It's simultaneously both less and more moderated than the forums. Less in that it's a somewhat more private setting with only those who want to be involved in development being present. As a result there's less day-to-day moderation needed there. The developers can talk more freely there as they don't have to worry as much about their words being misinterpreted or taken out of context - and I'll out-cynic you here by saying there are definitely a number of people who will try to find a way to twist any public statement from an admin, developer, or GM into something to harm Homecoming. It's sad but it is what it is.

By the same token, it's more moderated because people who come only to troll and do not provide any useful feedback (positive or negative is fine if it's constructive) are not welcome there and will be removed. I make no apologies that we provide a healthy working environment for the developers.

Developers are free to post on the forums if they wish, but many feel they have to be more careful about what they say in public and don't do it as often. Take from that what you will.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10
  • Thumbs Up 9