It's best to play over 50

DougGraves

On 3/7/2023 at 10:25 AM, High_Beam said:

I turned 50 in 2019 and absolutely nobody at the party my spouse arranged for me got it when I shouted DING! and challenged them all to run to Atlas Park and level up with Miss Liberty.

Gotta upgrade your PUG-o-friends…..

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Crysis said:

Gotta upgrade your PUG-o-friends…..

Yeah but the cost per friend at Wentworth's is seriously prohibitive.  I suspect market arbitrage not my unwillingness to be flexible and generally strange sense of humor.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 3/6/2023 at 11:27 AM, DougGraves said:

Was on a PuG yesterday.  Everyone was nice and the team worked well together.  Someone said CoH had the best community of any game.

I commented that it was because we are old.

Everyone started posting their age.  I was tied for youngest at 51.  The oldest was 71.

Then we team wiped 3 times while chatting instead of fighting.

and everybody looked at me crazy when I said average COH players age was over 70!

• Game Master

I was 41 when I started playing in 2005. At the end of this month I'll hit 59. The thing I liked most about the game when I started to play was that the average player age was adult. I was always wary of playing online games as I always seemed to be harassed by annoying 12 year olds with foul mouths and camping at the spawn site so you died as soon as you logged in. The fact it was co-op was a new experience, plus the fact the player base was a little older meant the conversations were intelligent and fun. 

Most modern games leave me cold because they are all online and/or PvP and are as shallow as a puddle. AAA games are all failing because they are games as service and it takes three years before they work properly and have enough content to be worthwhile. Hogwarts Legacy is succeeding beyond everyones wildest expectations because it's single player and has an incredible amount of stuff to do. You can lose yourself for days doing whatever you want, and the makers of the AAA games like Anthem and Avengers are shocked Pikachu face that their games failed. We might be a little clunky at times, but our game has so much to do and so much lore compared to most things that followed.

• Like 8
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/11/2023 at 10:23 AM, Astralock said:

It definitely isn't anywhere close to over 70.  Over 40, yes.

Late 500s but I don’t feel a night over 100.   Gotta skew the stats a bit though unless you are truncating the data in one form or another 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Late 500s but I don’t feel a night over 100.   Gotta skew the stats a bit though unless you are truncating the data in one form or another 

always truncate the outliers

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

One of the neat things about having processed oxygen for awhile is that in the information age, I constantly see younger people explaining how they don't like/do like/can't handle/can't do without X because they're too old, and of course I feel the exact opposite about whatever X happens to be.

Edited by Frunobulax

Just now, benchpresser2000 said:

I started playing back in December of 04.  I remember there being some not so kindly people on the servers back then.  Seemed like by the time issue 6 rolled out the herd got thinned a bit.  And the friendlier players stayed.  YMMV.

I'll ding 49 in July.  Can't wait till  I make it to 50.  First AT there.  

11 hours ago, Frunobulax said:

One of the neat things about having processed oxygen for awhile is that in the information age, I constantly see younger people explaining how they don't like/do like/can't handle/can't do without X because they're too old, and of course I feel the exact opposite about whatever X happens to be.

The thought that being "old" equates to "anything over 30" adds an additional laughter line to the collection too.

City of Heroes is one of the few games where if someone says that they're old, they probably are.

• Like 1