Ghost Ship: Introduce a little chaos

9 minutes ago, 50caltech said:

Using an old wooden sailing ship would not have worked because there would be no way to tie it into the Family. A modern ship, which can be a ghost ship and there are example stories of modern ghost ships if you look, can be tied into the Family and so fit the story the devs came up with for the Ghost Ship.

Edit: Using a modern ship also meant the devs didn't have to spend the time and resources making another ship. Since they were already working on the ship's internal map(s), they could just add an exterior model to that line of work without having to make a new branch of research into ship design for the game.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:16 AM, srmalloy said:

Despite its description in the paragonwiki page, the actual ship model is a Great Lakes bulk freighter, not a tanker, as are all of the large merchant vessels in the game; tankers wouldn't have the row of hatch covers over the cargo bays, and would have piping on the main deck to allow for loading and unloading their tanks. As a side note, the ship maps are inaccurate; bulk freighters have separate cargo compartments under each deck hatch to minimize how much shifting cargo can affect the trim of the ship, not the enormous empty bays that we see, and they're all separate watertight spaces to limit flooding.

Okay, I'm a tad confused. Trying to clear it up as I type.

I'd always assumed the Moraine was a cargo ship of some kind that was lost at sea in a storm.  Despite the "Great Lakes" bit, a bulk freighter fits, and it's not a long shot to say one exits via the St. Lawrence Seaway, and travels the coast to Rhode Island.  I was initially unclear where you saw mention of a tanker because I first looked at the page "Ghost Ship" on the Homecoming wiki.  The quoted descriptions there refer to the ghost ship as a fishing trawler, which the ghost ship most certainly does not look like.  (Has too many crew for a trawler as well.)  Then I went to the Ghost Hunter Badge page and discovered that in the quoted descriptions there, the Moraine is referred to as an oil tanker probably used for smuggling.

So perhaps, maybe the initial suggestion should be for a little consistency in the story dialog.  Change the type of ship and its description everywhere to fit the look that already exists: a bulk freighter.  Then add in all the suggested chaos effects.

I'm not quite sure how we wove a pirate sailing vessel into the established story.  I thought the discussion was pointing towards adding a suggestion for a ghost ship to be added to the Rogue Islands that would be a pirate sailing ship.  How did that alter to get tangled with the Moraine?  Poor ship has gone through too many iterations already! 😞

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Okay, I'm a tad confused. Trying to clear it up as I type.

I'd always assumed the Moraine was a cargo ship of some kind that was lost at sea in a storm.  Despite the "Great Lakes" bit, a bulk freighter fits, and it's not a long shot to say one exits via the St. Lawrence Seaway, and travels the coast to Rhode Island.  I was initially unclear where you saw mention of a tanker because I first looked at the page "Ghost Ship" on the Homecoming wiki.  The quoted descriptions there refer to the ghost ship as a fishing trawler, which the ghost ship most certainly does not look like.  (Has too many crew for a trawler as well.)  Then I went to the Ghost Hunter Badge page and discovered that in the quoted descriptions there, the Moraine is referred to as an oil tanker probably used for smuggling.

So perhaps, maybe the initial suggestion should be for a little consistency in the story dialog.  Change the type of ship and its description everywhere to fit the look that already exists: a bulk freighter.  Then add in all the suggested chaos effects.

I'm not quite sure how we wove a pirate sailing vessel into the established story.  I thought the discussion was pointing towards adding a suggestion for a ghost ship to be added to the Rogue Islands that would be a pirate sailing ship.  How did that alter to get tangled with the Moraine?  Poor ship has gone through too many iterations already! 😞

Here are the links:

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Ghost_Ship

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Paragon_Times/20041201

I don't know why the homcoming wiki calls it a fishing trawler. It was never a fishing trawler.

• Thumbs Up 1

how about ghost ship travels from zone to zone picking up random mobs along the way? if it encounters a zone where an event is already taking place a war between events occurs. all ghost mobs scale to players level. Ghost ship can travel to ANY zone red/blue/gold side. 

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

• 7 months later

Resurrecting this post to add two thoughts:

1. The ghosts appear in static clusters and don't move until attacked.  Can we get ghosts that hover, keeping pace with the ship unless attacked?  They can be spaced out more than the clusters currently in the game.

2. Passing through the ship right now gives a minor effect, essentially a ghostly chill.  Can we have a more potent, perhaps random, negative affect for coming into contact with the ship?  Why contact the ship then? Possibilities:  1- contact happens accidentally in combat with the suggested spirits in point #1.  2- the ship could have a pull on those flying near it, much like the gravity pets of controllers, but perhaps stronger.  3- a potential badge for spending a notable amount of time within the "hull" of the ship.  4 - in connection with @biostem's May 2 suggestion, have a GM ghost captain in the ship, likely necessitating entrance to the ship to combat him.

Mmm...

How about treat the Ghost ship as a GM, and as you attack it, it defends itself by sending ghosts at you with the ghosts being at your level and no more tougher than minion. The number of ghosts does not exceed 3 per player attacking it, also the ship can fire its Ghostly Cannons (negative energy) and do GM like damage accordingly. When you finally defeat teh Ghost ship you get merit rewards for it.

Sue

9 minutes ago, MsSmart said:

Mmm...

How about treat the Ghost ship as a GM, and as you attack it, it defends itself by sending ghosts at you with the ghosts being at your level and no more tougher than minion. The number of ghosts does not exceed 3 per player attacking it, also the ship can fire its Ghostly Cannons (negative energy) and do GM like damage accordingly. When you finally defeat teh Ghost ship you get merit rewards for it.

Sue

Freighters don't have cannons.

3 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

To quote Jack Sparrow.

PIRATE....

To quote the wiki and in game reference data: modern freighter used by the Family for smuggling. (Edit: And when you're smuggling, you don't want to attract unnecessary attention to the transport/cargo. Adding cannons to a freighter? Is going to get a lot of unnecessary attention, particularly from the port authorities, the Coast Guard, and the Navy. Very much increasing the likelihood of being boarded and searched, and the smuggled goods being found.)

Edited by Rudra