Reduce the activation time of Storm Cell

5 minutes ago, Puma said:

Yeah! It's the "this cottage was built last week!" rule.  😕

One argument made for changing Intensify during beta was that Storm Cell's accuracy was tied to the player's, not at the time of casting, but all the way through.  So once you lost the to-hit boost from Intensify, so did the lightning strikes in storm cell.  At that time it had a base accuracy of 1.x so it meant end game stuff was going to get missed a LOT by Storm Cell.  I believe that was upped to 1.4 or so for lightning, and the winds were made autohit?  I can't recall right now and can't log in to find out.   

High Winds is 1.0 while all the lightnings are 1.15. And since players can crank the hell out of their accuracy with other powers and with set bonuses, I don't see that as a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Intensify is Storm Blast's Aim. Why should it last longer than the 10 seconds every other Aim power lasts?

For the most OBVIOUS reason, that most of storm blasts focus is on the pseudopets, which last longer and don't have the up front burst damage that other sets have. Why does this even need explained? It shouldn't if you have any concept of how the set and pseudopets work...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Puma said:

Yeah! It's the "this cottage was built last week!" rule.  😕

One argument made for changing Intensify during beta was that Storm Cell's accuracy was tied to the player's, not at the time of casting, but all the way through.  So once you lost the to-hit boost from Intensify, so did the lightning strikes in storm cell.  At that time it had a base accuracy of 1.x so it meant end game stuff was going to get missed a LOT by Storm Cell.  I believe that was upped to 1.4 or so for lightning, and the winds were made autohit?  I can't recall right now and can't log in to find out.   

God I wish, it was only upped to 1.15% so it still has issues against higher targets and those with defense powers.

Edit: ergo: long duration low effect to hit/damage rather than a minimally effective 10s "aim". Esp given described above where all attacks should have 100% proc rate anyway using the lockout/target cap of the strikes as justification. (though tbh i'd still like to test 100% proc with no lockout and see where the set would stand then too). But seriously, casting a fully slotted cell, to have it get like one lightning strike after like 5 attacks just feels god awful. And with the issues mentioned around cloudburst, feels even more awful to have to be tied to that power just to help the proc chances. Why the 100% proc rate should really be put in place, and intensify changed (obvoiusly losing the extra proc chance as it would no longer be needed).

Edited by WindDemon21

1 hour ago, WindDemon21 said:

For the most OBVIOUS reason, that most of storm blasts focus is on the pseudopets, which last longer and don't have the up front burst damage that other sets have. Why does this even need explained? It shouldn't if you have any concept of how the set and pseudopets work...

Storm Blast has a whole two pseudo-pets. And 6 attacks. All of which are themselves enhanced by one of the pseudo-pets for a full minute. A pseudo-pet that without Hasten can be brought down to a 37 second recharge, still lasts for the full minute, still enhances all 6 primary attacks from the set, and still debuffs every enemy's ToHit, recharge, and movement while in its radius for the full minute.

I'm sorry that a whole 2 powers in a single set out of 15 power sets are throwing off your entire game. I'm sorry that the base 62.5615 damage of Gust is weaker than the base 62.5615 damage of Fire Blast so it (doesn't?) take any longer to drop targets. (The difference between them? Fire Blast's secondary is a DoT.) I'm sorry that it takes Storm Cell to drive Gust to do an extra 5.307 damage every .4 seconds for 1.5 seconds while also being able to knock fliers out of the sky. I'm sorry that the other 5 attack powers in the set aren't the same as Fire Blast's or Ice Blast's and can use a 1 minute duration pseudo-pet that covers a 25 feet radius to gain improved performance and can be summoned faster than its duration times out once you get your bonuses going. I'm sorry that Storm Cell's lightning is dependent on the character's accuracy despite having things like the Leadership pool that so many argue is a "Absolutely Essential Pool Pick For Absolutely Every Character To Ever Exist" and possesses the ability to improve that accuracy, or things like the Kismet enhancement set with its special enhancement giving a global accuracy bonus, or things like set bonuses granting global accuracy bonuses so that even if you don't try to max out your accuracy and don't use things ike the Kismet, you are stuck with a measly 113.5% chance to hit mobs 7 levels higher than you.

