Most underrated power sets in game

On 3/22/2023 at 1:27 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I love poison as a concept and a power set but I do struggle to play it. I find it doesn't match my play style well and while I try and get up close and personal with those toons that have it, some definitely work better than others.

It definitely could use a alternative animation set that doesn't involve spitting on people, and instead using vials with (dyeable!) content you throw at them.

On 3/31/2023 at 8:57 PM, Krogoth said:

In the same vein: Traps.

-   It can feel slow on fast moving teams, but as soon as something starts to slow the team down Traps will crack it.

-   The full suite of debuffs, status protection and defense buff.

-   An alpha strike absorber in Seeker Drones.

-   And its party trick: With high recharge in a drawn out fight it will put out more -resist than any other set.

Traps are in need of a speed up in their cast times in their Poison Traps, Trip Mines and Time bombs.

As a reference:

Traps:

Poison Trap - Cast Time: 2.77s

Trip Mine - Cast Time: 5.0s

Time Bomb - Cast Time: 9.0s(!), explodes automatically after 15 seconds.

Devices:

Trip Mine - Cast Time: 2.77

Both do the same damage and knockback upon explosion, but you are nearly twice as long locked in the animation on Traps than you are on Devices. 

Poison:

Poison Trap: - Cast Time: 1.0s(!)

So for a powerset that specializes rigging the place up and provide area denial, you are the slowest of them all.

(I also think Time Bomb should be remade into a Remote Detonation version, while Triage Beacon should have its cooldown and duration reduced while providing a much stronger +Regen%, but that's for another story.)

Edited by Paradox Fate

On 4/6/2023 at 3:35 AM, Paradox Fate said:

Traps are in need of a speed up in their cast times in their Poison Traps, Trip Mines and Time bombs.

As a reference:

Traps:

Poison Trap - Cast Time: 2.77s

Trip Mine - Cast Time: 5.0s

Time Bomb - Cast Time: 9.0s(!), explodes automatically after 15 seconds.

Devices:

Trip Mine - Cast Time: 2.77

Both do the same damage and knockback upon explosion, but you are nearly twice as long locked in the animation on Traps than you are on Devices. 

Poison:

Poison Trap: - Cast Time: 1.0s(!)

So for a powerset that specializes rigging the place up and provide area denial, you are the slowest of them all.

(I also think Time Bomb should be remade into a Remote Detonation version, while Triage Beacon should have its cooldown and duration reduced while providing a much stronger +Regen%, but that's for another story.)

Well Poison: Poison Trap and Traps: Poison Trap are rather different powers. Poison's is a hold that works as a proc monster, Traps is a -regen power that can hold (and I think most people don't realize that the 10s duration listed in the power info in game is 10s per tick of the AoE that lasts for 30s)

I can't really argue with Trip Mine getting a Cast Time reduction.

And Time Bomb has always been the worst power in the set by a wide margin, I have always skipped it and probably will always skip it.

Edited by Krogoth

I felt for a very long time that many T9 powers were sub par. It seemed, especially in the early days, that the Devs had this idea of a massive nuke that would devastate the enemy but leave the caster exhausted - but in practice it never worked like that - it left players knackered but the enemy was still viable. For a long time I rarely took a lot of high damage T9s... they simply were not worth the energy and endurance cost but thankfully thing are much improved these days

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I'm currently slow-levelling a Peacerbringer and, baby, the experience is smooth. Nova has AoE that keeps on giving. Dwarf is more durable than some tankers at equivalent levels. 

They do struggle at endgame because they don't fit any one niche really well, but they are very capable in the early-mid game. They also have their own story arc chain from 5 to 50 that is... better than I expected it to be. 

• Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I'm convinced that people just really don't understand regeneration. Is it great? No. Is it bad? Not at all. Due to set io bonuses primarily being defense and resistant based on top of easily being able to stack tough, weave, maneuvers, combat jumping and maybe hover, regeneration can reach staggering amounts of resistance and defense on top of its ludicrous healing.

Again, it's not a great set and struggles due to being too one dimensional on top of a lot of its powers feel... outdated but i have struggled to find a way to balance regen without completely breaking it when you consider set bonuses on top of its primary function.

Also, can we PLEASE get regen on tankers?

Edited by Yaliw
Formating on mobile is broken

33 minutes ago, Yaliw said:

I'm convinced that people just really don't understand regeneration. Is it great? No. Is it bad? Not at all. Due to set io bonuses primarily being defense and resistant based on top of easily being able to stack tough, weave, maneuvers, combat jumping and maybe hover, regeneration can reach staggering amounts of resistance and defense on top of its ludicrous healing.

Again, it's not a great set and struggles due to being too one dimensional on top of a lot of its powers feel... outdated but i have struggled to find a way to balance regen without completely breaking it when you consider set bonuses on top of its primary function.

Also, can we PLEASE get regen on tankers?

You're saying the set is good when you factor everything outside of the set into it... That's not my definition of good.

Energy Aura and Ninjitsu tankers before Regen tankers!

What this team needs is more Defenders

10 hours ago, Psyonico said:

You're saying the set is good when you factor everything outside of the set into it... That's not my definition of good.

Energy Aura and Ninjitsu tankers before Regen tankers!

The game isn't played in a vacuum so yes, I factor other things into the set.

Also yes, ninjitsu and energy aura as well for tankers.

I'm guessing there is a fairly solid argument for suggesting that the underrated power set is the guy that you expected to faceplant but kept going, while you're lying there wishing somebody would give you a wakie.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:04 PM, SaintD said:

Psi Melee ignores damn near every resistance in the game, while robots with the res to psi tend to be filler mobs who don't feel any worse to deal with than.....damn near everything resisting your smash/lethal battleaxe or whatever.

Psi Melee is cool, but I have a hard time playing it because the animations are so dull. They don't feel very dynamic.

On 4/13/2023 at 7:58 PM, Yaliw said:

I'm convinced that people just really don't understand regeneration. Is it great? No. Is it bad? Not at all.

I shied away from Regen for a long time because from when the game was originally live to now, I have most heard bitching and complaining about how it was nerfed, it's no good, etc. I had a character for whom it was thematically appropriate, however, so I tried it out. Not only did I find it perfectly functional, I actively enjoyed it. 

Later, I created a Sentinel for whom it was also thematically appropriate and found it to be perhaps even better on that AT.

I'm sure it could be adjusted and modernized, but I currently have no issue with it whatsoever.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, Arnabas said:

Psi Melee is cool, but I have a hard time playing it because the animations are so dull. They don't feel very dynamic.

I think a lot of the weapon powersets need some love as they are janky and or dull

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?