Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Homecoming Server Update (April 28th): Indomitable & Everlasting!

I'm glad you guys have like a shred of moral fiber to actually directly denounce the other server soliciting donations unlike some places that are basically tacitly endorsing something that could basically get all of us completely fucked.

Genuinely thanks for having basic foresight for the future.

Reconnecting

We released a small update this morning which should allow you to skip the queue if you disconnected in the last 10 minutes. This will allow you to get back into the game in the event of a crash, internet outage, or unfortunate mapserver encounter without having to go through another long wait.

This feature is still very much experimental, so there’s no guarantee it’ll work under all circumstances - please let us know how it works (or doesn’t work) for you!

----

It didn't, lolol!! I logged, Queued at 180 or so, got in, managed to get a full Sewer Group built and DC'd 3 minutes into it. Server was 2 Green (Excelsior) and it dropped me into Queue at 356. So, it still has some kinks to work out, hahahahah!!!

Ok, I double logged and got back in past the Queue, but i DC'd 45 seconds later,  and my toon got stuck in-game. Hahahahaa!! I'm having way too much fun to even care about the DC's. The Old Servers had the exact same issue anyway, so its simply more Nostalgia for me! But it is working for the most part, just can't get my toon back out.

P.S. My Entire squad DC'd right along with me, and everyone else in the sewers in Atlas Park. So it was a big Map Server.

Just ignore the ingrates and complainers, the people who can't remember that there is a team of good people doing this for free, out of their love for the game.

Thank you for everything, and everything you continue to do.

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

My thanks as well, but I was just wondering if we could get an update? I haven't managed to play at all today, and even now, the 2 new servers are grey, the original 2 show heavy load, but you can't even get into queue, it just thinks for a bit then network errors you out to the login screen. I was hoping the my advanced degree in lack of sleep would get me some play time after folks went to bed :)

I've been having the exact same issue. I can get to character select on excelsior but then it won't let me actually log into any characters. Torchbearer won't even let me get to the character select. All this is after i got mapped during a group after the new update adding the new servers which now are grayed out.

Hi team(s),

I too would like to express my appreciation for something that I had not thought would happen soon, if ever: the resurrection of my favorite MMORPG.

One suggestion about Server Names: if it is still true (I am not sure) that there are always too few Villains, when compared to Heroes, might it be a good idea to evenly divide server names between the two? For instance:

Desperado

Penumbra

NOTE I am not talking about different server *settings*. Just an even distribution between Heroes & Villains.

Just a thought :)

Good luck with the project!

Luke aka CoHerence

Hi team(s),

I too would like to express my appreciation for something that I had not thought would happen soon, if ever: the resurrection of my favorite MMORPG.

One suggestion about Server Names: if it is still true (I am not sure) that there are always too few Villains, when compared to Heroes, might it be a good idea to evenly divide server names between the two? For instance:

Desperado

Penumbra

NOTE I am not talking about different server *settings*. Just an even distribution between Heroes & Villains.

The servers are Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting, and Indomitable.  Technically, these are hero/villain non-specific.  Torchbearer doesn't mean hero specifically... Excelsior is something Stan Lee said all the time, and while he's famous for his heroes, he also made and published villains too.  Everlasting and Indomitable are likewise neutral; they sound heroic, but could equally be applied to villains.  The names we have are great, and I applaud the Homecoming team for the inspirational naming of these servers which is obviously intended to indicate that we all --heroes and villains alike-- are still standing strong in our support for this game.

Thanks for all your hard work. I'll be keeping an eye on how I can contribute if such a chance appears. This opportunity to come back to CoH is more than I could've ever hoped for and I've only played for an hour or so! ^_^

Hey folks,

It’s been a pretty wild weekend so far! Yesterday we had over 8,000 people trying to play the game at once. I say trying, because, well, many of you were stuck in an everlasting queue.

The ‘/coxg/’ Server & Donations

Before I go on, we need to make one thing clear: We are in no way associated with the other server that is publicly asking for donations (for a server that isn’t even online). This is incredibly dangerous, selfish, and reckless behaviour, and has a very good chance of getting not only their operation shut down, but ours as well. If you want to be able to continue playing this game, please do not engage with or promote what that team is doing.

Telling people not to "engage" with other teams comes off as is if you are actively attempting to stop other private servers progress.