So OBVIOUSLY we need to change Intensify so that it has a longer duration. And of course, that will never lead to calls for every other version of Aim to also be extended for duration to match. And that will never in turn lead to demands that every form of Build Up also get boosted to match. Thus requiring Intensify to again get boosted because it obviously needs it to make up for the Storm Blast set's completely abysmal accuracy.

Tell me something. Do you take Fire Breath from the Fire Blast set? If not, why not? How about Flamethrower or Ignite or Beanbag from the Assault Rifle set? Frost Breath from Ice Blast? We're talking about 2 whole powers. One of which is both enhanced by the six attack powers in the set and also enhances those same six powers at the same time. Six attack powers that I have yet to experience any more or less difficulty in taking down mobs than I do with any other power set. Without using Storm Cell.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 hour ago, Puma said:

First, thanks.   Second,.  again, you're assuming that the caster is doing nothing but spamming Storm Blast powers this entire time, which has been a huge part of my problem with the set, as explained here. I can think of no other set in the game that has made me feel like I can't use any of my other attacks or I'm missing out.  Am I correct that  you're also basing these numbers on it being three slotted for damage? I think we should be using non-enhanced numbers when we compare powers, personally.

As I said above though, Cat 5 is the least of my concerns with the set.  I think Storm Cell is the real issue.  Just for clarity's sake, none of the above affects and numbers of Cat 5 require Storm Cell to be active, do they?

Three slotting for damage should not matter as it's the difference between what you are comparing more than their individual values. Dividing the results posted by 1.95 will give the raw results:

Blizzard = 16 targets * 824.1402 = 13,186.2432 dam / 6762.176

Cat 5 = 16 targets * 131.0008 = 2,096.0128 / 1074.8783

Eye Wall = 10 targets * 628.7381 = 6,287.3810 / 3224.2979

Cat 5 Lightning = 5 targets * 121.9949 = 609.9745 / 312.8074

Total = 8,993.3683  / 4611.9837

Total = 20,582.8838 possible damage / 10,555.325

Comparing these values enhanced/raw will still be the same ratios as they are enhanced by the same 95% too:

Enhanced: Cat 5 No Lightning = 8,383.3938 / Blizzard 13,186.2432 = 63.57%

Raw: Cat 5 No Lightning = 4,299.1763/ Blizzard 6762.176 = 63.57%

None of the numbers rely on Storm Cell as posted above, just on Cat 5 + Being able to throw in Storm powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:17 AM, AxerJ said:

For the ability we're using every fight, the activation time is kind of annoying.

Who said it was designed to be used "every fight"?

It isn't an auto power nor is it a toggle power.

I think of it more like domination that I can use more often.

It isn't meant to be "perma" but, if that really is your goal, then you can probably achieve it through the same methods as perma-hasten or perma-dom.

Personally, I don't think that is necessary. 

It seems to stay up until it is almost time to cast it again. It just doesn't move that quickly and has to be lead into a battle the same way that is necessary with phantom army or carrion creepers.

As it is now, it feels delayed. Not a great feeling.

"instant gratification" is what is required?

especially since we depend on this ability for every other ability.

I don't depend on Storm Cell for every other ability.

I build my other powers to do what they do.

Storm Cell does what it does, but also enhances.

It can be used far more often than any build-up or like temp buff.

Perhaps figure out how to use the power set without Storm Cell?

Once you do that then Storm Cell is just icing on the cake.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Who said it was designed to be used "every fight"?

It isn't an auto power nor is it a toggle power.

I think of it more like domination that I can use more often.

It isn't meant to be "perma" but, if that really is your goal, then you can probably achieve it through the same methods as perma-hasten or perma-dom.

Personally, I don't think that is necessary. 

It seems to stay up until it is almost time to cast it again. It just doesn't move that quickly and has to be lead into a battle the same way that is necessary with phantom army or carrion creepers.

"instant gratification" is what is required?

I don't depend on Storm Cell for every other ability.

I build my other powers to do what they do.

Storm Cell does what it does, but also enhances.

It can be used far more often than any build-up or like temp buff.

Perhaps figure out how to use the power set without Storm Cell?

Once you do that then Storm Cell is just icing on the cake.

