Complete Do Over

hakurr

You don't need a large team to see if the support character is going to be fun. Find a player or two to run with you on the test server. Are you having fun supporting them? If yes, then odds are you will still have fun supporting a large team or even a league. If no, then odds are you won't still have fun supporting a large team or league. Sampling works.

Edit: Sure, having larger teams is better for testing, but there is not much difference in supporting teams regardless of size in my experience.

Edited by Rudra

37 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

How does one test a support character when there aren't a sufficient number of people to form a large team and who are willing to run extended missions with you?

Plenty of missions with NPCs who fold without a player either tanking or providing copious support.  This mission, for example.  If you can keep Lady Grey alive at a higher difficulty setting, it's indicative of the ability to do well on a team.

Or you could ask friends to give you a few minutes of their time on the test server.  That is what friends are for, isn't it?

44 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Either way I don't think it's something most people are going (or should have) to do before making a new character.

No-one's said anyone should have to go to the test server before creating a character.  What's been said is that the tool is there if there's doubt that the character will be enjoyable at level X.  If someone wants to know if Thing/Stuff is fun at 50+ without the hassle of leveling all the way to 50+ to find out, the test server is right there.

If someone levels Thing/Stuff to 50+ and spends the entire time regretting it, that's on them.  If someone levels Thing/Stuff to 50+ and decides it's not quite what they want, that's also on them.  They're not entitled to, owed, or deserving of anything simply for having stuck it out or changed their mind.  They chose to do that, they need to live with that choice.  Asking for a full set/set or archetype respec is asking to be absolved of responsibility for the choices they made.  I'm vehemently opposed to that, especially in a game.  We should always be held accountable for the decisions we make, always have to deal with the consequences of our actions, and most definitely the ones which come back and bite us on the ass, because that's opportunity for growth.  We make mistakes, we learn from them, we become smarter, wiser and more capable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

4 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I never said it was a need. All I said is that I didn't understand why people were against it because none of the options offered were a viable fix for the problem presented. It's like arguing we shouldn't have respecs of any kind. I mean, with 1000 slots you can just remake a character from scratch if you have a build you don't like, right? Or hop on the test server and make them there to ensure you get it right before making them on live. So can I assume then you're in favor of removing respecs altogether? Cause it sounds like you are. I mean, we don't really "need" them, do we? Just make a new character and powerlevel them to 50 with the build you want. Problem solved.

Strawman. (Another one.)  Not even going to bother doing anything but call you out on it.

Edited by Greycat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.