Focused Feedback: Storm Blast

Are Devs open to the idea of changing the name of Category 5?  There are a lot of words for violent storms that evoke imagery vividly and I don't feel Category 5 accomplishes that same imagery very well.

Tempest, Typhoon, Nor'easter, Monsoon, Torrential Downpour, I find that any of these immediately inspire more power and command than Category 5.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

It depends on the weakness of the foes you are fighting.

I'm not sure that is the case.

However, I tend to use the ammo thematically based on character creation, so I really like the ability to be able pick the type of ammo my character is using.

Technically it doesn't actually increase the damage, all it does is bring it back to where it originally was by ignoring the enemy resistance type.

It most definitely is the case as well. For actual damage I always end up skipping swap ammo. The extra fire dot is the only thing that actually ADDS damage using it, but it's very minor. And in most cases isn't enough of a tradeoff for losing all the knockback (or kd with kb-kd obviously)

The only time I take it is where the -damage is part of what I'm going for, mostly on defenders. The -rech on cryo is just super terribly low.

I'm all for it adding thematic reasons for people to enjoy, but the power itself definitely needs a boost.

6 minutes ago, akumamishima said:

Are Devs open to the idea of changing the name of Category 5?  There are a lot of words for violent storms that evoke imagery vividly and I don't feel Category 5 accomplishes that same imagery very well.

Tempest, Typhoon, Nor'easter, Monsoon, Torrential Downpour, I find that any of these immediately inspire more power and command than Category 5.

I thought this too, but it's a minor concern. Some of those suggestions are more about the rain than actual wind/lightning that I think of more, but think tempest or typhoon would be the best choice on a name.

Since people won't stop talking about the repel, here's some video so people that haven't tested yet don't get the wrong impression based on a blatant skill issue, using jetstream an excessive amount just to drive the point across.

This is the slotting, no knock converters used.  image.png.95483229c85d4b1b831b16c7333fe937.png

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 4/6/2023 at 1:09 PM, Booper said:

I commend those who use this power as a tool for pushing enemies into the Storm Cell, however the repel is not there for this purpose. Jet Stream is a utility power used for safety, getting enemies further away from you. Many players will appreciate that ability, especially at early levels. Eventually players may no longer want the utility and can choose to respec out of it, or slot a KB2KD IO to remove the repel if they choose to, or they may like to keep the utility and leave the power as is.

The options are available to players to tune the power to their liking and we will not limit those options. The repel has utility and is thematic; it will not be removed. 

I can understand the idea of it being a utility power, but Storm Blast is first and foremost a blast set, and Jet Stream is the only AoE power it has until getting Chain Lightning at mid-levels. Jet Stream's primary purpose should thus be dealing AoE damage, without needing to worry about repel disrupting the enemies' positioning. I think repel is useful on a power which you can wait to use until the repel is beneficial, but certainly not on a power that you want to use to deal damage.

Edited by Thezanman
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just to note regarding the recharge/duration of Storm Cell: I found it relatively easy to get close to perma while leveling with just a couple of Recharge SO's; and I imagine basic recharge IO's will help this as well.

As to fast-moving teams? *shrug* Not every set excels in that manner, and frankly, not everything needs to cater to that style of play. I play Traps on fast-moving teams even though that's not it's specialty--you learn to pick and choose which powers are most needed at which times. If you're on a speed team, storm cell isn't going to matter/make a difference anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Just to note regarding the recharge/duration of Storm Cell: I found it relatively easy to get close to perma while leveling with just a couple of Recharge SO's; and I imagine basic recharge IO's will help this as well.

As to fast-moving teams? *shrug* Not every set excels in that manner, and frankly, not everything needs to cater to that style of play. I play Traps on fast-moving teams even though that's not it's specialty--you learn to pick and choose which powers are most needed at which times. If you're on a speed team, storm cell isn't going to matter/make a difference anyway.

It's more to the point of for how it's so crucial to the set, we should be able to have it up faster without needing to actually slot recharge into it. 90 seconds is a LONG base recharge for such an important power that pretty much needs to be on all the time. It makes it more annoying of a recharge, even if you slot/hasten/bonuses/lotgs that it's timing becomes more of an issue too due to this. The set is very anemic without it. In relation to actual fun, it's very un-fun having this power with it's current recharge. Not on an "it's too OP having it up sooner" it's more like a "you perma it anyway, the timing just makes it annoying to deal with rather than just making it work like glue arrow on a 30s rech/45s duration"

edit: rewording, it's not like it's a nuke that you "want to use every 5 seconds" etc. It's a "this power is crucial and the cuts out lots of fun by not having it up more commonly per mob". Also again on how for it's use, kinda feels llike the set needs it, shoudln't be hindered by needing to slot rech in it too. IE, it's more of a quality of life fix.

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Like 2

• City Council
3 hours ago, Thezanman said:

I can understand the idea of it being a utility power, but Storm Blast is first and foremost a blast set, and Jet Stream is the only AoE power it has until getting Chain Lightning at mid-levels. Jet Stream's primary purpose should thus be dealing AoE damage, without needing to worry about repel disrupting the enemies' positioning. I think repel is useful on a power which you can wait to use until the repel is beneficial, but certainly not on a power that you want to use to deal damage.

Jet Stream does full damage per the design formula, while also providing utility. You also get Storm Cell as your 4th power which also acts as a source of AoE and will cause foes within it to knockdown instead of repel. 

• City Council
7 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

I really don't think a feedback thread can be productive if the developers try to justify everything which feedback is being given on.

Good point, I will stop trying to justify the developers design decisions. Carry on.

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Booper said:

Good point, I will stop trying to justify the developers design decisions. Carry on.

I think having the proc chances somewhere on the main post would be helpful to people.

It doesn't even mention that intensify buffs your storm cell/C5 procs by 20%.

Edited by ScarySai

7 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

I think having the proc chances somewhere on the main post would be helpful to people.

It doesn't even mention that intensify buffs your storm cell/C5 procs by 20%.

Yes transparency is good. I'll reiterate on the power though, it's already lower base damage boost as is, which is fine given the mechanic, but I do think it should last the 30s so it lasts through the nuke duration, even if that means the damage and to hit buff are reduced a bit too.

22 minutes ago, Booper said:

Please don't lol. Whether we butt heads or disagree, the one thing to never do is not at least give explanation to something. That's something the original devs did, and it was horrible until they gave us "real numbers." Transparency is ALWAYS the way to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

It's more to the point of for how it's so crucial to the set, we should be able to have it up faster without needing to actually slot recharge into it.

I'd argue that it should really be a PBAoE Toggle.

The power is so central to the performance of the set that putting it on a 90 sec recharge just makes the set as a whole clunky in team play. At low levels, it won't recharge fast enough to use regularly (and you'll easily out-run it). Even at higher levels, you run into a situation where you have to lay in a power before you can really start attacking.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

The power is so central to the performance of the set that putting it on a 90 sec recharge just makes the set as a whole clunky in team play. At low levels, it won't recharge fast enough to use regularly (and you'll easily out-run it). Even at higher levels, you run into a situation where you have to lay in a power before you can really start attacking.

Yes, though I am not super in favor of a toggle that forces ranged into somewhat melee ranged it would still be better. But we already have Faraday Cage which seems to be begging to have the mechanic duplicated of resummoning the ground effect.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

i get what you're saing, but definitely now, especially for how much relies on jet streams backed away cone hits to kncokdown the mobs to keep them in the storm cell.

The problem with a melee toggle, ESPECIALLY for a ranged blast set, SHOULD be obvious why that's bad. The power needs to be a ranged location. There is no doubt in that. But it definitely needs to be a shorter recharge, activate faster, and cost less end. So the END result is that YOU can control it. WHERE AND WHEN you need it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, akumamishima said:

Tempest

Agreed, and I like Tempest!

Did a quick little play test with a Storm/Storm/Dark Corrupter tonight. I could definitely tell my Storm Cell and Category 5 were proccing extra damage, but it wasn't until I added a new combat window for pet damage only that I started to get a feel for the set. Essentially, Storm Cell and Category 5 (for all intents and purposes) summon a one-time Lightning Storm like the original Storm Summoning set. These can proc off of any Storm Blast attack and can also Scourge on a Corruptor. Sometimes it hits one target, sometimes more. The max I've seen is four but that was while play testing the Vangaurd dummies in RWZ. I attached a picture of the damage it was dishing out on some mobs in PI. Not sure what the "Split" and "Spread" tags mean in regard to the extra damage procced from Storm Cell, I also noticed a "Focused" proc, too. Upon further investigation, it seems that it's a proc tier system? "Spread" typically had the lowest damage/end drain values, "Split" slightly better and "Focused" had the highest values. 5.93 end drain on Vanguard dummies for Spread, 11.87 for Split and 23.75 for Focused. 

