Are there any underpowered power sets you'd like to see buffed?

Harrow

I'll keep my criticisms towards Sentinel Energy Blast in that case, because frankly it's extremely apparent in Sentinel. It's more of a hindrance than a help in virtually any scenario with the archetype.

Seconding that sentinel energy blast needs a boost. It's damage per second of animation are all at the lower end of the sets, and doesnt have a hard hitting/fast animating attack like Zapping Bolt (82 DPSA), Blaze (108), or Bitter Ice Blast (86). The animation times and recharge make Power Burst in particular completely redundant and Focused Power Bolt nearly so.

Additionally, with the Sentinel's short ranges you can often knock targets out of your own range. Given Energy Blast's random nature of knockback, this isn't ideal. It's one thing to have fixed KB, that allows for skill. Chance for KB sucks.

I would add a chance for both knockdown and disorient to Power Bolt and Blast, with Power Burst a guaranteed disorient. Assault Rifle has Disorienting Shot on a 5 second recharge, Stunning Shot is on an 8 second recharge, Abyssal Gaze on 11, Tesla Cage on a 12, etc. Even with that Power Burst would be inferior due to worse damage.

Then increase Focused Power Bolt's damage by 50% and drop it's absurdly long animation time from 2.9 seconds to 2.25.

Such an IO already exists. However, it's a huge enhancement tax to essentially reduce the randomness from potentially destructive to purely constructive.  It doesn't make sense to have "disrupt all formations" as a 20 to 50% chance in every attack; when you make an attack, the important parts should be reliably happening, and random chance should be for pure bonus.

Sure, and in targeted aoe, posis blast only needs 5 slots...

In single Target, ene blast kills so quickly knockback is a non issue

Lol, no it does not... Energy Blast is soundly middle of the road in ST damage, at the lower end on AE, and lowish on control. It's DPS and DPSA is astoundingly unimpressive.

While Traps as a set is pretty well off, Time Bomb and to a lesser extent Trip Mine, could use some lookin' at in my opinion.

At the very least let us put interrupt reducers in them xD

What would you do with time bomb? I agree it could use some looking into. But I can't think of anything. Maybe having it attach (as in "anchor") to a mob that detonates after some time (like a sticky bomb). That way you can target the boss and it will go off. It still wouldn't do too much AoE damage, but it'd see some use. Then again, I'm not even sure if that's possible.

Well a "quick fix" in my opinion would be to make Time Bomb function like Crab Spider's "Omega Maneuver". Every time I use or see that power being used I think "That's what Time Bomb should be". I like your idea as well!

I also feel it overlaps too much with Trip Mine. They feel kind of redundant. So maybe some sort of extra debuff attached to the Time Bomb could help distinguish it.

All the people who take Omega Maneuver say it's not very good, either. Too slow.

That can be solved by speeding up its activation time. It's a neat idea that is hampered by poor execution, but it would certainly work better than time bomb currently.

Traps is pretty bad all around honestly. Triage Beacon is crap, and should either be mobile or placed on a target. Acid Mortar should also be mobile. With the changes to how toggle debuffs work, non-toggle debuff powers lose a lot of their advantage. Web Grenade is garbage (as is entangling net arrow). A no-damage single Target immob with no good debuff has no place in a support set. Seeker Drones arent terribly impressive for their downtime. Trip Mine is poor damage for the time involved in setting it up and time bomb is even more worthless.

Traps has like one great powers: FFG. Acid Mortar and Poison trap are good. Everything else is meh to crap leftover from the worst blaster secondary. It plays counter to how good teams operate (steamrolling) and has stupidly long recharges for mediocre effects.

My biggest issue with web grenade is that on top of being bad, it's a forced power pick unless you're a defender. It would be so much better if it was AoE or threw in additional debuffs.

Aside from that, so much of Traps would be improved with just shorter cooldowns it's not even funny. Triage Beacon in particular.

In addition to all your other comments and suggestions for Traps I would also throw in that Caltrops could use a much longer range on a support set imo. Also it would be appropriate if Traos got a stealth or placate effect added to one of its powers (IDK which) to make setting up actual, like, traps much easier.

