Base Contest Announcement!

Dacy

Base Contest Community Choice Voting  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Which base do you feel deserves the Community Choice Award for 2023? (Bases listed alphabetically by shard)

• Crash Castle CRASHCASTLE-26019 Everlasting
    • The Dark Coven DARKCOVEN-5519 Everlasting
    • The Deep Star DEEP-16353 Everlasting
    • Dryad's Tree DRYAD-20249 Everlasting
    • Lake EXPLOREONFOOT-20176 Everlasting
    • Firebrand Island FORTUNE-13524 Everlasting
    • Hidden Isle PIRATE-16369 Everlasting
    • Lava. LAVA-24772 Everlasting
    • Rampage City RAMPAGE-27317 Everlasting
    • Vault Luxe VAULTLUXE-17647 Everlasting
    • The Divine DIVINE-1512 Excelsior
    • Shades of Arachnos 315-6811 Excelsior
    • The Station STATION-18074 Excelsior
    • Super Nation SN-9845 Excelsior
    • Wild West All-Stars WWAS-16037 Excelsior

This poll is closed to new votes

• Community Rep

We have completed going through each base, and have scored each based on our rubric for technical and artistic merit, and how well the base fit the requirements of the category in which it was entered. We are in the process of doing tours with a few bases we wished to get a closer look at, with the builder giving us a tour. Meanwhile, we have a list of the  bases that scored the highest on our rubric. This list of course will include the eventual winners of each category, but we're still on the last leg of deciding that. Meanwhile, we offer up this list of bases for the Community Choice award! Visit the bases, please, and then vote (once) on your favorite. The winner will be the base with the highest votes that has not been chosen as the winner of another category.

We will announce the winners in a ceremony on Sunday, April 30, at 5 PM EST in Kallisti Wharf on Everlasting. Next year, we'll do the ceremony on Excelsior, just to keep things fair. 🙂 We will then post the winners on the forums on Monday, May 1.

Watch for announcements of our Base Crawls, as we take groups to visit each of the bases on a shard, ending with trivia about the bases you just saw, and prizes! But of course, we also hope you will visit the bases (yes, even the ones on that "other shard") on your own, especially if you can't make it on a Base Crawl with us.

Good luck to all our worthy contestants!

-CR Dacy & CR Easter Bunny

Edited by Dacy
  • Thumbs Up 7

• Community Rep

Another plea to please, please visit. Please don’t just look for the base you know, or your friend's base. Please give the contestants due consideration. We the judges, and these base builders, would really appreciate the visits and the consideration.  if you have been visiting these bases and are already ready to vote, thank you so very much! 🙂

-Dacy

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I personally visited all the bases on the list again this morning before submitting my vote.  I don't know any of the builders on any server but truth is there's a lot of 5-star bases here and it's going to likely come down to personal taste having to pick just 1.  😃  Good luck to all!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Community Rep

Easter Bunny and I have both been asked about bases not appearing on the list. If you have not been contacted for a tour, and you are not on the CC list, I'm sorry, your base is not in the position to win a category at this time.  We scored bases on a rubric that was designed to score technical skill, artistic merit, and how well the base met the requirements of the category. Some bases blew us away with artistic merit, but did not score as highly on the technical side. Some bases lost points in other ways, simply not scoring as highly as the bases listed here, which you can see, if you visit, are very high quality. The bar was very high! All of the base builders have reason to be proud, but if you want to know where you could strengthen your base build, the CRs would be happy to help you. All bases will be receiving commentary from the judges on what we liked about your bases.

Rest assured, we DID go visit and score every base. All 74 that were entered.

However, we are still busy with tours and finishing out scoring, and are unable to individually address base issues at this time. We welcome your questions after the contest is done. Thank you!

-CR Dacy and CR Easter Bunny

Edited by Dacy

36 minutes ago, Osirisbain said:

I'm not surprised my base isnt in the list...the finalists are really good!

i have a LOT more to learn and experiment with 🙂 Great job everyone

Same here.  We weren't designed with RP in mind so by default I had to list as Utility even though it's not really "Utility Focused" either.  It was just designed with aesthetics and theme in mind.  Maybe next contest will have something we're more suited to.  Still awesome to see the creativity and designs out there regardless!

• Like 1

• Community Rep

Yes, there will be other contests, and I promise, they won't be the same at all. 🙂 Other than the fact that we will still highly value skill and aesthetics.

