Storm Chasing: how are you building so far?

ThaOGDreamWeaver

6 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question(s) Player-1, the Developer, answers at least part of your post.  Also CoD lists it as stacking both from the caster as well as in general near as I can tell.

English is a very ambiguous language.

Your powers will get Storm Cell bonuses as long as they target enemies that are inside of a Storm Cell. However, only your Storm Cell will proc High Wind and Lightning from your Powers.

In the contact of this sentence it could be referring to that fact that there are multiple bonuses from Storm Cell that will apply to any storm blast power in its effects. The plural on bonuses could also mean multiple Storm Cells, or both. 

While it is good information, and I was happy to learn this info,  due to the nature of our language it is not a precise answer and I like to understand how things work and not guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

1 hour ago, Zep said:

English is a very ambiguous language.

Your powers will get Storm Cell bonuses as long as they target enemies that are inside of a Storm Cell. However, only your Storm Cell will proc High Wind and Lightning from your Powers.

In the contact of this sentence it could be referring to that fact that there are multiple bonuses from Storm Cell that will apply to any storm blast power in its effects. The plural on bonuses could also mean multiple Storm Cells, or both. 

While it is good information, and I was happy to learn this info,  due to the nature of our language it is not a precise answer and I like to understand how things work and not guess.

Totally understand that sentiment.

• Developer
On 5/14/2023 at 10:33 PM, Zep said:

Question(s) please:

1) Do the Storm Cell Bonuses stack for multiple Cells?

2) Does this apply to Cat 5 as well, stacking or non stacking bonuses but no procs?

Hello Zep,

To clarify on these points:

1) Overlapping Storm Cells do not stack bonuses such as Gust's DoT or Direct Strike's stun. The powers look to see if a target is "In a Storm Cell" and will activate bonuses accordingly, but does not care how many Storm Cells it is in. 

2) Category Five also counts as a Storm Cell for the purposes of the bonus effects. If you drop a Category Five down on an area, then use Jet Stream, you'll notice it does Knockdown like with Storm Cell. However, overlapping with Storm Cell does not provide further bonuses.

In short, as long as a target is within anybody's Storm Cell or Category Five they will be subject to the bonus effects of Storm Blast powers. But only you can proc lightning and high winds from your own Storm Cell or Category Five.

2 hours ago, Player-1 said:

2) Category Five also counts as a Storm Cell for the purposes of the bonus effects. If you drop a Category Five down on an area, then use Jet Stream, you'll notice it does Knockdown like with Storm Cell. However, overlapping with Storm Cell does not provide further bonuses.

Hmmm . . . I've been laying them both down in the same general area, along with a freezing rain.  Maybe I would be better off letting them overlap a bit, but cover more ground.  I shall ponder and test!

8 hours ago, Player-1 said:

Hello Zep,

1) Overlapping Storm Cells do not stack bonuses such as Gust's DoT or Direct Strike's stun. The powers look to see if a target is "In a Storm Cell" and will activate bonuses accordingly, but does not care how many Storm Cells it is in. 

In short, as long as a target is within anybody's Storm Cell or Category Five they will be subject to the bonus effects of Storm Blast powers. But only you can proc lightning and high winds from your own Storm Cell or Category Five.

Thank you very much.

Knowledge is power - almost literally in this case.)

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

13 hours ago, Player-1 said:

Hello Zep,

So if I am going to drop Cat5 on a group of enemies there is no reason to first cast Storm Cell?

If that is true I think it should be stated explicitly in the power descriptions because dispite playing the set quite a bit and trying to understand it in CoD I had no idea...

It also begs the question; if I have both active in the same area, use another storm blast power and proc lighting, which power is actually triggered? If for example I have one with substantially better slotting that could matter a lot. 

• Developer
7 hours ago, MirrorDarkly said:

So if I am going to drop Cat5 on a group of enemies there is no reason to first cast Storm Cell?

If that is true I think it should be stated explicitly in the power descriptions because dispite playing the set quite a bit and trying to understand it in CoD I had no idea...