Would also love to see those Energy Blast changes implemented.

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

So after some thought:

- Web Grenade could also impose a placate.

- Increase Caltrops' base range to 40 feet (up from 25).

- Decrease Triage Beacon's cooldown to 30 seconds (down from 200)

- Force Field Generator could also grant the user (and only the user) powerful stealth, a la Invisibility.

- Trip Mine and Time Bomb could be double damage maybe?

- Time Bomb should be a Remote Bomb instead that you can explode with an additional power rather than on a tight timer.

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

• Empathy (at this point, fort and adrenalin might as well be teamwide; absorb pain probably ought to be cottaged)
  • Trick Arrow
  • Force Fields (power tweaking, probably some absorb)
  • Ice Armor (on tankers specifically, maybe brutes too)
  • Battle Axe
  • Broadsword
  • Beast Mastery

+ Kheldians generally, although it's less specific power issues and more a design issue

+ APPs generally, ditto the above

+ Tankers generally, ditto the above

Some ideas for Ice Tanker:

- Make fire resist equal to cold resist.

- Exchange Hibernate with Icy Bastion.

I think Ice is meant to have a fire weakness, just as Fire has a cold weakness, Dark has an Energy weakness and Energy has an Neg Energy weakness. How would one justify buffing Ice's fire resists?

Also, it may not be the most popular power on the set, but some people do like taking Hibernate. Taking that away from them doesn't seem like a great way to fix inefficiencies.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Unpopular opinion - I think there are too many overpowered power sets as is and would like to see them brought down a bit.  The game with a team is pretty easy and with the "right" team is an absolute cakewalk.  I like feeling super as much as the next guy, but it seems (anecdotal evidence) that there are too many sets that can solo +4/x8s, which Im not sure if anyone should be able to do.

That being said, if they decide to buff every power set and make the game even easier, I'll probably still play.

EDIT - I would like to see the Energy melee activation times cut down for selfish reasons.

Then what's the point of investing weeks of your time planning and striving for sets and incarnate.

It's the next level for a reason, normal content shouldn't be hard and if it is you've taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

/Poison for Corruptors.  A lot of the support/debuff sets are heavily team focused and that's fine, but this is the only one I can think of where the very first power in the secondary is useless solo.  Even /Empathy and /Thermal get an AoE heal that benefits you as well, but Alkaloid is purely single target and not usable on self, and if you're a Corruptor you have to take it right away.

This...I know it's unpopular to say, but I agree...Ideally, no set should be able to solo at that level, and if they can, either the baddies need to be more difficult (better option) or the sets should have powers toned down...

I know people are going to say, "why are you telling me how to play", but unfortunately, this is one area where your playstyle and mine overlap and can't be separated.  If the game is too easy, it's not fun.  If I can solo all the content at +4/x8 and still get that AV at the end...it's not fun.  (I'm not quite there though).

*If I can solo all the content at +4/x8 and still get that AV at the end without IOs then something might be overpowered. However, soloing that kind of content with enough IO investment just sounds like things are working as intended.

Though, I think "ALL" content at +4/x8 is a bit hyperbole. I've yet to see someone do all content equally with ease.

You caught me Rylas...It was hyperbole (that's why I added the "I'm not quite there though")...

But IMHO, it should be impossible to solo regardless of build/level/IO sets anything at +4/x8.  Even Superman has his limits...and sometimes even he needs his friends to help him out.  And this is more a philosophical question that we'd all have to get on the same page before we look at solutions to how that would work.  If the overwhelming consensus is "no...no...no, I need to be UBER and be able to defeat anything" then it's pointless to debate, because we aren't even in the same mindset to have the discussion.  I'm not saying wanting to be UBER is bad or wrong, just for me, it's not fun.  I want the challenge.  I want to know that even with the best build, there is only like a 5% chance I could solo an AV at +3, and there is no chance, w/o help, that I could do it at +4.  That's my mindset...And if we go with my mindset, then we have to include IO's in the discussion.  But like I said, if you disagree, you disagree, and that's OK.  I think I'm sadly in the minority here, and like 0th power said, I'll still probably play...just won't have quite as much fun...

