Barrier

Tankshock

On 4/22/2023 at 9:18 AM, Astralock said:

Barrier isn't needed in 4* hard modes.  It's used as a crutch in lieu of actual team composition and build variety, and gameplay.  Destiny stacking needs to be done away with altogether, IMO.

To a degree I can understand, but this is City of heroes, the entire damn game is a crutch. This isn't WoW, this isn't a game thats even meant to be remotely competitve. It's a meme in terms of difficulty(I like this! If I wanted a game to be a sweaty tryhard in there are literally hundreds of other options), and people tend to overanalyze(HM 4 is a joke. It's literally the same shit from HM 1 but with stat boost. Wow, such difficulty. Wow. I say this as someone who ran HM back when it was popular 1 star through 4 several times.)

HM 4 isn't build diversity, It's two or three cold corrs, insert obligatory fire blasters, and a Rad or Bio or Stone tank. Damn that's an insanely diverse team we got here...(not all teams for you pedantic folks but if you've ran it you know it's basically this.)

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 hours ago, Seed22 said:

HM 4 isn't build diversity, It's two or three cold corrs, insert obligatory fire blasters, and a Rad or Bio or Stone tank. Damn that's an insanely diverse team we got here...(not all teams for you pedantic folks but if you've ran it you know it's basically this.)

If something negative happened to Barrier in 4* HM, wouldn't you see more than two or three Colds being required?

Honestly they could get the same result as everyone having barrier if everyone would just take leadership: Maneuvers.  In terms of defense anyways, it wouldn't help with resists but thats what people with resist shields are for.

I don't really care for hard mode since, well, it is just a number change and its kinda silly to reduce team divsersity in a game about well, having a mix of characters to play with.  At least everyone can take barrier I guess but I think people just underestimate leadership powers still.

• Like 1

I use barrier on my Blasters now, but the logic that arrives at that decision may not be obvious.  I always build for soft cap defenses at level 50, so barrier actually does almost no benefit for most enemies to me.  And Blasters don't have status protection, so Clarion may seem like a more obvious choice.  But here's my thought process.  By far, my biggest concern in any fight is defense debuffs.  Enemies who can debuff my defenses have to be killed or hard controlled ASAP or they will stack up, quickly and turn every enemy into a dangerous foe.  Now, actually, all of the Destiny Incarnate options can help combat this in some way... by giving regen, debuff resists, etc....  But Barrier, now, that power just completely negates the debuff by leaving me above 45% defenses most of the time, and shutting down the snowball effect completely.  I've done a lot of testing against 4x8 Arachnos, Cimerorians, PPD, arachnids... and Barrier just gives me the best survivability.  It also helps with my status protection by just helping me not get hit.   I still target defense debuffers first, but at least with Barrier I have a time to take them out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

12 hours ago, Spankea said:

If something negative happened to Barrier in 4* HM, wouldn't you see more than two or three Colds being required?

No.

Thats more of a staple of groups than a Barrier thing.

• Thanks 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|