Except all the other powers do literal crap on their own without storm cell. Gust, loses damage, Direct Strike, basically no secondary effect, jet stream, pretty much completely unusable with it's repel without it, Cloudburst, on top of even with it it's slow animation/trajectory/dot, it literally doesn't even have a side effect without storm cell, chain lightning DEAR GOD did you miss all the points I mentioned about how literally every stat about the power is terrible and not viable? though this is still even WITH storm cell, and intensify, well without it its a very measly damage boost. The. Set. Relies. On. Storm. Cell.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

. If anything, IMO the fact it lasts a while means in any situation where you have more than 16 people (ITF fights for example) it will do WAY more output as you keep tossing targets at it.  

To be fair, Blizzard (which you used as a comparison) is the same in this regard. While it's capped at 16 targets, as targets die, it keeps dishing out full damage as long as more are running into the field of affect. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Puma said:

To be fair, Blizzard (which you used as a comparison) is the same in this regard. While it's capped at 16 targets, as targets die, it keeps dishing out full damage as long as more are running into the field of affect. 

Right! Similarly, Cat 5 and Storm Cell to an extent also do this but have more time to toss folks in.

To me, it just feels like the set shines in scenarios where you can make a "perfect storm" / scales upwards very well when it comes to chewing through MANY targets big or small. Its a matter of finding those scenarios tho 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:06 PM, Puma said:

You literally cut my quote off, explaining why, with this set, it ISN"T a good thing.  It's middle/low in the single target category but its AoEs are ultra weak.  So -every one- of those other sets gets ahead because they ALSO have AoEs that do their damage up front, regardless of you choosing not to use your weaker tier 1-2 powers. 

Think of it this way.  You and seven friends are going to race together.  Not really for anything more than just fun. 

I give each of you a pair of roller skates, a bicycle, a dirt bike, and a car.  The kicker is, you can only use each for 1 minute at a time in this race. You have to cycle through them as you race.    

Your skate and bicycle are just about exactly like your friends': all pretty standard.  

But I have set it so your dirt bike's engine doesn't start unless you push it with your roller skates several dozen feet to kick start it.  No one else's does that, but hey, it gives yours flavor! Then I made it so your car only goes zero to 60 in 45 seconds, when you friends all go from 0-60 in 10 seconds...but I did give your car a chance to turbo boost for an additional 10 MPH, but only as long as you strap your bike on the back each time you start it.    

When you complain that you have no chance to not only win the race, but even keep up with your friends, so it doesn't feel fun, my response is "If you don't like your dirty bike, I mean, you still have the exact same skates and bicycle as everyone else."   

THAT is Storm Blast.  We're still trying to strap the bike on and off every fight while our friends are two miles down the road. 

I admit, i'm one of those friends who not only has all the better stuff but even has a superior racing line, so to speak, so I'm gonna be even further ahead and lap ya in this analogy :D.  And yeah, my blaster runs rings around other blasters as it is (just due to how I play her) let alone storm blasters.

• Haha 2

On 5/5/2023 at 7:23 AM, JasperStone said:

It has been said in other threads about other ATs and powersets ...  the game is balanced around SOs.

Maybe it is time to look at balancing the enemies we face to our abilities.

So change the game so the difficulty is balanced around what a min/maxed character can do instead? 

No. 

Because that would make the game literally unplayable for the people who just want to log in and have some fun beating up bad guys and don't want to spend hours outside the game poring over spreadsheets trying to make their character 0.001% more efficient at taking down mobs. 

If you want more challenging enemies that don't die in seconds, the content in Dark Astoria exists. If that was what the general population of the game wanted the zone would be crowded with players looking for more of a challenge. The fact that DA is generally a ghost town and I see people looking to form Council radio mission teams is anecdotal evidence that people generally don't want enemies made harder to beat. They have that option already and choose to fight the things that die in seconds instead. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ClawsandEffect said:

If you want more challenging enemies that don't die in seconds, the content in Dark Astoria exists.

While it's true that the critters in DA can be nasty, once you get your level boost to +3 they're actually pretty easy.  You are fighting level 54 enemies, but they are only +1 to you.

If you really want a challenge, use the challenge modes in Ouro and TFs and run it at +4/x8.  Player debuffed and NPCs buffed is crazy hard.

• 3 weeks later
On 5/17/2023 at 7:43 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

While it's true that the critters in DA can be nasty, once you get your level boost to +3 they're actually pretty easy.  You are fighting level 54 enemies, but they are only +1 to you.

If you really want a challenge, use the challenge modes in Ouro and TFs and run it at +4/x8.  Player debuffed and NPCs buffed is crazy hard.

FIRE BASE ZULU!

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?