Speaking from a tanks perspective, How many ordinary people without kryptonite can superman beat?  The whole world / worlds probably?  If you spend 300+ mil on iOs and can't solo +4/8 s/l or even nrg fire cold and psy you have gone wrong.  Guess what on mine toxic can kill me - give one of the billions on the planet a kryptonite gun Super is gone.

It's working as intended and there is hugh level content that challenges incarnate, I know because we do it just about every night on excelsior, come see if you wish.

I think Ice is meant to have a fire weakness, just as Fire has a cold weakness, Dark has an Energy weakness and Energy has an Neg Energy weakness. How would one justify buffing Ice's fire resists?

Also, it may not be the most popular power on the set, but some people do like taking Hibernate. Taking that away from them doesn't seem like a great way to fix inefficiencies.

Ice Armor has a bigger fire hole than Fiery Aura has a cold hole (ice has 12.5% fire resist, fire has 20% cold resist). Fire is also a bit more common. I could see at least equalizing them.

Also the 3 people who like it can cry they no longer need an invulnerability toggle because their set is actually functional. Burn the cottage. I'm sure there were some people who liked fear powers making enemies run, but the devs saved them from themselves too.

Ice also needs some measure of built in Smash/Lethal resistance. It's embarrassing to try and tank at low levels..

Ice Armor has a bigger fire hole than Fiery Aura has a cold hole (ice has 12.5% fire resist, fire has 20% cold resist). Fire is also a bit more common. I could see at least equalizing them.

They’re never going to be equal, because Ice has Defense to Smash/Lethal, which is often paired with Fire damage, but not always. In fact, you probably have it backwards; Fire is likely more vulnerable to Cold than Ice is to Fire, because of that defense. Also, Cold usually comes with -Recharge, which messes up Fire with its reliance on its self-heal, while Fire Damage rarely comes with any other side effect.

/Poison for Corruptors.  A lot of the support/debuff sets are heavily team focused and that's fine, but this is the only one I can think of where the very first power in the secondary is useless solo.  Even /Empathy and /Thermal get an AoE heal that benefits you as well, but Alkaloid is purely single target and not usable on self, and if you're a Corruptor you have to take it right away.

It could use an all-round buff IMO.

The endurance costs on Envenom and Weaken are pretty high, and they could use another radius boost from to 15 feet maybe (from the current 8 vs radiation's 25' radius). Previously they had an advantage over toggle debuffs in that the toggles vanished if the anchor died. Since the changes on Homecoming, this is no longer the case. Moreover, mastermind AE debuffs are smaller in radius than defender/corrupter AE debuffs, but the radius of Envenom and Weaken were not increased when they were proliferated.

The set also encourages you to play close tot he action with venomous gas only having a PBAE 15' radius. I thik it could use a self heal or additional mitigation. I would propose making Alkaloid function as is if targeting an ally, or be a PBAE heal over time if you are targeting an enemy/have no target. Injection in the medicine pool already offers an effect that differs based on whether you target an enemy or an ally.

I'd also love to see Elixer of Life be usable with reduced effect on a living ally, similar to how Nature's Rebirth can either be a rez or a massive heal. Really most of the single target rez effects could use this treatment.

<shrug> I think fire damage is used more than you think, and cold a lot less than you think, but it was just an idea.  Wasn't there a breakdown somewhere of the frequency of damage types?  Seems like I saw that somewhere, I'll have to look.  I was just trying to think of something that would benefit Ice but actually be something doable, and adjusting a number seems doable.

