Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #19: Super Teams

Good afternoon once again. Today we bring the conversation to Super Teams. Since live there's been a great variety of super teams, especially some of the groups championed by SGs like the Repeat Offenders.

Given the state of the game, how do you feel about super teams? Are there any super team projects that you've been a part of or actively participating in? What's been your experience with them?

I've personally done a few when I had more time to actually play. I used to have a tight knit pvp team that would occasionally try out super teams in our downtime. A couple of our examples were:

• All Radiation Emission toons back before CoV launched because the larger SG we were part of required every member to have a lvl 50 rad for private Hami raids. Stacked AM and debuffs really worked well together, but because we had anchors our communication on Team Speak (before Discord or Vent or Mumble) we would coordinate who we'd use for anchors.
  • All Thermal. We did this group back when CoV came out and with the stacked shields and forges with melt armor and heat exhaustion we found a very potent team.

If I magically could guarantee play time I'd like to do more of a super team that doesn't lock in to a particular powerset but locks into an elemental theme.

As always thanks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0th Power said:

I have a sonic/fire corrupter super-team idea in my head too.  7 corruptors, 1 brute or tank.  Stack the -res toggle on the brute and let loose the fireballs.

I think you mean fire/sonic corruptor. At that amount of res and mez protection, you could just have 1 or 2 of the Corruptors take provoke and stack the auras on them.

5 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I think you mean fire/sonic corruptor. At that amount of res and mez protection, you could just have 1 or 2 of the Corruptors take provoke and stack the auras on them.

i did, was thinking bass ackwards.  Post edited

If you had a defense based melee it could easily be at the def and 90%res cap.  A corruptor would only be at 75%, (right?)

Edited by 0th Power

2 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Given the state of the game, how do you feel about super teams?

I unsure what you mean by "super team".

Is this a team made of supergroup members? or a group of characters that team together at set times to run content?

I ask this as it doesn't seem that you mean "teams" in general once you bring Repeat Offenders into the mix.

This being said, I do game with a few of players, and we game at set times twice a week. Some of the characters are in the same supergroup. It tends to be a closed group though occasionally, we will lead or join a task force, etc.

Are there any super team projects that you've been a part of or actively participating in?

The "super team" that I run with generally starts off with a theme. A couple of characters are made based on that them and start leveling and others join in. When I'm with the group, I tend to participate with the theme in some way or another - aka generally stay in the genre of the team or missions that we will be running that night.

Sometimes these characters will be for a long run, level from 1-50 together.

What's been your experience with them?

I like to alt-jump a lot, so I feel restricted.

[I was a member of the Repeat Offenders. I was part of multiple Repeat Offenders supergroups before I stopped playing about a year before the sunset. I really enjoyed that experience. Having a global channel for the Repeat Offenders also meant that there was a good core of players doing other things when the official supergroups stuff wasn't going on.]

One of the other players will sometimes become burned out on a character during the leveling process because they don't like how it plays and want to switch to something else. I'm always good with alt-jumping, so I'm fine with they picking something else that they want to play if that happens.

I've personally done a few when I had more time to actually play. I used to have a tight knit pvp team that would occasionally try out super teams in our downtime. A couple of our examples were:

Okay.

Now "i think" I am understanding by "superteam".

Yes. As expressed above, I've been on themed "superteams". This could be powerset, genre, or general theme related.

Anime, Ice, Mystic, Robots, Symphony, Tokusatsu (Kheldian), and others....

If I magically could guarantee play time I'd like to do more of a super team that doesn't lock in to a particular powerset but locks into an elemental theme.

Err ... so what would this "elemental theme" be if it didn't lock into set "elemental" power sets?

I'm assuming for it to be "elemental" at least one of the power sets would need to be some kind of "elemental" power sets?

[For example, this "superteam" wouldn't have any archery/traps, dual pistol/martial arts, raygun/super reflexes, super strength/willpower, etc.]

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, 0th Power said:

If you had a defense based melee it could easily be at the def and 90%res cap.  A corruptor would only be at 75%, (right?)

That's correct, something akin to an SR, SD, Stone Armor, or Ice Armor tanker or brute (or an Energy Aura on a brute). Stone, Ice, or Energy Aura might be best suited as they have built in means to heal themselves, but then again at res caps and defense caps healing might be inconsequential.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

so what would this "elemental theme" be if it didn't lock into set "elemental" power sets?

Themed around Dark related powers, but allowing flexibility if someone wanted a darkness armor tanker, a dark armor scrapper, a blend of dark miasma defender/Corruptors with dark mastery etc.

I was actually thinking of @Snarky's idea of trying to keep mag 4 stun on mobs, so I was thinking of a bunch of characters working together that can each stack a source of Oppressive Gloom. It's a way to potentially have a team rolling around with cheap Mag 16 AoE stun auras when stacked together. Which I think would honestly trivialize most content.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Themed around Dark related powers, but allowing flexibility if someone wanted a darkness armor tanker, a dark armor scrapper, a blend of dark miasma defender/Corruptors with dark mastery etc.

I was actually thinking of @Snarky's idea of trying to keep mag 4 stun on mobs, so I was thinking of a bunch of characters working together that can each stack a source of Oppressive Gloom. It's a way to potentially have a team rolling around with cheap Mag 16 AoE stun auras when stacked together. Which I think would honestly trivialize most content.

I ran with the Repeat Offenders Black Ice supergroup for a while before the sunset. 