You also failed to detail the differences of why publicly funding a free shard is dangerous or selfish, but privately funding one is not.

I thought he made it pretty clear.  This is flying somewhat under NCSOFTs radar because no money is changing hands.  The instant people start or potentially start making money off of their IP NCSOFT will almost certainly start taking legal action to completely shutdown anyone using their IP.  This should be obvious to any intelligent person.  So yes, it is irresponsible and reckess by anyone that does this.

Hi team(s),

Desperado

Penumbra

Good luck with the project!

Luke aka CoHerence

Villain/Hero population won't be an issue as more and more people realize that you can go to Null the Gull in Pocket D at any time and change sides.

Ah...so many "first world problems"!

First...my inner evil human nature tends to complain first, without thinking, and usually I regret it, after being able to put myself in the other person's shoes.

In this case, although I'm a bit frustrated at not being able to play at this moment, I'm quite thankful for the following:

1. Two weekends in a row, I've been able to play the only MMO I've ever enjoyed.

2. The P2W makes the low levels so much more tolerable. Nothing worse than firing one attack and then having to wait what seems like forever (when it's usually a couple of seconds) to execute it again.

3. I'm also grateful for what I can only imagine is an homage to the great Stan Lee, naming a shard "Excelsior". On an aside, when I was a kid, my dictionary said excelsior was the wood shavings old manufacturers would use to pack their goods in to try avoid damage to their products while in transit. I always found it odd that Stan Lee would use such a thing in place of "Regards" or "Yours truly", but I guess there was a second definition (that Google shows me now - but when I was 12 and reading Marvel, we didn't have Google...or the internet for that matter).

I'm not as tech savvy as I would like. I've taken some computer programming way back before CoH existed..some C++, some Java and later looked at some Visual Basic and C#. Frankly, I'm good at problem solving, okay at logic, but the fact that these people can make all these 0's and 1's work to even get the music on the login screen to play correctly is pretty awesome. To think that my avatar/character is on a team with someone half way across the country, or even the globe and we're beating up on some nasty Arachnos...well, that's amazing! I think many take this for granted, as it's been around their whole life. That's not the case with me. So, pretty grateful to get to play these past two weekends.

I am cautiously optimistic that my new favorite toon, Blister, a level 34 Sentinel Fire/Radiation, on Excelsior will be able to do some of that newer content on the new maps - I was just assigned this chap, whom I thought was one of those guys ...Cimeroa? I think..as he was dressed kind of like that, but it's something different I've not played yet, except on a team and would like to do that one again, solo, so I can soak it in at my pace.

Just wish I could wave my magic wand or snap my fingers and let my inner-millennial out and play now!

Hey folks,

It’s been a pretty wild weekend so far! Yesterday we had over 8,000 people trying to play the game at once. I say trying, because, well, many of you were stuck in an everlasting queue.

The ‘/coxg/’ Server & Donations

Before I go on, we need to make one thing clear: We are in no way associated with the other server that is publicly asking for donations (for a server that isn’t even online). This is incredibly dangerous, selfish, and reckless behaviour, and has a very good chance of getting not only their operation shut down, but ours as well. If you want to be able to continue playing this game, please do not engage with or promote what that team is doing.

Telling people not to "engage" with other teams comes off as is if you are actively attempting to stop other private servers progress.

You also failed to detail the differences of why publicly funding a free shard is dangerous or selfish, but privately funding one is not.

I thought he made it pretty clear.  This is flying somewhat under NCSOFTs radar because no money is changing hands.  The instant people start or potentially start making money off of their IP NCSOFT will almost certainly start taking legal action to completely shutdown anyone using their IP.  This should be obvious to any intelligent person.  So yes, it is irresponsible and reckess by anyone that does this.

A good example of this is looking at the various fan made Starwars movies and what happened with the recent Star Wars Theory made movie(s) there is a fine line there in terms of what can be got away with when you don't charge money versus trying to profit from someone else's IP which puts everything in jeopardy for everyone.

Agreed. I am incredibly impressed and grateful to y'all.  I didn't fully realize how much I missed this until I got back in.

Indomitable runs extremely well.  Thank you so much for all that the team has done.  You've come a long way, baby, as the saying goes....in just a couple weeks no less!  I was there for the first night on Torchbearer, and even if the lag had stayed that bad, I would still have played CoX every week, that's how much I love it.

Thanks again!