Hibernate is, quite simply, a T9 power that is completely antithetical to the entire purpose of the Tanker archetype.  It's a completely selfish power that takes the Tanker out of the combat for a time; no taunts, no damage, no help for the team.  Maybe, if you're lucky (or good) you can get off one last taunt before you hit it, and possibly that taunt will maintain through the 30 seconds or so you've removed yourself from combat, but the chances are that neither of those things are going to happen.  Honestly, I can't imagine anyone complaining about getting an actual help-the-Tanker-help-the-team power as a replacement for Hibernate.  Hibernate has always been the "take it at 49" power, and I haven't taken it on either of my Icers started after rebirth. 

I wish all the T9 primary powers were powers you anxiously awaited and cheered when you finally got, but that's a different thread.

They’re never going to be equal, because Ice has Defense to Smash/Lethal, which is often paired with Fire damage, but not always. In fact, you probably have it backwards; Fire is likely more vulnerable to Cold than Ice is to Fire, because of that defense. Also, Cold usually comes with -Recharge, which messes up Fire with its reliance on its self-heal, while Fire Damage rarely comes with any other side effect.

I honestly am not even ready to get involved with this discussion of Fire vs Ice yet...because neither one is even remotely close to being on par with WP, Elec, Shield or even Invuln for that matter.

Until Ice and Fire gets the love they need to bring them on par with WP and the other top ranking sets, I'm cannot even be concerned with how they stack up against each other.

Ice is good, do not get me wrong, but it pales in comparison to WP and the other sets. And personally, to me, Fire seems very gimp against anything other than the silly farms Fire Tanks like to do....which makes them useless in my eyes.

Unpopular opinion - I think there are too many overpowered power sets as is and would like to see them brought down a bit.  The game with a team is pretty easy and with the "right" team is an absolute cakewalk.  I like feeling super as much as the next guy, but it seems (anecdotal evidence) that there are too many sets that can solo +4/x8s, which Im not sure if anyone should be able to do.

That being said, if they decide to buff every power set and make the game even easier, I'll probably still play.

EDIT - I would like to see the Energy melee activation times cut down for selfish reasons.

Then what's the point of investing weeks of your time planning and striving for sets and incarnate.

It's the next level for a reason, normal content shouldn't be hard and if it is you've taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

I agree that with a proper build, normal content should be pretty easy. But I don’t think that normal content != solo +4/x8. 

And FYI I have a spine/fire that I play +4/x8. I’m not looking to call for nerfs, but I wouldn’t be too upset if some power sets or ATs were brought down.

Someone else mentioned being Superman.  I don’t think in this game there was ever the idea for the player to be Superman.  Metropolis only needs one Superman and we have thousands of heroes.

So after some thought:

- Web Grenade could also impose a placate.

- Increase Caltrops' base range to 40 feet (up from 25).

- Decrease Triage Beacon's cooldown to 30 seconds (down from 200)

- Force Field Generator could also grant the user (and only the user) powerful stealth, a la Invisibility.

- Trip Mine and Time Bomb could be double damage maybe?

- Time Bomb should be a Remote Bomb instead that you can explode with an additional power rather than on a tight timer.

I agree with many of these changes, Cooldowns especially need to be looked at. Unless you're rocking some major global recharge, most of your key powers will not be up every spawn. Which just feels wrong. Especially on faster moving teams.. In fact Traps seems to currently shine on teams with mediocre damage, as they excel at "setting up base and camping". But that plays counter to the rest of the game entirely.

A few changes I'd make

Web Grenade - I am not sure. While its lackluster on most teams, it is a critical tool for binding down AVs for those who like to solo them. Making it AoE would increase recharge and endurance cost making it less usable for that purpose.

Caltrops - Double or triple the AoE radius, bring the "max Run debuff" up slightly to compare to Tar Patch's'. This will provide a bit of soft control as well as "lock down" ability. As mobs love to run away from Acid Mortar.

Triage Beacon - Cut Cooldown in half. It should be at least Perma on SOs.

Acid Mortar -  Reduce recharge slightly. This is probably one of the better balanced powers in Traps

Force Field Gen - The power itself is perfect. I'd prefer if the FFG drone was better affixed to your character though. Or it didn't have clipping box. It gets 'lost' too easy in the crowd which can lead to some untimely deaths.

