White Knights / White Knighters / White Knighting - Good for the game or community?

Troo

All you people who get off on attacking honest, well meaning people by calling them white knights need to crawl back into the refuse pit you call home and rethink your priorities.

...something like that?

• Haha 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

All you people who get off on attacking honest, well meaning people by calling them white knights need to crawl back into the refuse pit you call home and rethink your priorities.

...something like that?

Needs more vigor.  You can't be a shite knight in whining armor with that weaksauce, step it up.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

41 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Needs more vigor.  You can't be a shite knight in whining armor with that weaksauce, step it up.

bite me.

better?

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 4/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, Troo said:

Definition:

: one that comes to the rescue of another

..but in forum/game/social context:
"White knighting is when an individual joins an argument with the thinly veiled intention of making themselves look good or in hopes of courting favor."

I am all for the forums limiting posting based on the poster's intent.

We should have some new sort of captcha so an AI can determine what your intent is when you go to post and then block you if you are having inappropriate thoughts.

Of course we need to form a central committee to determine what are approved thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

We should have some new sort of captcha so an AI can determine what your intent is when you go to post and then block you if you are having inappropriate thoughts.

Of course we need to form a central committee to determine what are approved thoughts.

Ahhhh, precrime. Long overdue.

BRING OUT THE PRECOGS!

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

2 hours ago, DougGraves said:

We're sorry.  The idea of forming a central committee for the determination of approved thoughts was not approved prior to publication.  One must first have the idea written out for approval on an official, officious, office form, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.  Then we'll consider it.  Eventually.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DougGraves said:

This might be the worst suggestion unless its a meme, that I have ever seen on these forums. And I've seen a lot.

But it would also be hilarious to watch so why not.

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

From the Wikipedia page for it:  "White knight" is also used as derogatory slang, often by men's rights activists, to refer to men who are trying to curry the favor of women by protecting them, alongside other, similar terms, such as "simp" or "whipped".[4] The usage of the term implies that men, when doing nice things for women, are motivated only by sexual desires.[5]

Let's not to to get too 4chan-y in here, plz and thang-que

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

From the Wikipedia page for it:  "White knight" is also used as derogatory slang, often by men's rights activists, to refer to men who are trying to curry the favor of women by protecting them, alongside other, similar terms, such as "simp" or "whipped".[4] The usage of the term implies that men, when doing nice things for women, are motivated only by sexual desires.[5]

I thought the term referred to "riding to someone's rescue" when they they didn't ask for your help in the first place (because you're assuming they're incapable, but I'm the hero of my own story, I don't need to be saved, etc.). Gets a bit confusing at times, because being nice to people used to be just "good manners." Now we're all questioning each other's agendas and intentions.*

*Thankfully, the doors at Wal-Mart are automatic, so there's no need to hold them open for anybody.:-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

men, when doing nice things for women, are motivated only by sexual desires.

That's not always the case. I was raised to do nice things for women or I'd invoke the wraith of my mom's leather belt.

To this day, I still hold the door for women, as you never know if my mom is hiding the bushes waiting to catch me.

Given the urban dictionary definition example where the white knight jumps in after someone calls another person a douche rather then state a logical difference of opinion, well I guess I'll be your huckleberry too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So this kind of term started circulating online, what 10-15 years ago? And like most slangy forum things, it can vary in what it actually means depending on the context in which it is said--but there is generally an implied idictment of someone's character or motives involved, no?

So Troo, not only are you dropping a somewhat contentious terd here, it's an old desiccated husk of a terd that you dug up from the yard. Probably somebody else's yard.

Is this quaint nothingburger the best we can expect from you now?

Or is there an ulterior motive here? Are these devs hot but you just don't want to come out and say it?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

white knight
noun

1. a person or thing that comes to someone's aid.
    • a person or company making an acceptable counteroffer for a company facing a hostile takeover bid.
      "the company was sold off to a white knight to fend off a hostile raider"

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:14 PM, DougGraves said:

I'll see your committee and raise you a "Snarky can be the only one on the committee".

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

On 4/19/2023 at 12:48 PM, UltraAlt said:

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

white knight

noun

1. a person or thing that comes to someone's aid.
    • a person or company making an acceptable counteroffer for a company facing a hostile takeover bid.
      "the company was sold off to a white knight to fend off a hostile raider"

Have seen the term thrown around in the pejorative sense that I quoted, often, I'm sticking with the idea it's been kind of corrupted by the reactionary crowd.  You can make up your mind differently of course.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