It also begs the question; if I have both active in the same area, use another storm blast power and proc lighting, which power is actually triggered? If for example I have one with substantially better slotting that could matter a lot. 

Storm Cell can proc its Lightning and High Winds debuffs, where Category Five can proc its Lightning. Having both in an area stacks all those effects still, or you can have them on seperate groups to greatly increase your area of effectiveness. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later
On 7/3/2023 at 10:42 PM, StriderIV said:

Necroing a bit. I like the idea of Storm Blast, haven’t ran it yet though. I could be wrong, but with its dots it seems like it might fit “best” on a Corruptor. Has anyone found any particular pairings they like with it?

The scourge is one thing with it yeah. Still wishing they have this front-lined to fix at least the chain lightning rech/end values to 10ish (and fix it to at least proc on the single target and used ranged IO's like other chains do SO it's more like ST and aoe rather than the just piss poor aoe that it is now), and proc rate of attacks to 100%, and thus changing intensify as well to perma just to hit and minor damage boost something like 90rech/60 duration for the next patch. REALLY want to do another stormy proper but ughhh is it just so poor on these issues! Lockout on c5 should be lowered to like 3s too IMO even if the damage of the strikes is lowered a bit to compensate.

I'm running a Storm/Trick Arrow and loving it.  When I use Chain Lightning a top of Oil Slick Arrow I will say it leaves a veritable sea of orange numbers coming up when it scourges.  Satisfying as heck to see on my computer screen no matter the actual values.

A made a Storm/Storm/Dark Corr recently, and the set has definitely become a favorite. Almost feels like the set was made for me. I don't tend to chase a ton of procs over set bonuses so the lack of them doesn't really hurt me, and as someone who was... mildly obsessed with Dark Miasma for years both here and on live, the prep time doesn't bother me either. It definitely loses a bit in faster group, but its such a satisfying way to play for me.

Storm/Storm in particular though is starved for End constantly. It definitely feels like Storm Blast is a bit to expensive on bluebar for how it's meant to be played, and pairing it with the already very thirsty Storm Summoning may have been a mistake on my part. I will likely try a few other pairings in the future, and I imagine it'd be great fun on sentinel too, where you can focus on the blasting the way the set wants you to.

On 7/10/2023 at 3:18 AM, farsinger said:

Storm/Storm in particular though is starved for End constantly.

Agree.

The things I did for endurance:

1. Slotted Panacea, Numina and Miracle uniques in Health

2. Slotted Performance Shifter and Power Transfer Uniques and one End.Mod from each

3. Slotted Scourging Blast +End proc in Hailstones, use it often, and then made it Superior at 50.

4. I took Cardiac Core for Alpha and Support Core for Hybrid

5. Finally, I looked at my build and found my cheapest and most expensive end cost powers and tried to use cheap ones more than expensive ones if possible.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:28 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

I'm running a Storm/Trick Arrow and loving it.  When I use Chain Lightning a top of Oil Slick Arrow I will say it leaves a veritable sea of orange numbers coming up when it scourges.  Satisfying as heck to see on my computer screen no matter the actual values.

It is, but can also be done with any primary not storm specifically. If you really wanna see those dot's do ice/ta corrupter, or at least fire/ta where the rain will automatically light the slick for you.

On 7/11/2023 at 4:49 PM, WindDemon21 said:

It is, but can also be done with any primary not storm specifically. If you really wanna see those dot's do ice/ta corrupter, or at least fire/ta where the rain will automatically light the slick for you.

Quite true.  But Chain will not only ignite Oil Slick (it's energy damage) but can also cause Storm Cell or Cat 5 to proc Lightning and of course Cat 5 is also throwing up DoT.  And the discussion in any case is about what one is doing with Storm Blast, not which set pairing actually gets the biggest sea of numbers.  I've no doubt Ice/TA would indeed put up a lot of orange as well.

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Agree.

The things I did for endurance:

1. Slotted Panacea, Numina and Miracle uniques in Health

2. Slotted Performance Shifter and Power Transfer Uniques and one End.Mod from each

3. Slotted Scourging Blast +End proc in Hailstones, use it often, and then made it Superior at 50.

4. I took Cardiac Core for Alpha and Support Core for Hybrid

5. Finally, I looked at my build and found my cheapest and most expensive end cost powers and tried to use cheap ones more than expensive ones if possible.