Poison Trap - Turn this back into the proc bomb it used to be! ... But on a more serious note, this power is also pretty good. I'd leave it as-is.

Seeker Drones - Increase the PBAOE radius of the debuff. Increase their travel speed and slightly reduce recharge.

Trip Mine - Take Trip Mine and Time Bomb and combine them into "Remote Bomb" or some such. A near clone of Omega Maneuver.

Time Bomb - New level 32 Power. And I have two different ideas.

Idea 1 : "Mobilize Tech"Triage Beacon and Acid Mortar are turned into mobilized versions of themselves. Which now follow you around like psuedo pets. Also provides a small (20%~) recharge bonus. Maybe some low-level stealth too. This is an auto power

Idea 2 : "Transference Field" - You summon a "Transference Field" at the targeted location. The Field is fairly large, 15-20 yards. The field pulses every few moments. Each time it pulses it applies a debuff on the mob (-Dmg, -End, -Rch) and transfers that over to any allies (including caster) in range. Giving them a (non stacking) +Dmg, +Recharge and +End Recovery buff. Once they leave the field the buff wears off after a few seconds. Recharge 240 seconds, duration 60. (Or maybe 120/30)

Masterminds could get a slightly altered version so they could cast it more easily on their minions without having to send them into melee range.

Cottage Rule is probably broken with that last power, but I made sure the replacement power was at least offensive in nature in both cases. Acid Mortar Drones would mean you could potentially have 2 of them following you in most cases, leading to some nice debuffage and proc potential.  The offensive potential of "Transference Field" is a mix of SB and Fulcrum Shift. But not quite as hefty. I'm thinking of something like 30-50% DMG, Stamina-level Recovery buff and maybe 30% recharge buff (Defender Numbers)

I agree that with a proper build, normal content should be pretty easy. But I don’t think that normal content != solo +4/x8. 

And FYI I have a spine/fire that I play +4/x8. I’m not looking to call for nerfs, but I wouldn’t be too upset if some power sets or ATs were brought down.

Someone else mentioned being Superman.  I don’t think in this game there was ever the idea for the player to be Superman.  Metropolis only needs one Superman and we have thousands of heroes.

Invul could solo +4 /8 battle maiden pre IO and incarnate, does that mean invul should have its s/l lowered?

Sets allowed you to take invul and resist psy, and all the rest of the damage types better.

The whole purpose of IO sets was to allow for the user to work really hard to uber power their character however they would like, or fail and break them. 

The purpose of incarnate was to become lile statesman which was CoH Superman.

If you are bored the measuring stick shouldnt be radio missions, go do an incarnate trial set to +4 or A high level task force other than the ITF on +4.

Theres stuff out there that can challenge any team.

If you are bored with normal missions with your rricked out incarnate roll another toon.

If you are bored with teaming with uber incarnate dont team with them.

But dont blame those of us that Want to be uber powered superheroes and think its fun and awesome when there are a ton of other options at your disposal to play your way.

Bringing us down isnt the right answer when there are endless avenues to take to avoid what you are talking about.

But IMHO, it should be impossible to solo regardless of build/level/IO sets anything at +4/x8.  Even Superman has his limits...and sometimes even he needs his friends to help him out.  And this is more a philosophical question that we'd all have to get on the same page before we look at solutions to how that would work.  If the overwhelming consensus is "no...no...no, I need to be UBER and be able to defeat anything" then it's pointless to debate, because we aren't even in the same mindset to have the discussion.  I'm not saying wanting to be UBER is bad or wrong, just for me, it's not fun.  I want the challenge.  I want to know that even with the best build, there is only like a 5% chance I could solo an AV at +3, and there is no chance, w/o help, that I could do it at +4.  That's my mindset...And if we go with my mindset, then we have to include IO's in the discussion.  But like I said, if you disagree, you disagree, and that's OK.  I think I'm sadly in the minority here, and like 0th power said, I'll still probably play...just won't have quite as much fun...

