Misconceptions about a tank

Diantane

On 5/16/2023 at 1:54 AM, Ashford said:

... the only reason a Tanker would actually need a taunt at all is if the Tanker rolled a more single target AT like Energy Melee. 

Taunt is also a really great debuff. The -100% range is really solid. So even if someone is coming into melee they're going to come closer to shoot you.

• Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

2 hours ago, Xiddo said:

Taunt is also a really great debuff. The -100% range is really solid. So even if someone is coming into melee they're going to come closer to shoot you.

And don't forget the +psi damage proc in the Perfect Zinger set.  Conceptually, it is hilarious to me that a tank can cause mental harm by intimidation 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

On 5/15/2023 at 8:50 PM, Nyghtmaire said:

Useful for grabbing more groups to a kill-zone. Keep feeding the wood chipper. Notwithstanding agree wholeheartedly (half my tanks take taunt, for what it’s worth).

This. Taunt isn't for taunting what's near you.  It's a 70ft range, 15ft radius, 5 target, autohit, 41s Taunt w/-100% range debuff, and it has a base recharge of 10 seconds.   Nothing else does all that.  Sure, you can run around aura taunting or punch voking stuff, but it's a weaker taunt, it takes longer, and it doesn't debuff range, meaning you might have to keep running around to keep those enemies taunted.  You could use a ranged AoE if you have one, but it's probably better off used against a nice packed spawn.  Typically, I pick the best concentration of enemies to land amidst and taunt them close.  The rest have to be collected either by running around or range taunting.  Taunt makes that easier.  Needed?  Course not.  Nothing ever is.   But like any build choice, you weight it against what you will have in its place.  The nice thing about Taunt is it doesn't need any extra slots.  I put a +5 boosted recharge in it and that's that.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PLVRIZR said:

And don't forget the +psi damage proc in the Perfect Zinger set.  Conceptually, it is hilarious to me that a tank can cause mental harm by intimidation 😆

I look at it as "You pissed them off so bad they're unable to think straight."

Imagine some poor bastard having to fight Deadpool.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 hours ago, Gobbledigook said:

I had a lifetime account i bought before launch. Played it for 6 months then never returned lol. Don't know if still active? probably not.

So long as you've got the login info, it still works.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick shout-out to the Tanker Tuesday crew for some teaching-by-example on the use of taunt to pull BIIIIIGGGGG groups together. Great lesson for those of us who are a little late to the tanker party.

So yeah, thanks @Warboss and @PLVRIZR and the rest of the crew!

• Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, Nyghtmaire said:

Quick shout-out to the Tanker Tuesday crew for some teaching-by-example on the use of taunt to pull BIIIIIGGGGG groups together. Great lesson for those of us who are a little late to the tanker party.

So yeah, thanks @Warboss and @PLVRIZR and the rest of the crew!

Thanks, Nyght!  TTT (Tanker Tuesday Tour) is a unique experience, for sure.  Had a player on Everlasting, last Tuesday, say they hadn't joined a TT since Live and was stoked that it was still a thing.  He was on our Hess team and we had a blast.  In some of those large Council base rooms (or caves), we easily had 50+ mobs herded (probably closer to 100).  What a glorious sight/experience.

Seriously, if you haven't experienced a TT event, we'll be on Indom, this coming Tuesday.  We usually run one of the WSTs, but will *always* have a missions team, to assure tanks of all levels have something they can join.  Missions teams usually run 50 content, so levels come quickly...for everyone!

See the running thread, here:

Tanker Tuesdays - Tanker - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

On 5/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, PyroNugget said:

torches and pitchforks for sale in the lobby.

You're selling Fire/Staff Tanks in the lobby? 😉 Or, you just rolled one?

Edited by Warboss

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

4 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

I dunno' a CoH Tank coming at me in this reality of the game would cause me mental harm....

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

1 hour ago, PLVRIZR said:

Thanks, Nyght!  TTT (Tanker Tuesday Tour) is a unique experience, for sure.  Had a player on Everlasting, last Tuesday, say they hadn't joined a TT since Live and was stoked that it was still a thing.  He was on our Hess team and we had a blast.  In some of those large Council base rooms (or caves), we easily had 50+ mobs herded (probably closer to 100).  What a glorious sight/experience.

Seriously, if you haven't experienced a TT event, we'll be on Indom, this coming Tuesday.  We usually run one of the WSTs, but will *always* have a missions team, to assure tanks of all levels have something they can join.  Missions teams usually run 50 content, so levels come quickly...for everyone!

See the running thread, here:

Tanker Tuesdays - Tanker - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Take @Diantane with you folks for a Tanker Tuesday. That might be educational.

11 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Take @Diantane with you folks for a Tanker Tuesday. That might be educational.

Everyone is always welcome, as long as they bring a tank!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gobbledigook said:

I had a lifetime account i bought before launch. Played it for 6 months then never returned lol. Don't know if still active? probably not.

I did the same, but played a bit longer, and even played again for a bit after CoH shut down in 2012, but the team play just can't compare to CoH. 

