Minimal FX for buffs

How easy would it be to add an option to Null to turn player buffs (like the shields from cold domination) to the Min FX version?  I cant stand looking like a giant ice cube and usually cancel the power, but it would be nice to have the buff and the minimal fx version.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Rudra said:

They can be cancelled?! I don't have to stand there like a fool seething until they go away?!

Right click the icon for the buff in the top right hand corner, and choose "Cancel" from the drop down.

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

Anybody who takes Cold and doesn't select minimal fx for the shields is inconsiderate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

23 hours ago, 0th Power said:

How easy would it be to add an option to Null to turn player buffs (like the shields from cold domination) to the Min FX version?  I cant stand looking like a giant ice cube and usually cancel the power, but it would be nice to have the buff and the minimal fx version.

You could try this, but it will also hide almost all FX -

Well, they're not *your* powers, so there's not really a way (or reason, I suppose) for you to control them that way.  Besides, how would that affect the caster? I know I'll usually be looking at what the team is *doing,* not staring at the team buff bar (which can get *extensive*) to see if someone needs something refreshed. If you could just turn that off, i'd end up wasting buffs (and my END and potentially recharge) trying to rebuff you.

Best you could do is see if there's a mod to turn them off on your side.

8 hours ago, Uun said:

Anybody who takes Cold and doesn't select minimal fx for the shields is inconsiderate.

Or wanting to be able to *see* that you're buffed easily. Or doesn't know about the options. Or *likes* the graphics of *their* powers. Pretty rude to just make a general statement like that.

• Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Or wanting to be able to *see* that you're buffed easily. Or doesn't know about the options. Or *likes* the graphics of *their* powers. Pretty rude to just make a general statement like that.

You've pretty much provided examples of the dictionary definition of inconsiderate: "careless of the rights or feelings of others". 

• Thumbs Down 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Ideally, the best solution would be one where I can see the full graphical effects of my powers, even those applied to other players, while those same players can choose to only have minimal ones displayed, from their perspective...

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Uun said:

You've pretty much provided examples of the dictionary definition of inconsiderate: "careless of the rights or feelings of others".

You really have an odd way of defining that.

Someone who buffs is not going to know *every single person* on the game's preferences. I don't know if you do or don't like a buff. I don't know if you hate the color green and are going to pitch a fit because that's the color my buff is.

My job as a buffer is to *try to keep you alive.*  And if that means me seeing my shields on you?

You *have* a solution right now. Client-side mod. Either find one or ask for someone to help make one. They've even made it easy to install using the COH modder tool.

No, I'm not "provid(ing) examples of inconsiderate." If anything, you're providing examples of selfish and entitled by insisting *everyone who plays cold* remove graphics *they* may like or find useful. Whether or not *anyone else in the game* - including on the team you're on at any point - likes them.  I'm not psychic, I'm not going to go through my costume and power choices paranoid that someone *I may never team with* doesn't like my powers graphics or the colors or whatever. If that were what was the most important thing, hell, then the devs should just remove all graphics from everything that anyone may find annoying or just not like... in other words, pretty much everything.

Edit:

Hell, I don't even have the option (since live) to skip people with buffs, thanks to the change back then of making them all AOE. If we *did* still have that as an option, you might have the *slightest* point about people who keep buffing when you ask not to. But that's not a thing that can be done any more.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

@Greycat has a point. There are players that like the way the powers look. There are players that don't like the way the powers look. Visuals provide a good means for the team buffer to know who needs what without having to possibly parse through an insanely long display of buff icons on any given character. I agree with the OP in that it would be nice if the player could set how buffs were applied to them, at least for their own visuals on their own display. However, just because someone plays a support character and does not minimize their effects does not make them inconsiderate. It makes them someone that for any reason wants those effects active. Demanding that players minimize the effects of their buffs is like demanding Energy Blast players slot KB to KD in all their powers regardless of how that player may employ the KB from their powers.

yup just cancel it if you don't want it. It literally takes 5 seconds to do, personally I cant stand the whale sound from bubbles. So I cancel them when I get them. The real issue here is, hold on a sec while i spin a yarn

In ye olden day, buffers would have to buff each person individually it was very inefficient and kinda annoying tbh. Many buffs were later changed to be aoe type buff as a QOL for those who play support (we salute you). This is why drive by buffs are much more common than in the golden era. While not all buffs are attractive or palatable they are generally helpful. 

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?