I don't recall we were focusing on heavy stuns but, between the ice slows and the negative damage, I remember it working well. The team size was small (It was a villain group and I think we were rolling with between 4-6 characters).

A heavy stun focused super team does sound like fun.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, 0th Power said:

There was someone a while back that tried to run a superteam with the confuse aura from ice control. I don’t remember how it worked out.

lol. Yeah, bet that was a little slow on the XP with all the enemies blasting each other.

But maybe the were getting slowed and debuffed enough so that they weren't hitting each other too often and could be picked off with multiple layers of AoE attacks before they "arrested" one another.

Currently, no. And I don't think I've seen any suggested. "All-X" raids/TFs/etc, sure - someone was going through each AT for an all-that-AT ... i think ITF... a while back, probably over a year, but that's the closest.

Live, I had at least one emp in Green Machine, and some friends and I ran quartets of shield users, Khelds and electric blast (everyone having ball lightning with the chance to stun IO in it is useful...)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

9 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Given the state of the game, how do you feel about super teams? Are there any super team projects that you've been a part of or actively participating in?

I prefer to play with myself, and I'm usually not comfortable when people watch.

• Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I've done a number of teams that were or could be considered "superteams" several of which were through RO.  The first of which would be Green Machine.  It established for me what makes a superteam vs a normal team even if said team was incredibly strong as many of RO's SG teams were.  They're designed as an overall whole resulting in specific build requirements for the individual characters.  Must have such and such powers by this specific level and could include specific slotting requirements as well. 

For me there's often a lot of crossover between what is a superteam and what is a themed teamed often to the point where either term could apply to the team.  But one will be much more min-maxed in its net result (superteam) while the other's focus is on maintaining a theme (themed team) and any min-max is merely the result of what naturally tends to happen if you put 8 support ATs together.  8 Defenders or Corruptors, etc. are going to bring a lot of pain even if it is a one time coming together and not a weekly superteam event.  In fact I'd argue that the strongest team I've been a part of was not designed as a superteam but merely a happy teaming of 7 Defenders and 1 Controller.  Never seen so many light blue or silly high numbers in combat attributes before or since and that team was in the very early days of IOs.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I ran with the Repeat Offenders Black Ice supergroup for a while before the sunset. 

I don't recall we were focusing on heavy stuns but, between the ice slows and the negative damage, I remember it working well. The team size was small (It was a villain group and I think we were rolling with between 4-6 characters).

I was in that group with my Dark/Cold corruptor.

On HC I've done quite a few themed ITF runs (all controller, all mastermind, all defender, all fire, all plant, etc.), as well as several loosely-themed weekly SG teams (all elemental, all corruptor). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

The Girls of Nukem High (Excelsior) periodically run all Illusion Controller Team/League of just Nukems (we all have one for this) that we use to go out to Monster Island up north in Peregrine, kill a bunch then pull a pile to PI for others players to take down (we warn the zone well ahead of time and don't drag them to Portal Corps, we aren't griefers).  But what's fun is when we are prepping in Atlas, like 12-15 of us and then we all cast Phantom Army mirrored as us and its like fifty school girls hanging out, its fun, funny and a little unsettling.  Last time we did it was like 2 Sunday's ago.

One of us!

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 2 weeks later

My first ever SG experience back on live was also my first ever try at RP when I joined a new RPSG concept group on union called the Militia. The idea was for everyone to create a new character at 0 XP and then to only level together in weekly sessions of base/mission/social RP. I used one of my fictional characters Meriam Keser, the Masked Angel, and it was tremendous fun. I particularly remember fondly a session where Meriam contracted the Vahzilok disease and everyone was trying to help her get well. Later, when the Asian faces became available, I created another fictional character Lady Cobra as a new Militia member, and she formed many great in-game relations and has been my main ever since.

For me the ability to bring a story character to life and to interact with other players and not just be able to control everything that happens like you (mostly) do in a written story (even if the characters and plot sometimes seem to take control and move you in unexpected directions) was an amazingly immersive experience and something I have enjoyed ever since.

Another good live RPSG experience was with a group called the Silent Tempest that also had a weekly scheduled RP and mission session. As per my usual modus operandi, I created some fictional characters for this, including Shadowwoman (Marisol Hidalgo) who became my first ever 50 tanker.

There were two similar villain RPSG concepts that also had weekly sessions and were a lot of fun.

On HC I have just created SGs for my many alts to be in and the White Cobra Society and the White Cobra Cabal are both full. Currently I have to place them in my VG created to represent Lady Cobra’s archnemesis, the  ruthless crime syndicate called Ngo Damh.

Apologies for the late post on this topic, but I have just emerged from a longish hospital spell and am finally able to catch up a bit. Hopefully I will be able to start playing again as well soon J

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I recommend "all kin Yins" (this includes the buff set, kin melee, and energy aura) for those who like things moving quicker than their brains can process, limitless end, and really risky teaming as everyone gets cocky until one thing slips through and everyone falls. It is also a really great way to boost up the damage of anyone using Kinetic Melee.

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

On 3/20/2023 at 10:12 AM, Xiddo said:

Can I recommend "all kin Yins" (this includes the buff set, kin melee, and energy aura) for those who like things moving quicker than their brains can process, limitless end, and really risky teaming as everyone gets cocky until one thing slips through and everyone falls. It is also a really great way to boost up the damage of anyone using Kinetic Melee.

if we're going theme for specific TF, I need to add Planticore.  I had the idea and it took root and really started growing.

• Haha 2