Cosmetic Fly power

So we have a rocket board and a glowing energy disc thing, it would be cool if we could also get a Sky Skiff and Longbow Chaser. If need be, then maybe even limit them to outdoor maps only. I would say to also have a Arachnos Flier, but they are too big. Instead maybe make the chaser and sky skiffs color tintable?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Communistpenguin said:

So we have a rocket board and a glowing energy disc thing, it would be cool if we could also get a Sky Skiff and Longbow Chaser. If need be, then maybe even limit them to outdoor maps only. I would say to also have a Arachnos Flier, but they are too big. Instead maybe make the chaser and sky skiffs color tintable?

I'm not in favor of this.  Champions Online implemented vehicles, with slottable powers and everything, and it's a huge waste of resources.  I would much rather see more jetpacks and alternative rocket boots added, (perhaps verging on ones with magical effects), or for that matter, a new category of "travel power auras" that enhance what we already have available...

• Like 1

I could see the chaser but the issue with the sky skiff is that it’s pretty open and you can see the dude sitting inside (and who hilariously does a quadruple backflip when it explodes). Funny enough, the Longbow chaser is so small average sized characters should not logically fit inside, this is glaringly obvious when you compare a chaser to a skiff. (Also gives me the headcanon longbow chasers are drones)

12 minutes ago, Sakura Tenshi said:

I could see the chaser but the issue with the sky skiff is that it’s pretty open and you can see the dude sitting inside (and who hilariously does a quadruple backflip when it explodes). Funny enough, the Longbow chaser is so small average sized characters should not logically fit inside, this is glaringly obvious when you compare a chaser to a skiff. (Also gives me the headcanon longbow chasers are drones)

The Chasers are described as being cheaper and easier to make than the Skiffs, so maybe they are drones? Trying to miniaturize aircraft isn't exactly cheap. And using cheaper materials including junk, which I believe was part of the Longbow Chaser's description, precludes it being an effective piloted platform.

Entertaining head canon aside, I have to say I am against this too. Specifically for the limiting them to outdoor maps only. I can't say for certain in CoX, but in CO, all instanced maps were "indoor" maps even when flagged as outdoor maps. So you could never use your vehicles on the large outdoor instance maps. That said, maybe a compromise approach would work? A derivative platform that may be similar to the Sky Skiff but is not the Sky Skiff so it works for player models and can be used on indoor maps? Like a hover pod or something? I don't want to trash the OP. The OP itself is a fun idea. It just may not be implementable as proposed.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add italicization and correct spelling of "believe".

Okay, so headcanons and all that aside: if this is meant to just be a 'form shift' travel power like the Panther, Void Skiff, etc. There's really no harm in allowing for it besides, as I mentioned earlier, the trouble with the Sky Skiff exposing the user and not being compatible with player models in that way. If it's only utility is just flying you wouldn't even need to limit it to outdoor maps/areas.

Now if you were talking about flier vehicles? Then we'd run into all kinds of other issues and I'd have to say "maybe let's focus priorities elsewhere first."

As a cosmetic form shift only "prestige" or even temp power, I don't personally see the harm in the idea in general. I have really enjoyed the "rocket surf board" power and and use it frequently for characters who don't otherwise have an inherent travel power. Same with the Longbow jetpack you can buy (just buy a couple of hours use of it every couple of months or so). 

(Personally, I really LIKED the APPEARANCE of some of the vehicles in Champions Online. I just didn't like them AS A SET OF POWERS and as a COMBAT option. I almost never used them that way because I hated that aspect. But as a flashy way to get around? Sure!)

The only potential issue I could see is - for some of the larger options like the Longbow Jets or Arachnos fliers, maybe limit their ability to interact or intersect with the ground. This is due to clipping issues and sightlines. 
That is to say - ever notice how the existing versions do NOT come closer to the ground than the head height of the tallest possible character model that could be standing beneath them? Limit any such cosmetic vehicle to THAT height above the ground. Don't let them come closer. You could even have a bit of fun with it and have any character using such a power do a fancy "superhero landing" ("that's hard on the knees!") after dropping the last few feet from said vehicle. 

Also - for those type of larger cosmetic vehicles - I would add the suggestion of adding in a small delay to the summons. Doesn't have to be TOO much. But say - make it like the current costume change delay. Once you dismiss one and exit it - you can't re-summon one for at least 15 seconds. 

18 hours ago, Communistpenguin said:

i feel like the fly pose's could be handled under power customization. make like a "fly stance" option.

This, please. The default Fly and Hover, at least, but also probably the ;flyposeX emote series, as well as maybe ;lotus and ;stancevillain2 (the latter feels especially made for Hover, doesn't it? I would love to float around in ;stancevillain2, doing my best Frieza impression.)

Edited by Aida LaCanthe