Speaking from a tanks perspective, How many ordinary people without kryptonite can superman beat?  The whole world / worlds probably?  If you spend 300+ mil on iOs and can't solo +4/8 s/l or even nrg fire cold and psy you have gone wrong.  Guess what on mine toxic can kill me - give one of the billions on the planet a kryptonite gun Super is gone.

It's working as intended and there is hugh level content that challenges incarnate, I know because we do it just about every night on excelsior, come see if you wish.

You don't fight ordinary people in this game.  Everyone you fight is extraordinary in some way...You never have a battle with 200 lvl 0 citizens...

As I said, there are MANY problems that Superman can't solve alone, and he needs friends for...And honestly there is only 1 Superman in the DC Universe [well, except for Superboy, Jonathan, Kal-el (who's back), Cyborg Superman, Supergirl, Krypto (okay there isn't really just one)], but the idea still stands that in a city of 80K Superheroes, we can't all be Superman (or Statesman either)...We can get really close, but the game should still have limits for ALL heroes that preclude them from soloing +4/8 with AV's.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

You don't fight ordinary people in this game.  Everyone you fight is extraordinary in some way...You never have a battle with 200 lvl 0 citizens...

As I said, there are MANY problems that Superman can't solve alone, and he needs friends for...And honestly there is only 1 Superman in the DC Universe [well, except for Superboy, Jonathan, Kal-el (who's back), Cyborg Superman, Supergirl, Krypto (okay there isn't really just one)], but the idea still stands that in a city of 80K Superheroes, we can't all be Superman (or Statesman either)...We can get really close, but the game should still have limits for ALL heroes that preclude them from soloing +4/8 with AV's.

there was a time before purple triangles you could solo +4 /8 with AVs with just SOs it was actually pretty easy, then came the purple triangles where you almost always had to have a rad to beat an AV. Now I think it's pretty good because with a lot of work, planning and high end builds you can take on an AV solo again.

Like I said if that irks you slot SOs and play with other people that wants to spend 10 minutes to hammer 1 lesser AV target down.  I like feeling overpowered in my build I spent all the time on and so does the 30 or 40 of us in our coalition.

We are playing end game content at high levels and still occassionaly have a team wipe.

If you aren't being challenged end game you aren't doing it right.  Incarnate should be able to solo +4/8 radio / regular missions.  I can't tell you the last time I played a radio mission or regular contact mission. That's why there are Itrial and end game task forces.

Invul could solo +4 /8 battle maiden pre IO and incarnate, does that mean invul should have its s/l lowered?

Sets allowed you to take invul and resist psy, and all the rest of the damage types better.

The whole purpose of IO sets was to allow for the user to work really hard to uber power their character however they would like, or fail and break them. 

The purpose of incarnate was to become lile statesman which was CoH Superman.

If you are bored the measuring stick shouldnt be radio missions, go do an incarnate trial set to +4 or A high level task force other than the ITF on +4.

Theres stuff out there that can challenge any team.

If you are bored with normal missions with your rricked out incarnate roll another toon.

If you are bored with teaming with uber incarnate dont team with them.

But dont blame those of us that Want to be uber powered superheroes and think its fun and awesome when there are a ton of other options at your disposal to play your way.

Bringing us down isnt the right answer when there are endless avenues to take to avoid what you are talking about.

I think you are reading more into the what I am saying than I actually am. I never said I was bored.  I never called for nerfs. And I never said I didn’t want to team with incarnates.

+4/x8 with AVs is still a gross simplification of difficulty. +4/x8 Council is a completely different level of challenge from +4/8 Carnies or +4/x8 Vanguard. When we start to have builds that can solo anything at +4/8 (i.e. Superman levels of power), then it's probably time to start looking at maybe nerfing things, but right now we're actually looking at builds that can solo some enemy groups and AVs at +4/8 which is more corresponding to something like Hulk: ridiculously powerful and not unique in their level of power, but not omnipotent. All of this goes to say that having dozens of heroes in Paragon City able to solo at +4/x8 is ok and consistent with most superhero universes, and we haven't yet crossed the line where we have even one player controller Superman running around.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.