QoL: Sortable Enhancement Tables

If your group is like mine then your base is overflowing with IOs that people have crafted and which might be useful someday.  Alphabetical order is nice but I'd like the option to sort by level and type as well.  I assume this would be relatively simple to do.  Who's with me?

I assume this would be relatively simple to do.

Oh no what have you done

UqE1SsX.jpg

BOOM

Since there is no policy that this forum is for coders only your "replies" are unnecessarily dismissive and a good example of why many people avoid video game forums.

UqE1SsX.jpg

BOOM

Since there is no policy that this forum is for coders only your "replies" are unnecessarily dismissive and a good example of why many people avoid video game forums.

I don't think he was being dismissive...It comes across that way, but PK loves to slap that flowchart in every time someone suggests something is easy to change.  More of a community "in-joke", but sometimes he will also then +1 the idea...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Yup, exactly. I don't have an opinion on this, it's not something I care about, so I will neither /JRanger nor +1 it. However, if anyone EVER says that something in code "should be easy" in ANY way, I'll be RIGHT THERE to slap this sucker right down.

I'm out.

If your group is like mine then your base is overflowing with IOs that people have crafted and which might be useful someday.  Alphabetical order is nice but I'd like the option to sort by level and type as well.  I assume this would be relatively simple to do.  Who's with me?

For highly active groups, maybe, but now that bases are free there are Many solo (storage only bases) that may not have the luxury of such an overflow (yet). The ONLY reason I don't think this'll get traction though TBH is that we're not likely to get an increase in base storage and that's the Only way I can see this being very helpful of a thing to add.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

It is a nice feature to have; however, it's grossly dependent on _how_ the list of enhancements in storage are a) stored, and b) retrieved. At the rock-bottom simplicity end, which is very unlikely to be the case, it's altering one SQL query to add 'ORDER BY' clauses. More likely, using the admission by the GMs that adding AH functionality while in your base would require loading the whole auction house database into the data structures for the base, the items in storage are loaded into memory when you enter the base, which means that the enhancements in storage are already in a data structure than may not be amenable to being sorted. I can think of at least four different ways that it could be done, and they all have annoying aspects to them, particularly as they would more readily be done client-side, since there could be several people in a base all looking at enhancements, and all sorting them differently. This adds complexity, as you would need to ensure that there are additional checking to ensure consistency. And the problem balloons when all of this has to tie back into the existing code. So, yes, it can be a relatively simple problem, but given that CoH is 8+ years of accreting spaghetti code, it's unlikely to be.

It is a nice feature to have; however, it's grossly dependent on _how_ the list of enhancements in storage are a) stored, and b) retrieved. At the rock-bottom simplicity end, which is very unlikely to be the case, it's 9altering one SQL query to add 'ORDER BY' clauses. More likely, using the admission by the GMs that adding AH functionality while in your base would require loading the whole auction house database into the data structures for the base, the items in storage are loaded into memory when you enter the base, which means that the enhancements in storage are already in a data structure than may not be amenable to being sorted. I can think of at least four different ways that it could be done, and they all have annoying aspects to them, particularly as they would more readily be done client-side, since there could be several people in a base all looking at enhancements, and all sorting them differently. This adds complexity, as you would need to ensure that there are additional checking to ensure consistency. And the problem balloons when all of this has to tie back into the existing code. So, yes, it can be a relatively simple problem, but given that CoH is 8+ years of accreting spaghetti code, it's unlikely to be.

Thank you. I was hoping it would just be a matter of tables but you may well be right.

Given the complaint that someone else made about how the salvage in a salvage rack changed order when they were pulling salvage out of the rack, it suggests that the actual database storage of a salvage rack is an array of records with the ID of the rack and the ID of the salvage item in the order in which they were put into the rack, and they get rolled up under the first record of each item of salvage when displayed, with the first matching item in the array being removed when you take an item, then the list being reloaded. So if you put in a Simple Chemical, then a Luck Charm, and did it again four more times, alternating, you'd see 5 Simple Chemical then 5 Luck Charm, and if you took out a Simple Chemical, the rack would display 5 Luck Charm then 4 Simple Chemical, because the first Luck Charm you put in is now at the 'top' of the list.

Given all the ways it could have been done, it's likely not the way it's actually implemented, but it's one possible way, and illustrates how seemingly unrelated design choices can affect what you see in the game.