Every couple years I check back into my CO account to see how much monthly points I have saved up to buy new costume options/vehicles. Those seem to be the only new content that gets added outside of more stupid Lockboxes. I think I'm overdue since I haven't checked in since 2019. What could have happened in 2019?

You should check to see how many (Zen?) points you have during one of the sales that they have. You could probably buy most of the costume packs. Also, some of the Comic Series, like the on based on John Carpenter's "The Thing", called White Out, is pretty fun to run once or twice.

47 minutes ago, Pep Rally said:

I did the same, but played a bit longer, and even played again for a bit after CoH shut down in 2012, but the team play just can't compare to CoH. 

Every couple years I check back into my CO account to see how much monthly points I have saved up to buy new costume options/vehicles. Those seem to be the only new content that gets added outside of more stupid Lockboxes. I think I'm overdue since I haven't checked in since 2019. What could have happened in 2019?

You should check to see how many (Zen?) points you have during one of the sales that they have. You could probably buy most of the costume packs. Also, some of the Comic Series, like the on based on John Carpenter's "The Thing", called White Out, is pretty fun to run once or twice.

Yes i imagine there are quite a few points now.

I am having a problem though as it wants me to put a one time code in that has been sent to my old email that is discontinued. I have asked support for help so hopefully they can sort it. I can log into my account but not the game or change the email without this code.

4 hours ago, Death2Tyrants said:

Bah!  Silly little Tanker!

I will beat you.  Because I am smarter than you.  I am more rational than you.

You are a buffoo.

Sure!  But you momma so fat 💥💥💥💥

AAAAARGH!  I KILL YOU NOW!!!!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Wouldn't it be more about antagonizing an enemy, than intimidating them?  Regardless, it isn't so far fetched as to think that a tanker causing a "sick burn" couldn't actually damage someone psyche in a superhero game...

12 hours ago, ZemX said:

Taunt isn't for taunting what's near you.  It's a 70ft range, 15ft radius, 5 target, autohit, 41s Taunt w/-100% range debuff, and it has a base recharge of 10 seconds.

And you can enhance the range, duration, and recharge (and accuracy, but it always hits in PVE). I six-slot my taunt. If I could put ten slots in it, I would.

The accuracy should help the %damage proc.

On Tankers, I also 6-slot the Taunt, but I always opt for Mocking Beratement.

Is this the point at which I get grumpy that we don't have a Purple Threat Enhancement set? I totally want a %contagious threat (to mimic %contagious confusion).

Can I also complain about the utility of the D-Sync Provocation (Threat/Accuracy/Recharge) for non-Tankers driving the Black Market prices through the roof? I'm somewhat peeved that we don't have the following options for actual Threat Enhancements:

• Threat/Endurance Reduction
  • Threat/Accuracy

I'm fine with Range being prevalent... but some characters want/need to boost Accuracy as well as Threat (with few slots), and Taunt auras could certainly benefit from Threat/Endurance Reduction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

The Six Fingers of Shame beckon you!

I know it wouldn't be appropriate for the current intent and rating of the game, but how funny would it be for it to be the six MIDDLE fingers of shame...

🖕 🖕 🖕 🖕 🖕 🖕

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, biostem said:

Wouldn't it be more about antagonizing an enemy, than intimidating them?  Regardless, it isn't so far fetched as to think that a tanker causing a "sick burn" couldn't actually damage someone psyche in a superhero game...

Imagine antagonizing/intimidating an enemy to a point they would rather stand on a puddle of burning napalm just so that they can hit you.

Just now, Sovera said:

Imagine antagonizing/intimidating an enemy to a point they would rather stand on a puddle of burning napalm just so that they can hit you.

Much as I have enjoyed playing tanks in this game, I have always thought the whole idea of Taunt was some kind of hack that was only created after the person who first created the MMO tank belatedly realized that they'd invented something no one in their right mind would ever even bother attacking otherwise.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

Much as I have enjoyed playing tanks in this game, I have always thought the whole idea of Taunt was some kind of hack that was only created after the person who first created the MMO tank belatedly realized that they'd invented something no one in their right mind would ever even bother attacking otherwise.

Yes.  But supervillains are notoriously irrational.

All pride and attitude.

And you eff with that at your own peril.

So, a good "Yo momma" joke later, and you're smiling at them as they try to dent your face.

Tank: Ah.  A little to the left!  Left!  The cramp is right there!  AHHHHHHHH!

13 hours ago, tidge said:

Can I also complain about the utility of the D-Sync Provocation (Threat/Accuracy/Recharge) for non-Tankers driving the Black Market prices through the roof? I'm somewhat peeved that we don't have the following options for actual Threat Enhancements:

• Threat/Endurance Reduction
  • Threat/Accuracy

I tried to suggest way back when that Acc/Recharge D-Syncs would of been better to have as its own D-Sync or even its own HO/SHO, as yes it being tied to a threat Dsync artificially drives the price of it up.

Either that or let us convert D-Syncs.

I do like the idea of a contagious taunt proc as well.

• Thumbs Up 1