Why DFB is annoying

Xtypething

4 minutes ago, honoroit said:

not gonna presume OP knows:

you can detach the map.  the blue button on the bottom left of it when it's displayed - makes it free floating window.  so you can then make it mini, and give yourself that.

pressing m will make the free floating version vanish and reappear from then on and itll remember across sessions of play.

i get lost all the time, bloody caves and thing are hard to navigate.

Am I the only one that just leaves their map up all the time?  I have it detached and scaled down, sits below my buff bar.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

5 hours ago, Xtypething said:

I take full responsibility for losing track of the team.

You shouldn't.  There were seven other people on that team.  Your responsibility began and ended with informing them that you were unfamiliar with that content.  Everything that happened after that was on them.  They knew the content, they knew you didn't, they failed to provide you with direction and ensure that you were keeping up with them.  They fucked up, not you.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

59 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Am I the only one that just leaves their map up all the time?  I have it detached and scaled down, sits below my buff bar.

Nope! I can't survive without my map up at all times! It's either in the top left or right of my screen, even when I swap from my 20+ inch monitor to my 15" laptop screen. I always get baffled that people don't have theirs up more lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Most of DFB is ridiculously easy to follow  - easier than a normal mission.

But going between floors is not obvious.

And yesterday we had a person who could not figure out how to get back from the hospital.

DiB is even worse.  People don't realize you have to talk to a particular Longbow person to get sent to the next area.

If you're that out of the loop then consider reading the guide in my signature. Everyone else has said all the things that could be said. Welcome back!

Now I will say what is REALLY annoying about DFB! The fact I run it once at double XP and always end at about level 7 and change! The first TF is level 8! Tweak the XP so one DFB is enough to enter the first TF instead of forcing me to go kill some mobs in the AE to ding!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Nope. Mine's always up in the corner, targeting, health/end/etc. moved over to make room.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I play on a 55” tv as a monitor.  I detach the map and have it lower right, lower left is chat.  

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, honoroit said:

red side.

gooderer music,

Perfect. Licence Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Theatre of Hate, Cramps etc and stuff... get some atmosphere going!

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
blah
  • Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

33 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Perfect. Licence Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Theatre of Hate, Cramps etc and stuff... get some atmosphere going!

i still cant find it, but my favorite was the autoplay music on the menu that was on the CoV delixe edition media. it was either a demo disk, or the main thing extras disc... but it had neat sounds...

gone but not forgotten.

redside needs xp buffs.  telling you, they'll move, that day.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I play on a 55” tv as a monitor.  I detach the map and have it lower right, lower left is chat.  

I play on a big monitor too, living room PC centric home entertainment deal. So I have to keep the UI scaling large enough to read chats, which makes it pretty crowded with all the power bars, inspirations and whatnot. I'm still playing around with it though. 20 years ago I played on a monitor right in my face, and my eyes were more youthful, so scaling down the UI was easy. Good ole days...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xtypething said:

I play on a big monitor too, living room PC centric home entertainment deal. So I have to keep the UI scaling large enough to read chats, which makes it pretty crowded with all the power bars, inspirations and whatnot. I'm still playing around with it though. 20 years ago I played on a monitor right in my face, and my eyes were more youthful, so scaling down the UI was easy. Good ole days...

mine is 3 feet in front of me...

26 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Redside is fine.  i still solo it all regularly.  every contact. every arc.  every side mission.

It's okay - Could be better at some spots (certain SF mission maps are just tedious, like the PTS one in Varikoss and the Skyraider Base in Silver Mantis)

5 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Depends what I'm doing. If it's something new or something I want to speed thru I'll keep the map open on the right side of the screen. Or if I'm looking for badges/plaques.

21 minutes ago, Paradox Fate said:

It's okay - Could be better at some spots (certain SF mission maps are just tedious, like the PTS one in Varikoss and the Skyraider Base in Silver Mantis)

a good team (really one or two people that know whats up) can direct the team to targets on varikoss.  i do it all the time.  only issue is when people just decide (why?) to wade into thirty CoT and start AoEing even the surrounding mobs.  like.....did you just shift into stupid and stand on the accelerator?  or did you not need to shift?

