A collapse in the market also lowers the game playability

Diantane

3 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Anyone else feel like they need a shower after reading this thread? Or at the very least a stiff drink?

Something, something, Capitalism, something, something, greed, something, something, exaggerated expectations, something, something, they ruin their own experience.

That being said, 500k, no waiting, no refunds.

screenshot_230417-18-51-33.jpg

• Haha 7

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

This.  Your "one way" of earning is performing below your expectations so you are ready to quit a game you like.  

Breaks from CoH are good and healthy. In fact dare I say a lot more here should take them(myself included, though I'm biding time right now until June)

What this is, given I've had a kinda sorta similarish initial reaction when I saw Enh Booster prices minus the forum post, is probably just an initial kneejerk reaction. OP, I might recommend the above; take a short break, come back in P6 if you want or later, and sell them then. They'll be back to 1M soon enough, if prior experience has taught me anything regarding the market.

• Like 3

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Bro is living paycheck to paycheck in a video game. But in all honesty, just play a level 50 character for a bit and you shouldn't have any problems. Or if you are bougie AF, make some alt accounts and make afk farmers so you can still play the game.

• Like 3

I have been a super-lazy marketeer for at least two years, and I was barely that engaged before then... and despite never starting a new character with less than 200 MInf(*1), by the time the character enters onto the roster of "gosh, is it time to rotate where it is parked for Day Jobs?" I've never had a character go out to pasture this way with less than 400 MInf, just by casually crafting, converting and selling drops.... and usually the character has lots of catalysts, and relatively large stashes of merits (which I never convert to put on the market, which should offer some idea of how lazy I am as a marketeer).

The Homecoming Market is friendly to both buyers and sellers. P2W offers some universal enhancement for nothing, crafted IOs are always available cheap because of badges.

The one thing a player really ought to have (but could do without) is a SG base with storage space and a crafting table. You can /respec at a base and recycle enhancements if for some reason you want to completely unslot a character.

(*1) 200 MInf seed money is over-kill, it just happens to be the number I settled on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I swap earlier, running SOs until 22, when I swap them for 25 IOs, accepting the small reduction, and using higher IOs as I level for new slots. Then, when replacing them with sets, I use unslotters to pull them out, dumping them in base storage for the next character, so besides the incremental cost of the unslotters, there's essentially no cost involved in switching to IOs at 22. And at 50, I go back and replace any leftover 25s with 50s.

I'll throw in enhancements like endurance reductions on a case by case basis if the toon needs it or conveniently dropped recipes, but I can normally stick it out to do the filling all slots until 27.

4 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

Something, something, Capitalism, something, something, greed, something, something, exaggerated expectations, something, something, they ruin their own experience.

That being said, 500k, no waiting, no refunds.

screenshot_230417-18-51-33.jpg

image.png.599cbbd75a71e949d9d499825606e95a.png

3 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

:flip booster over: "Made in Taiwan"

giphy.gif

image.png.58f5c3ca2c5d7b5d82a6e2432e0b53ff.png

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

So this is the thread where it's okay to tell the OP that they are playing the game wrong and not to play how they want to play?

Is there some sort of tag to indicate that?

I think we need the White Knight thread people here.

But seriously, as Snarky as I am, I have pointed out a few logical issues with this.

But the OP has also opened up that they struggle with OCD issues.  Being batshit crazy myself (heavy on the bat) I understand that just because people say you could do things the "right way" you can still cave into an instantiable thirst for human blood.   As an example.

So the OP laments the populace has changed the market, either through loss of population or change in efficiency.  Or both.  Fair enough.  It is hard to learn new ways, and this is a mostly relaxing pastime.  In theory. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Diantane said:

Recently the auction price for an enhancement booster has dropped below a million influence each on Excelsior. That may sound like a bargain for buyers, but its a huge loss for the sellers. Selling these boosters provides me the revenue I need just to play the game. Of the approximately 8,900 boosters available on the Excelsior auction, about 6-7% belong to me and I can't sell them below one million each. So I'm forced to hold out with about 500-600 boosters in the bank.

