White Knights / White Knighters / White Knighting - Good for the game or community?

Troo

On 4/19/2023 at 11:08 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

That's not always the case. I was raised to do nice things for women or I'd invoke the wraith of my mom's leather belt.

To this day, I still hold the door for women, as you never know if my mom is hiding the bushes waiting to catch me.

Given the urban dictionary definition example where the white knight jumps in after someone calls another person a douche rather then state a logical difference of opinion, well I guess I'll be your huckleberry too.

Yeah, it's one of those things that's gotten poisoned by the online hate crowd.  I still hold open doors as well, for anyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Have seen the term thrown around in the pejorative sense that I quoted, often, I'm sticking with the idea it's been kind of corrupted by the reactionary crowd.

Yes. It does seem that the "reactionary crowd" corrupts a lot of words.

Often times to have the opposite meaning intentionally.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, ForeverLaxx said:

This makes me laugh. I love definitions that try to take jabs at other groups instead of just explaining what the term means.

How is that a "jab"?  People who self-identify as MRAs use the term White Knight in this way.  It's a statement of fact.  

Words can have different meanings among different groups of people.  Saying which groups use the word to mean what is relevant to any discussion of what a word means, because there's no central authority that decides this.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Clave Dark 5 said:

From the Wikipedia page for it:  "White knight" is also used as derogatory slang, often by men's rights activists, to refer to men who are trying to curry the favor of women by protecting them, alongside other, similar terms, such as "simp" or "whipped".[4] The usage of the term implies that men, when doing nice things for women, are motivated only by sexual desires.[5]

Let's not to to get too 4chan-y in here, plz and thang-que

The term was widely used before 4chan or MRAs were a thing.

Back when the Internet was 99% sausagefest, this was one of the most common insults thrown around; and rightfully so, because damn did some boys get horny and obnoxious the moment a whiff of the better gender came around.

I am a very hairy man. Even *I* was whiteknighted pretty heavily by dudes who mistook playing female characters for having the equipment in real life. This absolutely was a thing.

If anything, the reason we can associate the term with weirdos nowadays is because the trend has been thankfully curbed, relative to the heights of online insanity in the early 2000s.

The last sentence of this Wikipedia definition is an irrelevant logical fallacy. Anyone normal knows the difference between a man being helpful to a woman and a guy trying to get in her pants. Calling out members of the latter group has never implied the former group shares their motivations.

• Thumbs Up 2