The Skyraider base is a challenge.  But it is very doable.  I do okay in there even on a squishy.  Play smart.  THat is what Redside teaches.  

14 hours ago, biostem said:

Is it that hard to just stick with your teammates?  I mean, it's one thing if you have to AFK, then lose track of where everyone is, but for me at least, I tend to put off teaming until I get my sea-legs back, with regard to a game I haven't played in a while...

That's a fair point, and no it's not that hard, but this was a situation where I had been back for a couple weeks, and thought "DFB? Sure." And I was mostly sticking with the group, but found myself alone. And instead of "sorry newb, go to the exit north of you", the guy asked "where are you?" 

Where am I? How can I even answer that? I'm in the last place we both were. Where else could I be?

And the guy dropped me. Before I could figure out how to answer. 

Again, I've done DFB a couple times since then, so I know where to scamper. This was more or less a diatribe about the DFB mentality. "Run zip zoom, follow the group, kill 'em, door, boss,  kill 'em, door, boss..." 

I'm actually thinking about starting an alt just to run DFB missions, so I can ask, "Anyone new to DFB?" And make it a welcoming experience. I probably won't do that, but it's a thought I'm having.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Xtypething said:

And the guy dropped me. Before I could figure out how to answer. 

That's not cool, and people definitely should be more patient.

26 minutes ago, Xtypething said:

I was mostly sticking with the group

So not entirely?  Don't get me wrong, play however you want, but if you're in a team environment and get separated or lost, it is incumbent upon you to use resources like the map to find your way back to the team.  At the same time, a good team leader needs to know how to multitask and offer advice or provide instruction as needed.

28 minutes ago, Xtypething said:

This was more or less a diatribe about the DFB mentality. "Run zip zoom, follow the group, kill 'em, door, boss,  kill 'em, door, boss..." 

The problem as I see it is a clash between mindsets - those rolling up their umpteenth alt and trying to speed them to 50, vs a newly returned player looking to refamiliarize themselves with the game.  I can't really call either right or wrong, though - just in conflict, sometimes.

30 minutes ago, Xtypething said:

I'm actually thinking about starting an alt just to run DFB missions, so I can ask, "Anyone new to DFB?" And make it a welcoming experience. I probably won't do that, but it's a thought I'm having.

It's a neat sentiment, but I think a better resource would be if players were made better aware of the various guides on these forums...

I'm actually thinking about starting an alt just to run DFB missions, so I can ask, "Anyone new to DFB?" And make it a welcoming experience. I probably won't do that, but it's a thought I'm having

thats how decent community happens ^

Edited by honoroit
hm
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

I have never -nor will I ever- participate in DFB.

Seems kinda extreme if you ask me.  No one is saying you have to run it over and over, but the buffs it grants are definitely helpful in the early game, and last up to level 22, so you can take your time with the other content without feeling a need to rush...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

I have never -nor will I ever- participate in DFB.

There's far too much good content, merits, teams, FUN.... To run that ridiculous TF *ad nauseam* to get to 15.

I remember in the early days of HC before DFB was unlocked.  It was glorious.  Hollows, Kings Row, Skyway all having active mission teams even if they were just running radios.

It'd be nice to go back to that instead of "any DFB" in chat ad infinitum.

23 hours ago, honoroit said:

if they had (double) double xp on redside, people would move that day.

The villain side has had access to x2 XP boosters since there has been free P2W access to it.

I'm unsure what you are talking about.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

58 minutes ago, biostem said:

I'd gladly take DFB requests over the incessant "sitter lff"...

That is true.. I suppose it's a question of neither is particularly welcome, but one is probably lesser of the two evils.

I'll admit to being baffled by someone logging in to play a game and then effectively getting someone else to play it for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

No.

I keep mine open at the width of the chat window and about square shaped in the upper left hand corner.

It doesn't make sense to me to play with the map closed.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.