-Dacy

• Thumbs Up 1

I spent three days visiting and revisiting the bases on the community list.  I don't know any of the base designers but boy, are they all eye-catching!  I had to revisit several over again just to refresh my views.  So many artistic and creativity out there! Voted!

• Like 3

• Community Rep
23 minutes ago, Crystal Dragon said:

Thank you so much for visiting the Pellean Sanctum, and the feedback is hugely helpful with my design ideas. I'm glad I was able to share my work! 😄

Thank you so much for your gracious response. That is exactly what we hoped for. It's the nature of a contest that not everyone can win, or even qualify; we have some spectacular bases that did, and just because a rubric put another base a bit higher on the scoring than it did your base, that does not mean your base isn't wonderful and perfect for you. Those that wish to take the learning experience and go forward, I applaud you, your spirit, your work ethic, and I know you'll be doing great things! 🙂 Those that become discouraged and turn away break my heart, and I wish I could help them feel better, but I'm doing all that I can.

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Dacy said:

Thank you so much for your gracious response. That is exactly what we hoped for. It's the nature of a contest that not everyone can win, or even qualify; we have some spectacular bases that did, and just because a rubric put another base a bit higher on the scoring than it did your base, that does not mean your base isn't wonderful and perfect for you. Those that wish to take the learning experience and go forward, I applaud you, your spirit, your work ethic, and I know you'll be doing great things! 🙂 Those that become discouraged and turn away break my heart, and I wish I could help them feel better, but I'm doing all that I can.

-Dacy

I completely understand that. It was exciting to see everyone elses creations and I got a lot of ideas off of some of the bigger builds that won! Congrats to everyone that one, it was well earned!

• Like 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

• Community Rep

Thoughts from my heart right now:

I have heard some grumbling still about the fact that Vault Luxe is in the Community Choice contest. 💔 And where I hear anything, I know more is out there. This after I've tried to make it clear, both in the posted rules and in a posted clarification, that Easter Bunny did not 1) enter the base 2) judge the base, and, he is INELIGIBLE FOR AWARDS.

We allowed the owners of bases that judges had worked on to enter the bases, so that they and any other builders who worked on the base weren't penalized by having happened to have built a base with someone who then became a judge. Honestly: Let's say a friend wins this contest. A friend you have worked on a base with, a base that will be ready for next contest. Do you want to be disqualified because that winner is now a judge for this round? We set up the rules so that people who aren't judges won't be punished because they worked with someone who became a judge. Judges can't enter their own base, and they don't judge any base they helped on, and they get no rewards if it wins anything. And I think that's fair. Do you think it's fair to prevent those that aren't judging from entering, even though the judge is essentially removed from being associated with the base?

Now, Easter Bunny did the base in question before he became a CR, and there is another builder who also worked on it. As I stated above, he did not enter the base, that was the owner (over EB's objections). Can anyone look at that base and honestly say it doesn't deserve to be considered by the community? We have no control over the community vote, that is all YOU.  It hurts EB that his integrity is questioned, that is probably the most important thing to him, and it makes me really sad, because I know he IS so very upright and honest. 💔

We CRs get no recompense for this volunteer position. We get no perks, we have no powers (as of this writing). We gave up being able to enter contests and win awards to be your voice and to run contests for you. We have spent many hours doing these things for you. Our goal is to help anyone who needs it with their base building, because we love it, because we love this community, and because we want to see people reach their personal best.  But I do want to be clear: we lose out on things like recognition for our work, and prizes, so that we can serve you.

Now, I guess you can blame me for allowing bases that CRs and judges had worked on (in part) to be in the contest. I did think that, if I told you how the judging would be handled and that the judges would be getting no rewards, people would understand that, and be okay with it, because I thought it was fair. I still do. I still think it's a shame that Easter Bunny is one of the very best builders around, and yet will not get any recognition for that.  But, due to the lack of understanding and the grumbles, we will change the rule. No CR stuff will taint your contests in the future. But, regular players who happen to be taking a turn helping us judge? Bases that may have them on the building team can enter, but, the judge in question won't judge that base, nor can they earn the title or merits.

