Favorite Melee Sets!

StriderIV

I’m not talking just about performance (although that is nice), but FEEL. What are your favorite melee sets that are just fun to play to you/feel great? I have a few below:

Kinetic Melee: I run this on a Stalker. AOE Crit burst from hide is FUN. I’m one of the people who really likes the animations outside of the T9.

Staff Fighting: I run this on a Tanker. The added AOE is nice, and I love the sound effects on this set. Something about hearing all the “bops” when I drop a guarded spin in the middle of a group.

Street Justice: This might be the one. Running this on a Scrapper right now. I know most love the set on a Stalker, but I love the knee animation of “Rib Crusher” and can’t give it up 😂 the mix of kicks and punches are great, they have CRUNCH and wonderful sound effects.

Super Strength: Foot Stomp. On repeat. That is all.

Katana/Dual Blades: Lumping these two together. They both feel amazing. I probably dig the animations of dual blades a bit more overall (except for Typhoon), but Katana has better CRUNCH to it.

Savage Melee: I run this on a Brute. Just feels like a perfect fit. Leaping in, tearing things up, giving into a berserker rage… just great.

Psionic Melee: Not a popular set, but I have it paired with Shield Defense on a Scrapper and aesthetically it is just awesome. The energy shield with the energy blades is just *chef’s kiss*

What are some of the ones you love? Any archetypes/specific sets you like to pair them with?

• Thumbs Up 1

@InvaderStychmebtioned this is the Blaster sub forum: Martial Combat. Everything flows and feels positively cinematic. Ki Push never gets old. Burst of Speed gives a little BAMF that vibrates my inner Chris Claremont.  I paired it with Sonic before the revamp in order to take as few primary powers as possible. But it goes with everything.

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Katana/Dual Blades: Lumping these two together. They both feel amazing. I probably dig the animations of dual blades a bit more overall (except for Typhoon), but Katana has better CRUNCH to it.

Because chainsaws. That’s just awesome. Get some Denji on…

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Psionic Melee: Not a popular set, but I have it paired with Shield Defense on a Scrapper and aesthetically it is just awesome. The energy shield with the energy blades is just *chef’s kiss*

Can’t agree more and for the same reasons! Just beautiful in the pairing. To this day, my only scrapper on Homecoming that I stuck with to 50.

A final add - stone melee. It just CRUNCHES. An oldie but a goodie. I have it paired with radiation armor for a tanker and told defense to take a hike cuz I’m going to Proc City (where the grass is green and the Cat Girls are pretty). When this mission zone is rockin’, don’t come a’knockin’…

• Like 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

28 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

@InvaderStychmebtioned this is the Blaster sub forum: Martial Combat. Everything flows and feels positively cinematic. Ki Push never gets old. Burst of Speed gives a little BAMF that vibrates my inner Chris Claremont.  I paired it with Sonic before the revamp in order to take as few primary powers as possible. But it goes with everything.

Because chainsaws. That’s just awesome. Get some Denji on…

Can’t agree more and for the same reasons! Just beautiful in the pairing. To this day, my only scrapper on Homecoming that I stuck with to 50.

A final add - stone melee. It just CRUNCHES. An oldie but a goodie. I have it paired with radiation armor for a tanker and told defense to take a hike cuz I’m going to Proc City (where the grass is green and the Cat Girls are pretty). When this mission zone is rockin’, don’t come a’knockin’…

Great minds think alike! In need to try Martial Combat and Stone Melee. Need to figure what to pair with them.

Dual Blades I paired with Energy Aura for the recharge. I still need to figure out what it is I want to pair with Katana, as I LOVE that set.

• Like 1

Ice Melee on a Stalker.   I mean, I like it quite a bit on a Tanker too, but on a Stalker it trades the mediocre Greater Ice Sword for the amazing Assassin Strike.  Unlike most sets proliferated to Stalkers, it does NOT lose an AoE.  This is how you do it!

I like pairing it with Shield Defense and using the Elemental Ice shield choice colored to match the Swords.  Makes it look like you are uniformly just Ice themed even though you aren't using Ice Armor.  You use your super powers to form objects like swords and shields out of thin air and coat the ground with it to aid your defense.  If only there was a way to have the shield form up and then disappear based on whether you were in Idle stance or not.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ZemX said:

Ice Melee on a Stalker.   I mean, I like it quite a bit on a Tanker too, but on a Stalker it trades the mediocre Greater Ice Sword for the amazing Assassin Strike.  Unlike most sets proliferated to Stalkers, it does NOT lose an AoE.  This is how you do it!

I like pairing it with Shield Defense and using the Elemental Ice shield choice colored to match the Swords.  Makes it look like you are uniformly just Ice themed even though you aren't using Ice Armor.  You use your super powers to form objects like swords and shields out of thin air and coat the ground with it to aid your defense.  If only there was a way to have the shield form up and then disappear based on whether you were in Idle stance or not.

Great call out! Ice Melee is just one of those sets that meshes perfectly on a Stalker AND with Shield.

Love everyone’s opinions so far!

Random one: I love Peacebringer’s melee attacks in human form. They just have great “feedback” on them.

A lot of people have talked about Katana on a Scrapper. I’ve only ever ran it on a Tanker. What secondaries do y’all like pairing with it on a Scrapper?

17 minutes ago, Supertanker said:

I'd like to say Super Strength is my favourite because I've played it the most, but Rage is kind of kludgy. Powerful but awkward.

So I have to go with Psionic Melee because Boggle is fun.

I never worked boggle into my Psi/Shield  Scrapper build. Maybe I should give it a shot. How do you typically use it?

6 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

I never worked boggle into my Psi/Shield  Scrapper build. Maybe I should give it a shot. How do you typically use it?

I usually use it on Lts., since Minions die quick anyway. Best on debuffers (they debuff their allies instead), or a damage helper against Psi-resistant enemies. But a lot of the time it's just for fun, like boggle the Crey Lts. who throw a Confuse grenade and suddenly all your enemies are fighting each other.

• Haha 1

Another vote for Stone Melee. I've done it on a brute and a dominator (Earth Assault). Hits like a freight train and very crunchy. War Mace also has a very satisfying crunch and Crowd Control never gets old.

I've been playing Martial Arts since I2 and it never gets old for me. Not the best numerically, but it has a great feel to it and good sfx. The blaster version is also good (and it has the best version of Eagles Claw). The dominator version isn't really a melee set, but I do wish they would proliferate Spinning Kick.

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Not necessarily the whole set, but one specific power: Lightning Rod from Electrical Melee.  It just feels so "SUPER!" to me, like "KABOOOOM!  YOU ARE ALL DEAD NOW, OR WILL BE SHORTLY!  FEAR MY POWAHHHHH!". 🙂 

• Like 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.