1: yup standard

2: yup standard

3: yup, though you get better proc rate from it in direct strike.

4: any build can do that sure

5: looking at 3 as well, doing so causes one of the main issues which is the proc rates of the powers to proc cell and c5. Doing this means you're going to be getting less procs out of them using the cheap end powers ie like gust/hailstones/jetstream really ending in a lose-lose with the set. This is why it's pretty imperative to have all the attacks just guarantee 100% procs (which would also help fix the myriad of issues with the procs on cell/c5 themselves. C5 less so but could still use the help, but mainly storm cell which procs so inconsistently, and often not on advantageous targets that it also becomes very inefficient) This is one of the main issues with the storm blast set that hopefully should get fixed for next patch *praying like hell*

In addition to earlier comments, another huge issue on end cost is chain lightning, costing more end than regular aoes, while ALSO doing LESS damage (far less if it chains the wrong way or misses the initial/chain targets) Meaning you have to attack more and longer to kill a mob, which also means its going to cost a lot more endurance. Where it should have about a 10s rech, and 8 end cost as it also doesn't proc at all. Fixing those stats would also greatly help fix the sets end and aoe issues. Needing to cast cell every mob as well, while doing nothing unless spending your own attacks as well, would make insane sense for that power to have it's end cost reduced as well.

15 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Quite true.  But Chain will not only ignite Oil Slick (it's energy damage) but can also cause Storm Cell or Cat 5 to proc Lightning and of course Cat 5 is also throwing up DoT.  And the discussion in any case is about what one is doing with Storm Blast, not which set pairing actually gets the biggest sea of numbers.  I've no doubt Ice/TA would indeed put up a lot of orange as well.

Right, i was just pointing out that your whole basis of that post was seeing those numbers after oil slick, which isn't storm-specific.

That said, Ta is a really nice paring with it for the slows and debuffs, but then just ugh on the end cost/performance of storm blast, which the main 2 fixes I listed just above would correct most of (proc rate of attacks being 100% and halving chain's end/rech stats which would match it's aoe damage, lower it's EPA, and account for whole/half mob misses due to it's chain nature)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WindDemon21 said:

1: yup standard

2: yup standard

3: yup, though you get better proc rate from it in direct strike.

4: any build can do that sure

5: looking at 3 as well, doing so causes one of the main issues which is the proc rates of the powers to proc cell and c5. Doing this means you're going to be getting less procs out of them using the cheap end powers ie like gust/hailstones/jetstream really ending in a lose-lose with the set. This is why it's pretty imperative to have all the attacks just guarantee 100% procs (which would also help fix the myriad of issues with the procs on cell/c5 themselves. C5 less so but could still use the help, but mainly storm cell which procs so inconsistently, and often not on advantageous targets that it also becomes very inefficient) This is one of the main issues with the storm blast set that hopefully should get fixed for next patch *praying like hell*

In addition to earlier comments, another huge issue on end cost is chain lightning, costing more end than regular aoes, while ALSO doing LESS damage (far less if it chains the wrong way or misses the initial/chain targets) Meaning you have to attack more and longer to kill a mob, which also means its going to cost a lot more endurance. Where it should have about a 10s rech, and 8 end cost as it also doesn't proc at all. Fixing those stats would also greatly help fix the sets end and aoe issues. Needing to cast cell every mob as well, while doing nothing unless spending your own attacks as well, would make insane sense for that power to have it's end cost reduced as well.

I've been putting off make a Storm Blaster with hope that they will re-examine some of these elements. Has there been any talk of doing so, or should I just bite the bullet and make one?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bellicose said:

I've been putting off make a Storm Blaster with hope that they will re-examine some of these elements. Has there been any talk of doing so, or should I just bite the bullet and make one?

