Pets die to fast

Spectre7878

20 hours ago, Xandyr said:

I don't have PB, and you can see that I have my Necro pets at 45.05% Defense.

Time to change my slotting! Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later
On 3/30/2023 at 4:03 AM, Gobbledigook said:

A +2 mob is singular. What i am saying is the single target dps of the pets on a +2 mob i tested was not very impressive compared to other similarly built AT's. The AoE damage is near non existent from what i am seeing. I am not saying the pet damage is bad on a single target, i just feel the AoE is pretty bad.

I find that the many drawbacks of being a MM is not actually worth playing them yet, for me anyway. I feel they need more work, irrelevant of what other players feel about them. The most effective part of the MM is the secondary.

I think i will just stick with a defender or Corruptor for support as the MM is just not for me. They do more AoE damage, can have better buffs/debuffs and take far less work/maintenance. A controller is also a good support in buffing/debuffing and locking whole groups down. I just don't get what the MM brings.

Thanks for the lesson on how to play though. Awesome advice.

This is you and your build, chief. Many have dropped AV's and GM's with less effort or more effort than other AT's. 

just as with the other AT's, MM's have primaries and secondaries that are not that great, and combos that don't mesh. Beasts for example is the worst performing MM primary so if you are shooting for a THEME, then understand that just like any other AT you may have to make sacrifices to go for a THEME over POWER.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JupiterMoon said:

This is you and your build, chief. Many have dropped AV's and GM's with less effort or more effort than other AT's. 

just as with the other AT's, MM's have primaries and secondaries that are not that great, and combos that don't mesh. Beasts for example is the worst performing MM primary so if you are shooting for a THEME, then understand that just like any other AT you may have to make sacrifices to go for a THEME over POWER.

Soloing an AV/GM is probably ok with a MM but i never mentioned them at all. That has nothing to do with the issues i had with MM's and has nothing to do with Builds, considering the game is supposed to be balanced around SO's. Thanks though Chief.

11 hours ago, Gobbledigook said:

Soloing an AV/GM is probably ok with a MM but i never mentioned them at all. That has nothing to do with the issues i had with MM's and has nothing to do with Builds, considering the game is supposed to be balanced around SO's. Thanks though Chief.

The only part of the game balanced around SO's is anything pre CoV and inventions. That's not actually a lot of content as CoV came out 18 months after CoH's initial release. 

and in those 18 months the devs really went out of their way to make some cheap villain groups to prevent powerful heroes from feeling powerful - like carnies, when invuln scrappers were ruling the world. 

Every single AT in this game has a glaring hole in it's defenses. there is no single powerset combo on any AT in this game that can take on ALL villain groups without issue. The closest i came was demons/thermal but was still limited to running at best +3 maria jenkins which throws nearly every villain group at you. I was able to complete that arc without losing a single pet but it was touch and go and +4 was impossible. There are villain groups that can floor your defenses with just 3 minions. There are villain groups that will floor your accuracy with just 2 minions. There are villain groups that will automatically kill ALL of your henchmen in a single psychic tornado because it's a cheap ass auto hit power. If the game did not have incarnates and auto-win lore pets there would be a lot more screaming on the forums about how much BS there is in the late game villain groups. 

Edited by JupiterMoon
  • Thumbs Down 2

On 3/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, kelika2 said:

TLDR you need to get your gets to 45% def either through raw defense stacking or -tohit debuffing

Softcapped pets are happy pets.  There is nothing better for you as a mastermind to do than getting your pets softcapped however the hell it is possible.

/radiation has some very small ass radius on their debuffs.  I believe it is only 15ft.  and if i am right on how i think radiuseses work, thats melee range all around your anchor.  7.5ft in all directions.  check other radius from other sets to see how small radiations range is.  dark and trick arrow are worth noting

Some masterminds require expensive builds and level 50 with a firefarming account powering you to max level.  Cytoskeleton hamis in Enforcers can bump them up to 20-24% def to all.  thug-cold/trap/dark/etc shines super hard when your enforcers are giving off a ton of defense working with your buffs or debuffs.  on the flip side, if you go thug/ff you will be way over defense softcap and no snare/slow pit.  every single one of the combos you listed do not synergize well.

