Looking for idea for my next controller

Sykar

Hello, I want to get another controller since it is my favorite archetype but I would like to use a primary set that is substantially different from the ones I already have,

My main is a Grav/Time controller and got a second one with Illusion/Storm. I also have a Dominator with Mind Control/Energy since I was curious how different they feel compared to controller. So that begs the question, which of the sets is markedly different from the 3 ones I have.

One combination that I really enjoyed, but was more of a "defensive" playstyle over a damage-dealer, was earth control/pain domination.  It's superb for supporting a team, but solo it can be a slog.  Still, if you want to try something different, give those a try!

• Thanks 1

Just a note on the above combo:  "World of Pain" is kind of a lynchpin of the build, so I slotted it to get it to be permanent.  It provides a damage, tohit, and resistance buff to all in range, which is really nice!  I also opted to take stealth, so I could drag my animated stone into enemies so it got aggro, since controllers lack the mastermind's ability to command their pets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Earth has the most AoE control of any of the control sets. In addition to the standard AoE hold and immobilize, it's got an AoE stun, knockdown patch, slow and sleep. In return for all that control you lose damage. It's not a set I would pick if I intended to solo, but it's great on teams.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I love Earth Control.  It's possibly my favorite set among what's probably my favorite AT.  The high amounts of control makes it excellent for teams.  If you want damage pair it with Storm Summoning or even Trick Arrow if you want a different secondary.  Storm is strong for damage as is but using some procs in Fossilize, Ice Arrow (from TA) and perhaps Fire Mastery can add significant amounts to damage to the overall  build.  

• Thanks 1

I'll echo the love for earth, phenominal set and you become a control god!

But if you've never played a plant troller, jump on it! The creepers and the confusion give it its own unique feel and it packs decent damage too.

Another oddball that I really love is ice/rad. Ice has low damage and odd control but once you get it up and running it has amazing hold/mitigation potential with the hold aura, confuse/slow aura, 2 aoe holds and ice patch. Lots of fun!

edit: I almost forgot, dark/dark is awesome! If you enjoyed your Illusion troller you'll probably enjoy dark/dark. 5 pets if you take one in the epics and debuffs for days!

Edited by mistagoat
forgot about Dre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

• 2 weeks later

Well, I started a Mind/FF controller because MC is so much fun on my Dom but I have a hard time getting into Dom At, I like controller better. Earth is next on my list, then Plant.

If you're still looking for options, I can recommend Symph/Sonic.  

It's not meta-strong like the aforementioned Plants/TA but it is different from the Trollers you've mentioned above. Symphony plays sort of like a Blastroll set, in that does a fair amount of damage (including the ST Confuse, great for mid-combat confusing). Also the pet is very non-standard, echoing your powers with a slight delay. It takes time to get used to, but can help layer extra damage and control. This makes it one of the few control sets that feels better on a Controller than a Dom.

Sonic is a fairly hands-off support set, unlike Time and Storm. This lets you focus more on your offensive oriented control set. There's a few skippables in the set that opens up options for fun pool powers as well. While +Def buffs are fairly ubiquitous on teams, +Res is less common, so you'll rarely find your buffs to be superfluous. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds good, will make one of that as well. I am thinking of getting a controller for every primary. Not sure if I want more with different secondaries. Don't think they would differ sufficiently enough.

Anyone got experience with Elec controller? I had one with me yesterday and he said that his damage was worse than my 30 MC troller despite him being a high level veteran level character. Is Elec/Elec that bad?

oh ya the damage is bad on elec control. the gremlins hit ok, but if youre coming off a melee, domi even, or blast type, its bad.

(damage is better on something like an elec/earth domi if wanting to keep the primary).

i dont think of it at all like that on my elec / ea controller.

i can do decent group healing, yes, and the chain moves fast. I can put a group absorb shield sveral times a minute, same with group end recover in chunks available instantly to my teammates.

control wise, i hold them rather than kill hard baddies, the aoe hold goes off quickly, and i always bring a tazer to supplement the st hold.

sleep patch is great, and works past people blasting off aoes in it.  chain is for recharge proc fire, and the cc it provides.

now im sure you can kind of break all your set bonuses and put in procs, sort of, but elec control?

it does not do good damage. 

Edited by honoroit
  • Thanks 1

RE: plant control 🌱

once you try 'seeds of confusion' you'll wonder about why mind control has a 4m CD on mass confusion.

albeit slightly lower range and coverage, 50ft@ 60°, vs 80 ft @ 25ft radius, its the cooldown... its 60s base for plant vs 240s for mind.  meaning practically, you can use it all the time.

only comperable is electrics chain based one.

creepers is neat, the spirit tree would need to be 10x stronger regen to justify it as an immobile pseudopet.

Issue 5 unfairly nerfed MC brutally and Plant was a mastery that was sold for money. It is not hard to realize why the free mastery was treated like this compared to the money maker. It is a little disappointing that HC team has yet to at least somewhat undo the nerfs to MC and TK.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sykar said:

Issue 5 unfairly nerfed MC brutally and Plant was a mastery that was sold for money. It is not hard to realize why the free mastery was treated like this compared to the money maker. It is a little disappointing that HC team has yet to at least somewhat undo the nerfs to MC and TK.

The changes to Telekinesis hardly qualify as a brutal nerf to Mind Control. I played Mind Control before and after the change and TK was never a set defining power. Plant Control was released as a dominator primary in I6 and not proliferated to controllers until I12 (3 years later). Other than requiring the purchase of City of Villains, it was never pay to play. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Reduced the amount of targets from 16 down to 5. These days most CCs have a target limit of 16, TK still remains at 5 for no reason whatsoever. Increased CD and reduced duration. TK was hit with a nerf sledgehammer. TK was and still is the only reliable way to set up containment for AoE on a MC. Hypnosis only works for one ability and Total Domination just takes too long to recharge. TK was also not the only power that was nerfed, 5 out of its 9 powers had their Recharge doubled and duration halved. There is a reason why TK is routinely skipped by basically every player.

Edited by Sykar
  • Like 2