Not that I've seen/heard, though they are GLARING issues with the set, so it'd be astounding if they didn't review these main points. I'd say we should at least see if it's in the next beta fixes perhaps but they've been really behind on any between-patch fixes lately. I'm holding off cause after several storm blasters it just gets REALLY annoying dealing with these issues. You can pair it with something that has insanely good endurance to help that part but you'll not get past the performance issue of chain lightning and the terrible proc rates on storm cell/c5 with the powers. This also makes the set REALLY bad until you basically have direct strike, cloudburst, and chain fully slotted and a full build of recharges to even have any decent proccing out of the powers. It's really a big issue, and it's REALLY apparently earlier on (hence why the proc rates should be 100% for all powers, cell/c5 rely on those, there is no reason, when it already forces you to constantly use ONLY storm powers to proc, that they shouldn't guarantee it, especially for how low the proc rates are as is too, especially also with both powers having lockouts. Which also on c5, should have the lockout duration shortened even if the damage per proc is lowered to compensate).

This also comes at an added cost/detriment, where when you're not using your storm blast powers, you're not getting those procs and cell/c5 are thereby doing even less. Guaranteed procs would mean/allow that you can actually use other attacks during those lockout periods, ie like every other attack, and not hinder your benefit for cell and c5. Don't forget as well, on big mobs that the procc'ing is only hitting 5 targets on c5, and only 1-4 besides high winds for actual damage too. So it's already going to be less efficient until the mob is literally down to about 3 targets left. (and that's at 100% proc rate as well, so it's obviously MUCH less now with the stupid low proc rates).

You'll also notice since cell moves too slowly (c5 should move too), that early game you're dealing with both, it not being up enough for every mob, yet pretty much required for a mob, but also 15end to cast every mob also makes a huge impact on your endurance too since it does nothing really without you attacking. The proc rates currently on attacks make this even worse too because for one, cloudburst is important for that but comes fairly late in the set, so your earlier attacks won't proc much, but also that you can't "save end" by attacking and getting a proc when you do, but attacking less to save end. Which means your cell does even less then due to the proc chances. Gust, is so insanely stupidly poor at proccing as well which is dumb. Cause late game, it'd at least be a tradeoff if all attacks were 100%, cause you could proc more by using gust more often, or by skipping/not using it to trade off the procs, for more damage on the actual stronger (and longer animating) attacks, but currently they have this set so backwards with low/tiered proc rates that it is just extra terrible early on.

Edit: Not to forget also how cell/c5 still suffer from the base accuracy issue, which is still just extra bad against anything higher than +2s requiring more acc slotting than most powers to hit, and even then still missing more against +3s/+4s. This also still really needs fixed.

Edited by WindDemon21

13 hours ago, Bellicose said:

Do it.

Unless you find it totally unappealing the more raw data as well as anecdotal feedback is undoubtedly useful for the devs in deciding whether to tweak and if so how much might be needed going forward.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

Do it.

Unless you find it totally unappealing the more raw data as well as anecdotal feedback is undoubtedly useful for the devs in deciding whether to tweak and if so how much might be needed going forward.

Okay, I did.

Quick question. Do I need to put KB->KD IOs in Storm Cell and/or Cat 5?

I'm not sure if those powers are kicking mobs out of their own area of effect. or if I've just a string of bad luck with 'allies' 'helping' 'mitigate' damage through knockback.

30 minutes ago, Bellicose said:

Okay, I did.

Quick question. Do I need to put KB->KD IOs in Storm Cell and/or Cat 5?

I'm not sure if those powers are kicking mobs out of their own area of effect. or if I've just a string of bad luck with 'allies' 'helping' 'mitigate' damage through knockback.

You don't need KB2KD IOs in either.

12 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

As @Captain Fabulousstated no you don't need any in either power.

I'll preface the next statement by saying it's been a bit so it's not as fresh in my mind but some of your powers will in fact be turned from kb to kd when use on a target in Storm Cell.  Hopefully someone will correct me and or add to that statement as needed.

Well, I was pretty sure that's how Jet Stream worked; but, after running a handful of ITFs this week I had noticed a trend. It was either me or a teammate. I suspect the latter.