Forget necro as whole or get some thicker skin while playing it.  i tried necro/ff, necro/dark, necro/thermal and /ff only really works because of mace mastery's power boost bringing them to defense softcap.  necros innate resists are rare damage types leveling up and hard to synergize with any secondary.  i had to adopt team teleport on my necro/dark to really move that dark servant around with its gigantic -tohit aura.  teleport target is also a thing for the servant

beast/nature reroll into beast/cold.  adopt a tundra like avatar and go with it.  beasts innate defenses with iceshields+fog+maneuvers is good times.

thugs you have so many things to work with here.  thug/trick arrow to keep up the natural crap while still having flash arrow at level 1, glue arrow at 2 and the fabled oil slick arrow.  thug/traps, thug/dark.  i can go on but i already typed too much

45% def all alone is still not enough for many villain groups. so many can drop that defense to 0 either by debuffs or with cheap auto-hit aoe's. 

which is the most frustrating part for me in this game and has been for almost 20 years. there is no powerset combo in this game that can survive all villain groups. 

15 hours ago, JupiterMoon said:

This is fantastic. I always like seeing group travel powers expertly utilized on MM. Also, great use control of pets... good video with lots of tips on a combo you rarely see anyone post about. *hand clap*

15 minutes ago, tjknight said:

This is fantastic. I always like seeing group travel powers expertly utilized on MM. Also, great use control of pets... good video with lots of tips on a combo you rarely see anyone post about. *hand clap*

there are not many people uploading CoH content and those that do mostly have potato computers. This was the only one i could find (JupiterMoon is me i was logged in on the wrong account)

radiation is not exactly the meta combo for mercs, he likely would have had the same results with just about any secondary on this guy. the fact that mercs stay at range and have very long range is what made this work (and the fact that the GM doesn't fly or have many ranged abilities). 

13 hours ago, JupiterMoon said:

The only part of the game balanced around SO's is anything pre CoV and inventions. That's not actually a lot of content as CoV came out 18 months after CoH's initial release. 

and in those 18 months the devs really went out of their way to make some cheap villain groups to prevent powerful heroes from feeling powerful - like carnies, when invuln scrappers were ruling the world. 

Every single AT in this game has a glaring hole in it's defenses. there is no single powerset combo on any AT in this game that can take on ALL villain groups without issue. The closest i came was demons/thermal but was still limited to running at best +3 maria jenkins which throws nearly every villain group at you. I was able to complete that arc without losing a single pet but it was touch and go and +4 was impossible. There are villain groups that can floor your defenses with just 3 minions. There are villain groups that will floor your accuracy with just 2 minions. There are villain groups that will automatically kill ALL of your henchmen in a single psychic tornado because it's a cheap ass auto hit power. If the game did not have incarnates and auto-win lore pets there would be a lot more screaming on the forums about how much BS there is in the late game villain groups. 

Pets are still slow to catch up, clunky (getting stuck etc), takes lots of managing and it can be annoying resummoning them if you don't play a defensive secondary. That is why i don't like the MM. I have characters that will leave the MM in the dust and so i choose to play them instead. 

Not really to do with with what they can solo so much.

I like the idea of the MM pet class but i don't feel it works as well as i would like.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dixa said:

there are not many people uploading CoH content and those that do mostly have potato computers.

I have a potato computer! Been using the same comp since 2003. If I could mod my Atari 600 to play CoH, I totally would.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gobbledigook said:

Pets are still slow to catch up, clunky (getting stuck etc), takes lots of managing and it can be annoying resummoning them if you don't play a defensive secondary. That is why i don't like the MM. I have characters that will leave the MM in the dust and so i choose to play them instead. 

I like the idea of the MM pet class but i don't feel it works as well as i would like.

team teleport solves the catch up problem. as it's the fastest travel power i've always used teleport on all of my characters since the original game launched. 

this AT however is the most punished for all of the non-positional, auto hit aoe's at endgame though. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later
On 4/4/2023 at 1:09 AM, tjknight said:

So nobody's using combat teleport or slotting the upgrade powers?

If you're playing /Time without combat teleport you're just doing it wrong. Be 50-60ft away from pack, pets on bodyguard, then combat teleport in and use Distortion Field. Time's Juncture debuffs the mobs ToHit immediately as you land, So you just tank the alpha strike and put your slow field down.

After than you do the usual. But that opener is so effective. Also you can just use Combat Teleport as a mule for Zephyr - Knockback Protection.

8 hours ago, Raikao said:

If you're playing /Time without combat teleport you're just doing it wrong. Be 50-60ft away from pack, pets on bodyguard, then combat teleport in and use Distortion Field. Time's Juncture debuffs the mobs ToHit immediately as you land, So you just tank the alpha strike and put your slow field down.

After than you do the usual. But that opener is so effective. Also you can just use Combat Teleport as a mule for Zephyr - Knockback Protection.

*agrees* The revamped teleport pool is greatly underestimated. 

Edited by tjknight

On 5/9/2023 at 2:43 PM, Gobbledigook said:

We get it, you don't like MMs.

This whole threads comes across as you trying to get people to just agree with you so you can feel better about it. Not going to happen. I'm over here on my MM having fun. It's the best solo AT in the game.

It's perfectly ok for you to not like it and play something else. But don't expect people to affirm your viewpoint that it "just sucks". That's really how this entire thread comes across and it's just weird.

You seem super focused on very specific types onf content, where you had bad experiences playing MM. So play different content? Play a different AT? I'm not playing MM to do +4/x8 farms. I can just use a Fire/Spines Brute for that.

Want to control mobs and play in a team? Controller is probably a better choice. Like it just depends on what content you're doing and how you want to play.

But if you just want to play the game, chill out and do radio missions / contacts, kill ATs or Monsters, farm badges, do Oro etc. I just think a Mastermind works great for that since you can build them so flexible.

On my current one I can even stealth through missions, summon some bots, kill the target and port out. It's almost as fast as playing Stalker.

I can put a mission on +1/x8 and blast hords of mobs. It's almost as fast as playing a Brute with AoE focus.

If someone needs help I can join their team and play healer for just them since I'm /time. It's almost as good as playing a Defender specced to full heal/support.

If someone needs mobs debuffed since they're having a hard time otherwise. Well geez it's almost as good as a Controller.

It does everything. That's the point. It rewards you for invested time and infamy more than any other AT in the game in my opinion. I play on EU, the server and this game are basically "dead" I don't get to do Task Forces or whatever. So I sure am glad I have a solo friendly option. Playing a Blaster would just be miserable for me.

And playing a MM is miserable to you and that's ok.

16 hours ago, Raikao said:

We get it, you don't like MMs.

This whole threads comes across as you trying to get people to just agree with you so you can feel better about it. Not going to happen. I'm over here on my MM having fun. It's the best solo AT in the game.

It's perfectly ok for you to not like it and play something else. But don't expect people to affirm your viewpoint that it "just sucks". That's really how this entire thread comes across and it's just weird.

You seem super focused on very specific types onf content, where you had bad experiences playing MM. So play different content? Play a different AT? I'm not playing MM to do +4/x8 farms. I can just use a Fire/Spines Brute for that.

Want to control mobs and play in a team? Controller is probably a better choice. Like it just depends on what content you're doing and how you want to play.

But if you just want to play the game, chill out and do radio missions / contacts, kill ATs or Monsters, farm badges, do Oro etc. I just think a Mastermind works great for that since you can build them so flexible.

On my current one I can even stealth through missions, summon some bots, kill the target and port out. It's almost as fast as playing Stalker.

I can put a mission on +1/x8 and blast hords of mobs. It's almost as fast as playing a Brute with AoE focus.

If someone needs help I can join their team and play healer for just them since I'm /time. It's almost as good as playing a Defender specced to full heal/support.

If someone needs mobs debuffed since they're having a hard time otherwise. Well geez it's almost as good as a Controller.

It does everything. That's the point. It rewards you for invested time and infamy more than any other AT in the game in my opinion. I play on EU, the server and this game are basically "dead" I don't get to do Task Forces or whatever. So I sure am glad I have a solo friendly option. Playing a Blaster would just be miserable for me.

And playing a MM is miserable to you and that's ok.

Lol you sure see a lot in that old post. 

Have fun 😊