anyone tried storm / ice?

honoroit

has anyone tried out storm / ice?

it seems that frigid protection (30ft), cold damage on the whole, and frozen aura might be nice with (anything) storm.

ive tried storm/elec affinity, and enjoy that, but am so upset by empowering circuit being expensive and underpowered -> because it doesnt stack.

so I'll probably focus on blaster for storm, as Im super happy with how seismic/kin works and havent the strength for another kin right now.

spacer.png

(so far, on blasters, i think the real winner this patch is psi. my psi/mental is like a fortunata with no nonsense now its got extra cones.)

I am playing a storm/ice blaster, currently level 28 and its going pretty well. I slotted frigid protection with 2 heals and a slow so between that, ice patch and all the kb/repel in storm blast it makes for a pretty hardy blaster even without any def or res. My only real complaint about Storm blast is the T8 single target, cloudburst - it cast time is ok, but it takes extra time for the animation of the storm cloud to move to the target before it even starts doing damage then the damage takes nearly 3 seconds to finish - it's DPA may look good, but in groups I find it almost a waste of time to cast on anything but bosses and solo it just doesn't kill fast enough. I find I am missing gust, which I dropped when I respecced at 27. The damage isn't great unless you have storm cell up, but its fast casting and fast recharge. Hailstones is ok , the DoT on that attack is so fast (1s) you don't even notice it.  Love the animation on the snipe.

One interesting thing I did notice with storm blast when comparing Blasters and Sentinel's is that the sent's storm blast is very close in base damage to the blaster version, like only 5% less and while the Sent loses the snipe (getting a decent tier 3 blast in its place) they get a 90s recharge tier 9. which on my L29 Storm/Regen Sentinel is up almost every other set of mobs. Storm cell + Category Five = Chaos.

Just an FYI - I have found that you can use water blast in Mids as a rough placeholder for storm blast, at least as far as enhancement set slotting goes - the first 4 powers match up almost perfectly (2 single target, a ranged AOE (water burst) and a location AOE (Whirlpool).  Dehydrate mostly works for direct strike, you just can't slot snipe sets and water jet/steam spray mostly match up to cloudburst/chain lightning, just level swapped.

Edited by Midnight Mystique
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Storm/Ice Blaster is what I've chosen for my first try at Storm Blast.  Ice wasn't chosen for any particular power gaming reason but rather I didn't have an /ice blaster in my stable.  I'm currently level 30 via pure grinding red side with SOs + a few handy IOs (Stealth, Panacea proc, Kismet +ToHit) and taking all the Storm powers.

Despite using some cold damage Storm doesn't stack any -rch/-spd with Ice so I'm not seeing any particular synergies other than Ice is pretty good, Storm seems to be pretty good and they don't work at cross purposes.  Ice demands to be in melee and Storm accommodates that for the most part, with the very notable exception of a cone that I do try to spam as a bread and butter aoe.

I think if I were to "power game" a Storm Blaster I'd pair it with /TA for the 2 aggro free actions that debuff enemy to-hit.

I used Seismic as my Storm proxy in Mids.  I had assumed the chain attack was ST like Jolting Chain or Synaptic Overload but it actually takes range aoe sets so it's not the perfect 1-1 I was expecting.  Still, I'm not going to change the Mids build I've started, I'll just work around that one difference.

13 hours ago, honoroit said:

(so far, on blasters, i think the real winner this patch is psi. my psi/mental is like a fortunata with no nonsense now its got extra cones.)

I have found the same thing actually, not meaning to thread jack, but the new cone with a 1 second activation time is very nice, for leveling particularly, or if I have to stay at range, as is having another AoE, even if it is a chain. I do not use the Mental cone due to its long animation, but did find during beta that soft capped S/L/E/R while running Closet of Confusion made for a fun build.

Edited by PyroBeetle
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 2:43 AM, honoroit said:

has anyone tried out storm / ice?

it seems that frigid protection (30ft), cold damage on the whole, and frozen aura might be nice with (anything) storm.

ive tried storm/elec affinity, and enjoy that, but am so upset by empowering circuit being expensive and underpowered -> because it doesnt stack.

so I'll probably focus on blaster for storm, as Im super happy with how seismic/kin works and havent the strength for another kin right now.

spacer.png

Made a stormx2 corr and a storm/ice blaster. Corr was very impressive, blaster not so much. Snipe animation is the best going by far i love it. Having that t2 water blast as an animation for the t3 attack in storm puts me off a lot and in teams you feel like your always waiting for storm cell to recharge and by the time you summon it the mobs been nuked. The aoe cone got dropped even with a kb/kd in its too short range. The aoe is fantastic...if it hits it hits everything. If it misses your standing there getting pummelled as it won't tag anything in the mob. With the corr its just dump the debuff and attack most times as there isn't time to wait for storm cell animation on top. Its one of those blast sets where you need to be aggressive in getting to the mobs ahead of everyone and setting it up, kind of reminds me of playing anything /dark and running ahead to drop tar patch and darkest night before attacking.

So far psi is ahead it got a massive jump in my opinion, especially scramble minds? i think its renamed as. That power on a closely packed mob is hilarious.

And assault rifle is just leaps and bounds ahead of where it was, beanbag and ignite were always insta skips for me but now they just flow into a smooth attack chain now and its a constant stream of dot's on enemies. And full auto is a stupidly massive cone.

Edited by Meknomancer
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1