When I start a new character it cost me 74,000 influence. I pay 24,000 to max out the amplifiers at 1,000 each for 8 hours. And 50,000 influence for a decent travel power until I train one in my teens. I play at double XP so there is no influence coming in. If I relied on the little money coming in from missions with no XP boost, I could not afford to buy more than 20% or less of the enhancements needed. Financing a character through level 40 costs between 7 to 12 million influence to upgrade the enhancements every five levels. It costs about 25 million for level 45 workbench IO's. If you use IO's during leveling, they don't expire, but then your percentage boost drops as you level (compared to the single origin counterparts). So you have to replace them too quickly which is expensive. I found that these workbench IO's only provide a few percentage points increase over buying level 50 SO's which are much cheaper.

I enjoy the storyline arcs in the game, but found that the high level arcs (level 40+) are mostly computer generated and boring. Playing them is just a grind which I do not enjoy. Have found that if I grind a level 50 doing these arcs, the influence coming in is decent, but again this is short lived unless the arc has a good storyline.

The bottom line is I'm holding out selling the boosters that I made from buying them with the merits I earned while playing the arcs. There will be a lull in the market until the price goes up. My funds have been disappearing and will be forced to play other games until the market collapse is gone.

Stopes reading after the first page I'll buy them off you if you need.

3 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

So this is the thread where it's okay to tell the OP that they are playing the game wrong and not to play how they want to play?

No, this is the thread where the OP panics about the price of a commodity taking a slight dip and literally calls that a "collapse," then tries a little light extortion ("I'm holding out selling the boosters that I made... There will be a lull in the market until the price goes up.") to convince everyone to start paying more again artificially even when the commodity is apparently available for a lower price because they as a seller "need" the revenue "just to play the game," and then everybody dismisses the threat part while simultaneously suggesting helpful alternative strategies that might allow them to circumvent the perceived problem or possibly prevent it altogether.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

2 hours ago, DougGraves said:

No, it's a thread where some folks are just pointing out that the sky is not, in fact, falling...

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Everyone is free to play the game the way they choose. But some ways are blatantly less efficient and can in fact impair ones enjoyment. Is it wrong to point that out?

• Like 3

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

5 hours ago, DougGraves said:

22 hours ago, Luminara said:

'k.

• Haha 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I thought this was the thread for the OP to lament how everyone else (i.e. those players using both ends of the market) isn't playing the way the OP wants them to play.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, tidge said:

I thought this was the thread for the OP to lament how everyone else (i.e. those players using both ends of the market) isn't playing the way the OP wants them to play.

So it's another "nerf incarnates" thread?

• Thumbs Down 1

23 hours ago, srmalloy said:

I swap earlier, running SOs until 22, when I swap them for 25 IOs, accepting the small reduction, and using higher IOs as I level for new slots. Then, when replacing them with sets, I use unslotters to pull them out, dumping them in base storage for the next character, so besides the incremental cost of the unslotters, there's essentially no cost involved in switching to IOs at 22. And at 50, I go back and replace any leftover 25s with 50s.

I do this, too.  I keep a stock of level 25 IOs in my base.  From level 22 on, I slot out all my powers from bins in my base.   I don't usually use an unslotter to save a level 25 IO but during a respec I'll keep any spares and throw them back in the bin.  If my base runs out of something, I just buy 10 off the AH, keep what I need and throw the rest into inventory.  Level 25s are pretty cheap anyway.  The point here is that I save a lot of influence and headache skipping the 30-45 upgrades completely.  Level 25 IOs are basically equal to SO's but without the maintenance headache.  That's plenty sufficient to get me to 50 comfortably.  Also this strategy saves on base storage space, too, since the only standard IO's I'm keeping are level 25, and not a mix of 30s, 35s, etc.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow