New players

Snarky

20 hours ago, Yevonai said:

As a new player, I heard about how great CoH was and I love playing.  However, every time I try and do team missions in a team, everyone else seems to know exactly where to go, what hallways to go down, where to teleport, which entrance to wait at, etc.  I just got so lost one night, I felt like I was holding everything back, I was always way behind the others trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be.  I just get so frustrated that everyone else seems to know exactly where to go even though I look at the map and compass it only confuses more sometimes.  I just left the team after dying a map behind the rest of the team, I gave up.  This game can be really frustration for someone that has never run these kinds of missions where you are speeding along map after map, going directly to objectives and moving on.

As others have said, definitely ask questions. I've played this game from the beta waaaay back on through today with some months taken off from time to time. I still don't know what people are talking about sometimes. The acronyms, oh the acronyms. For the longest time, I thought the Miss Liberty Task Force was someone talking about MILFs in the looking for group chat. I ask questions, especially on things that I know the team will be depending on me for. Most will be more than happy to help and the ones that don't...find a better team.

Also, for a ranged character, be careful about just "hanging out in the back"...ambushes love stragglers. <cough>Positron part 1<cough>

The Help channel can be a place to hit up for, well, help. On the chat window, you'll see tabs labeled things like "combat" or "local". These are customizable all the way down to their titles. Right click on and select "new tab". Label it Help and only select the Help channel. Bingo bango, you've got a channel you can hit solely for help that won't clutter up any of your other channels.

Edited by Skyhawke
  • Thanks 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

21 hours ago, Yevonai said:

As a new player, I heard about how great CoH was and I love playing.  However, every time I try and do team missions in a team, everyone else seems to know exactly where to go, what hallways to go down, where to teleport, which entrance to wait at, etc.  I just got so lost one night, I felt like I was holding everything back, I was always way behind the others trying to figure out where I'm supposed to be.  I just get so frustrated that everyone else seems to know exactly where to go even though I look at the map and compass it only confuses more sometimes.  I just left the team after dying a map behind the rest of the team, I gave up.  This game can be really frustration for someone that has never run these kinds of missions where you are speeding along map after map, going directly to objectives and moving on.

First, Welcome!

Second, let me add my voice to the others.  I'll gladly help guide someone through a task force if I know they're new, and I've done it often.  Just let us know.  Perhaps we old hands might handle this better like taking a second to ask if anyone is new to a TF/SF (Task Force/Strike Force), or even just a mission.

16 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

...The acronyms, oh the acronyms. For the longest time, I thought the Miss Liberty Task Force was someone talking about MILFs in the looking for group chat. I ask questions, especially on things that I know the team will be depending on me for. Most will be more than happy to help and the ones that don't...find a better team.

Do we have a list of acronyms anywhere to which we can point new players?  If not, we really need such.  I'd even suggest adding it as an optional window (probably scrollable) within the game.

21 hours ago, Yevonai said:

Hi @Yevonai. Which server are you on atm? I'm UK based, on Excel, and have been running contact-only mission teams from 1-50 for the last couple of weeks. No XP boosters on my toon, seeing some of the (better) arcs (generally the ones added late/ here on HC) and would be more than happy to start something fresh to come along with ya. Feel free to drop me a DM.  Wouldn't want you to feel frustrated. I also love seeing those arcs that quite a few of us haven't done in ages.

17 hours ago, Doc-Holiday said:

I'm a "new" player. Played during live and was present and online the day the word came down that the servers were going to be shut down. I am not a "veteran" player as I never got beyond mid-tier game-play ( I enjoyed working through the story-lines and the content). I am certainly new to Homecoming and prior to my log-in here last week I had not played CoH since the closing of the live servers.

How did I come to be here? I decided to look up any information on the CoH revival efforts I had been aware of over the years and made my way to Homecoming.

I'm currently on Everlasting and have only one character, Galeno. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience and relearning the system through game play and helpful players.

Welcome back home 🙂 

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png