However. As fair as I think that rule is, I have to admit that we are new. (And to be fair, we were warned that people wouldn't listen to what we said about how the entries of judges/CRs would be judged). So, we are still learning. The rubric isn't perfect, we will work on it, and we will take suggestions on what you think is important to a base when it's judged. The rules aren't perfect, and will be updated for next time. The categories weren't perfect, they will change next time. We appreciate feedback. We are listening. We will respond. So if you think that bases that judges (which remember, might be you at some point) shouldn't be allowed to be entered by their owners and other builders that helped, please, register your opinion. If you think it's fair, let us know that, too.  If you have opinions on how the contest might improve, let us know.

I appreciate greatly all of you who've been super supportive. I really appreciate those of you who see the incredible work that EB has done and agree that it deserves to be voted on by the community.  I do love this community, I think in general, it's the best in the world, but I ache when people aren't happy, so I'd like to figure this out. Thank you all so much.

-Dacy

One more thing: It hurts to have to tell people, builders who put their all into their bases, that their wonderful work didn't make a score higher than some other bases, even though the bases that scored higher are superb, and scoring a bit lower does not in any way mean a base is not also awesome. It's just a score on a rubric, folks. We had to have some way to gauge things. If you want to learn what it was that could have scored higher, we're willing to share and help. But I do hope you don't get discouraged, because I believe every base entered has merit, and every base entered has weak spots; no base was perfect, nor do I expect to find a "perfect" base score wise, but I do hope a base can be perfect for those that made it. Take inspiration from great bases, and learn how to address things in your base that you think can be improved. It really doesn't matter what a rubric says. We want you to make the base that is right for you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

All bases that weren't considered as finalists for their respective categories should have been part of the Community Choice poll. I'd recommend that for the next one.

Also, it’s not a great look when a CR has their base as a poll option as well as them being a judge; regardless if they aren’t personally allowed to vote on it. Either the judge needs to completely recuse themselves from the next contest or the base has to not be included. 

Edited by Starforge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

25 minutes ago, Dacy said:

RESPONDING INLINE: 

"I have heard some grumbling still about the fact that Vault Luxe is in the Community Choice contest. 💔 And where I hear anything, I know more is out there. This after I've tried to make it clear, both in the posted rules and in a posted clarification, that Easter Bunny did not 1) enter the base 2) judge the base, and, he is INELIGIBLE FOR AWARDS."

I cannot understand why ANYONE would have a problem with this? The base owner is rightly PROUD of the base and it should have been entered. IN MY OPINION - EB should be eligible for a VOTED award, because that has nothing to do with being a judge. If he isn't JUDGING the competitors, (which he is NOT in the Community Choice category) then why WOULDN'T he be able to get an award? If the community VOTES for a base, it shouldn't matter who the judges are because the judges are NOT judging those bases - at that point! 

"We allowed the owners of bases that judges had worked on to enter the bases, so that they and any other builders who worked on the base weren't penalized by having happened to have built a base with someone who then became a judge. Honestly: Let's say a friend wins this contest. A friend you have worked on a base with, a base that will be ready for next contest. Do you want to be disqualified because that winner is now a judge for this round? We set up the rules so that people who aren't judges won't be punished because they worked with someone who became a judge. Judges can't enter their own base, and they don't judge any base they helped on, and they get no rewards if it wins anything. And I think that's fair. Do you think it's fair to prevent those that aren't judging from entering, even though the judge is essentially removed from being associated with the base?"

I think you all have gone over and ABOVE to make sure that this is honest, transparent and fair. Kudos! I personally think that every contest should have a community voted nomination/votes category where the judges have NOTHING TO SAY about it, and thus should totally be allowed to be included. 

"Now, Easter Bunny did the base in question before he became a CR, and there is another builder who also worked on it. As I stated above, he did not enter the base, that was the owner (over EB's objections). Can anyone look at that base and honestly say it doesn't deserve to be considered by the community? We have no control over the community vote, that is all YOU.  It hurts EB that his integrity is questioned, that is probably the most important thing to him, and it makes me really sad, because I know he IS so very upright and honest. 💔"

^^^^ THIS!!!

"We CRs get no recompense for this volunteer position. We get no perks, we have no powers (as of this writing). We gave up being able to enter contests and win awards to be your voice and to run contests for you. We have spent many hours doing these things for you. Our goal is to help anyone who needs it with their base building, because we love it, because we love this community, and because we want to see people reach their personal best.  But I do want to be clear: we lose out on things like recognition for our work, and prizes, so that we can serve you."