All in all, it seems pretty good for a first attempt. I basically copied and pasted my personal Storm build with a few minor adjustments... perma hasten, soft-capped defense to Energy/Ranged, etc. It performed rather well and the potential for insane damage is definitely there. I had enough recharge to keep Storm Cell and C5 up rather often and under both of those conditions and with very little play time, things melted. I didn't try to micro manage the repel in Jet Stream (I went 2 Acc/Dam Hami-Os, 3 damage procs and a Force Feedback proc) and it wasn't really bothering me. I did the first few Maria Jenkins AV arc missions at +4x8 and was chewing through Devouring Earth at a decent pace for solo. My only gripe is that it is painfully slow to get things rolling if you also choose Storm Summoning as a primary/secondary. A typical mob engagement for me on my Storm/Storm/Dark was Storm Cell. Freezing Rain, Soul Drain, Intensify, C5, either Ball Lightning/Jet Stream, Lightning Storm and then Tornado. It is a LOT to put down and is somewhat maddening. I even forgot to put Burnout into the mix. But once it was all dropped it reminded me of my Thugs/Storm MM.

My initial thoughts were good. The feedback about Storm Cell is the only change I'm all for. With my build, I was able to get the recharge down to around 25 seconds or so with the amount of recharge I'm able to pump out. Solo, this is more than enough, honestly, it's too much. But for teaming it would be a pain to have to lose out on the gimmick of the set every other mob. That being said, the proc damage wasn't anything to scoff at and would happen quite regularly if you were spamming your Storm Blast attacks. Feels pretty solid for a beta set right now, maybe some tweaks needed for QoL, but it's lookin' good so far!

2023-04-07.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Did a little bit of testing this evening 

made a Storm/Storm Corruptor  at level 50. No enchancements other than slotting Stamina and Hasten to three level 50's and putting -KB in the powersets where I would normally put them in Storm and the Storm Blast powers that indicated KB or Repel 

A couple of things of note 

1) Graphics

Gust needs some.. I dont know if this is the correct word.. " depth". Compared to a similar power in Gale where you can easily get a feel and SEE what is happening.. Gust left me wanting. 

Hail Stones. Also needs more... Ooomph graphically. 

Both these powers felt like they were too " transparent" to me. 

STORM CELL.. My main issue... Where the heck is it ?? How big is the area.. Its not very clearly defined.  like a Faraday Cage is clearly obvious where the area is..  Ice Patch.. can clearly see where the area is.. this.. not  so much and that is a major issue to me. Also it feels like it needs more slow and IMO there should be some -fly attached to it. I had mobs very easily run out of what I perceived to be the Storm Cell area. 

Direct Strike.. BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! APPLAUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME !!!!!!

on the other hand.. Chain Lightning.. what ?? I really didnt like this animation at all. I would have preferred like hitting thr ground and lighting dropping down on foes.. like a Thor smashing his hammer on the ground and then lighting starts dropping in an area on all foes.. (come to think of this.. why isnt THAT an attack) 

Cloudburst maybe its just me.. but I didnt like the swirly from Aqua Bolt.. and the cloud seems to be too HIGH above the target..

Category Five.. its all right.. hate the name though.. I agree with others..

From what I tested briefly tonight the powers themselves seem ok.. two issies

Category five. It feels kinda backwards.. Its a Nuke.. I feel like its damage should be upfront and then get smaller as it lasts.. Like a ThunderStorm.. BOOOM hits heavy... Rain.. Wind Lightning.. then peters out.. 

Also because there seems to be quite a bit of scattering and there is no way within the set itself to lock down foes it seems as if a lot of the AoE potential is wasted... That could just be feel however.. 

And Im going by feel and look right now.. no hard numbers... It looks and feels ok.. it needs some tweaks.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Camel said:

Not sure what the "Split" and "Spread" tags mean in regard to the extra damage

Last time I saw, cell's lightning procs can be between a single focused bolt, a split double bolt, or a spread quad-bolt.

Things like this are why I strongly recommend more informative patch notes for this set whenever the next batch of patch notes hit.

• Like 2