Fallen out of use?

Techwright

I realized something today when running the weekly and getting hit with a surprising amount of sleeps and other entanglement:  I wasn't notifying the team once I ran out of inspirations to overcome impeding effects.  Then I realized it had been quite a while since I'd seen the "Held" or "Zzzz" notification from team members on an untold number of PUGs.  I used to see it often, especially back in the original game.  Assuming I'm correct and the practice has fallen out of use, why?  I'm guessing it is not just a single reason. 

For me, personally, I don't usually encounter some form of impeding effect that I've not already countered in the build, and when several do happen it's just so unusual to run out of the needed inspirations.  I keep a stock in my mailbox just in case more are needed.  So when, like today, I exhaust both supplies, I've grown slack and it doesn't occur to me to warn the team that they're a man down for a bit.

As a teammate, would you want a player to alert you when they have a crippling effect on them that they cannot quickly overcome? Or does it no longer matter?

• Like 3

With so many set enhancements that reduce mez duration,  it often takes longer to send zzz to chat than to just let it wear off.  Add in our survivability increase and its just not as necessary to prioritize removing mez as often anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

i sometimes wonder whether things like this were more prominent and challenging back on live, or whether i was just awful at playing the game

both is possible 😄

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I never used zzzzzz.  THe only recent use of messages like this was when I was Tanking a Shadow Shard TF and they dimension shift you.  i would tell the team.  Not that they could do anything, but I thought they should know,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

i sometimes wonder whether things like this were more prominent and challenging back on live, or whether i was just awful at playing the game

Depends when you started. When we just had SOs and the like? Clear Mind on autofire, bring an emp.

IOs? Still had it happening with the squishies.

Incarnates? Well, at the upper levels, it seems there's so much defense, resistance, various bubbles, Clarion, etc. that... yeah, not seen much.

Of course, that also depends on what levels you play more of, too. Lower, mid levels, where nobody's really IO'd out? Mez takes more effect. Upper levels? Not so much. Play a lot of MSRs and other raids? So much going on that if you *do* manage to get mezzed in a league, by the time  you're found it's probably worn off (on top ofhaving more inspirations, combining them, etc.)

Game's different, though yeah, some of it seems to be lack of common use, too.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I can say from personal experience I stopped calling out getting mezzed because people stopped carrying the tools to prevent it, and that was a long time ago. A little bit towards IO's, a little bit towards Incarnates, a lot more towards folks trying to find ways to shove things into builds and decided to skip powers they felt sacrificial.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mained an empath for years. I didn't need people to call out mezzes because they weren't mezzed. I kept up with CM to all and Forts on those that would get the most benefit.

That said I haven't seen many calls for bio breaks, so maybe that also fell out of favor (but then again we aren't doing an 8 hour Dr. Q TF anymore).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Writing for myself: It's a little bit of "column A" and a little bit of "column B".

Column A is that there is a lot in the game (besides inspirations) that an individual player can leverage so that most mezzes aren't as problematic for as much content.

Column B is one that I am also guilty of: players may not have the powers to help teammates who are mezzed. The ability to take higher tier powers earlier in the game has (generally) reduced the number of opportunities to pick the sorts of powers we used to have to take. The anti-mezz powers were generally early-ish choices, which was mostly when they were needed. With 20 inspiration slots, I figure most players can decide what they need.

• Like 1

As alot of people pointed out, for alot of reasons, getting held or mezzed just isn't as common. On top of the reasons others have mentioned, I think players in general just play/build better and are more prepared over all. Most squishies I see these days are quick to pop a CM if they get held or just don't get them selves into a position where getting held is likely. Players these days are very aware of how powerful +def is and tend to have things like maneuvers or sets that buff the groups def making getting held even less likely. As other have mentioned bringing IOs into the mix and by the time you call for hold protection it's gone, if you didn't already take clarion to cover that hole in the first place. Due to all of this it's less common for people with sets that have things like CM to take them or use them regularly since they aren't really needed as much.

Honestly, I don't miss getting mezzed more. Out of all the things power creep has done, making getting mezzed for long periods of time less common is one of the ones I am most ok with. IMO Hold were always too long from a enemy standpoint, no one like being force to sit there for like 20 seconds doing nothing.

• Like 1

Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker                                               Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker        

I did a “Zzzz” call just this week as we had an emp on the team. Someone replied “???”, asked me to explain, so I said “On live…”. Felt pretty old. 

184092C7-3B6C-4CAE-A1BF-6BFECD66190C.jpeg

• Haha 6

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

Typing "zzz" was never effective on live either; I just assume people learned to give up after all these years.

If you think the average coh player has the presence of mind to 1) read your chat message promptly, 2) have taken the appropriate antimez power, 3) select the matching name from the party list, 4) activate the power, and 5) do steps 1-4 before the mez wears off, I have a lucrative investment opportunity involving a Nigerian prince you might also be interested in.

• Haha 2

Only time I've seen it used (other than by me) was when we were doing a Storm Summoning team for two weeks and everyone had O2 Boost. Since we pretty much all had it someone was always available to fix sleep/stun which helped with Malta/Freaks a bit.

-edit- typos

Edited by Zep

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

1 hour ago, dtjunkie said:

/t TheOtherTed, sb

No joke - that, and the phrase "where are the heals?", have caused me to bail TFs.  I even considered doing a scientific study to measure the drop in the average team's IQ when they pick up a Kin defender.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

No joke - that, and the phrase "where are the heals?", have caused me to bail TFs.  I even considered doing a scientific study to measure the drop in the average team's IQ when they pick up a Kin defender.

HLZ PLZ!@!!!!eleven!!

jumps out of melee range right before transfusion hits

Between better knowledge of the mechanics of the game (all hail Uberguy) and the continuous tools given to us by the HC devs, I, for one, tend to take care of myself.  I carry wakies and breakies and if I screw up on a team I find it hard to believe anyone else would even notice. 

Who run Bartertown?