AS A COMMUNITY - I would like folks to stop and think about the time these CRs are putting in TO BENEFIT *ALL* OF US. Volunteering isn't without cost to the volunteer. Believe me, I know what volunteering looks like and how much a person can sacrifice. I run a non-profit. Prior to COVID, we had several volunteers and I went out of my way to let them know how grateful I was for even the smallest amount of help. When you have someone who is willing to take time they COULD be spending on THEMSELVES, yet they give it up to benefit OTHERS, it deserves to be recognized. 

"Now, I guess you can blame me for allowing bases that CRs and judges had worked on (in part) to be in the contest. I did think that, if I told you how the judging would be handled and that the judges would be getting no rewards, people would understand that, and be okay with it, because I thought it was fair. I still do. I still think it's a shame that Easter Bunny is one of the very best builders around, and yet will not get any recognition for that.  But, due to the lack of understanding and the grumbles, we will change the rule. No CR stuff will taint your contests in the future. But, regular players who happen to be taking a turn helping us judge? Bases that may have them on the building team can enter, but, the judge in question won't judge that base, nor can they earn the title or merits."

Personally I think that if no one that is a CR can enter their work, then JUDGES from the community SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ENTER THAT CONTEST EITHER. Fair is fair and if CRs are being penalized, then ANY judge should be also excluded. 

"However. As fair as I think that rule is, I have to admit that we are new. (And to be fair, we were warned that people wouldn't listen to what we said about how the entries of judges/CRs would be judged). So, we are still learning. The rubric isn't perfect, we will work on it, and we will take suggestions on what you think is important to a base when it's judged. The rules aren't perfect, and will be updated for next time. The categories weren't perfect, they will change next time. We appreciate feedback. We are listening. We will respond. So if you think that bases that judges (which remember, might be you at some point) shouldn't be allowed to be entered by their owners and other builders that helped, please, register your opinion. If you think it's fair, let us know that, too.  If you have opinions on how the contest might improve, let us know."

Personally I appreciate the work you both have done. I don't have powers to hand out merits, but if I did, there would be a SPECIAL award for doing so much for the community! I know we wouldn't have a lot of the new base stuff if you folks weren't actively involved in helping advocate for those changes. For that, you both have my GRATITUDE! 

"I appreciate greatly all of you who've been super supportive. I really appreciate those of you who see the incredible work that EB has done and agree that it deserves to be voted on by the community.  I do love this community, I think in general, it's the best in the world, but I ache when people aren't happy, so I'd like to figure this out. Thank you all so much.

-Dacy

One more thing: It hurts to have to tell people, builders who put their all into their bases, that their wonderful work didn't make a score higher than some other bases, even though the bases that scored higher are superb, and scoring a bit lower does not in any way mean a base is not also awesome. It's just a score on a rubric, folks. We had to have some way to gauge things. If you want to learn what it was that could have scored higher, we're willing to share and help. But I do hope you don't get discouraged, because I believe every base entered has merit, and every base entered has weak spots; no base was perfect, nor do I expect to find a "perfect" base score wise, but I do hope a base can be perfect for those that made it. Take inspiration from great bases, and learn how to address things in your base that you think can be improved. It really doesn't matter what a rubric says. We want you to make the base that is right for you."

I cannot even imagine how difficult judging those bases was. And even just the TIME to develop the rubric? You both have put SO MUCH into giving US - the PLAYERS - a contest and a way to show off our bases! I don't enter contests mostly because I don't have time to put in to build the kind of base I think would be worthy. I've made bases that I enjoy and I totally agree that the best base for any player is the one that is right for them. 

At the end of the day, Dacy, please remember that you will never be able to please everyone. As a relative used to tell me - there will always be those people who could be born with a silver spoon in their mouth and one shoved in their... ear, and they'd complain that those spoons weren't filled with marmalade. I think the contest was a fantastic opportunity for builders to show off their bases! I know I toured every one in the CC category and thoroughly enjoyed most of them. For all those who didn't win, there's always a next time. For the judges - wow! What a job I would not want and thank you for doing it. I've judged a Halloween costume contest for the past couple of years, and that is hard enough! I cannot even FATHOM - even with the rubric - having to judge between those bases! Thank you both for all the time you invest in making base building better for ALL OF US! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1